PDA

View Full Version : Dust Removal

mcdanita
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
What is the best way to remove dust from a car between washes.

Monte78Carlo2k1
03-04-2007, 09:50 PM
If its not too dusty; I would suggest that you use a CCD(california car duster) then follow with a QD(quick detailer). If its to dirty just give it a wash.

brwill2005
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
A damp MF.

gb387
03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
If its not too dusty; I would suggest that you use a CCD(california car duster) then follow with a QD(quick detailer). If its to dirty just give it a wash.

This is my process... works very well and IMO about as safe as it gets. Remember to use quality microfibers (something like Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber towel).

Kriminal
03-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Ditto above. If you`re gonna use a QD spray though (always handy to carry in the trunk with a nice MF towel) it`s best to use on a waxed surface.....so ALWAYS wax your car bud

Accumulator
03-05-2007, 12:15 PM
My vote is to not worry about it and never touch the paint except when doing a full wash. Try as I might, I can`t use any of the usually-suggested methods with a 100% certainty of not marring the paint to some extent.

touchofdetail
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
ur saying if u have minimal dust? one should wash the car?

Sergei
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I think he is saying, wait to wash until it`s dirty. Leave the paint alone, even if it`s dusty.

In my opinion, I can`t stand to see my car dusty. I us a CA duster for light dust. That`s the line in the sand, when using a CA duster. Let it glide through the paint with no weight on the paint. I shake it out after each panel. My technique is to dust on top, above the trim line. Then I do below the trim line/bumpers. I then QD afterwards doing the same technique of wiping above the trim lines, and switching to a new MF to finish off below the trim/bumper areas.

However, before dusting I check the splash guards and the areas right behind the wheel. I lightly spray with a mild soap solution and wipe off the road grime residue on the splash guard and the area behind it - being ever so careful not too scratch the paint. While I am down below, I then do the wheels. After I do this procedure, I can do a CA dust. **I never use the CA Duster if the car is dirty. That`s when it`s time to wash or leave it for the day you can wash it.

To each is own... you just have to inspect to make sure that your technique is not introducing swirls or marring. You are your own gatekeeper.

Accumulator
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I think [Accumulator] is saying, wait to wash until it`s dirty. Leave the paint alone, even if it`s dusty..

Yeah, that`s what I meant.

sharky nrk
03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
its apparently extremly easy to introduce marring :( I had some crust on an emblem and happend to have a detailing brush. Yeah I introduced a couple of defects with an extremely light soft brush - sigh - well I better just get used it it until I get a garage again as the car sits outside and every day it gets worse and worse

sharky nrk
03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
To each is own... you just have to inspect to make sure that your technique is not introducing swirls or marring. You are your own gatekeeper.

thats my paints biggest problem - I am a crappy gatekeeper :sadpace:

captkirk2
03-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I use a damp mf and pull very lightly across the surface by the 2 leading corners. Flip onto the other side. No friction to speak of and the dirt clings to the cloth. Then I rinse, wring and move on.

budman3
03-05-2007, 08:46 PM
ur saying if u have minimal dust? one should wash the car?

Nobody mentions Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe???? This hands down the best way to keep your vehicle clean between washes. If you have moderate dust bust out the CCD and then follow up with Spray and Wipe. IMO everyone should have a bottle of S&W.

natebood
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I agree with the S&W, I use it more than any other product in my arsenal.