PDA

View Full Version : Pricing?

LastDetail
05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Do any of you guys charge different prices for SUVs versus regular sized cars?
What kind of cost breakdown do you have for different services?
What do you charge for a full detail, including claying, polishing, glazing interior etc?

audiboy
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
My business partner and I try to average $25.00 an hour. That way, if the vehicle is larger or is more dirty, we get an appropriate amount for our services.

Jngrbrdman
05-03-2005, 10:05 PM
$25 an hour is pretty cheap. I go at least $40 an hour by myself. An SUV is usually something that will be $120 - $150 depending on the condition and what they want to have done. It works well for me because it typically takes 3+ hours to do a truck like that. I`ve got my process of breaking down prices here on OCDetails.com. (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/making_money.html) I don`t do a whole lot of detailing these days, so I don`t mind making my pricing public. Usually you don`t want your customers to know what you are charging per hour. Just give them a rate for the job and let them do the math. Since you have to quote the price before you do the work you can`t really give them an hourly rate. Just be good at estimating how long it will take to do the job so you don`t eat too much. If you quote an hour and it takes 3 then you can`t go back and change your price.

LastDetail
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Jngrbrdman Thank you so much, that article was extremely helpful.

Jngrbrdman
05-03-2005, 10:49 PM
:) That`s what its there for. I`m glad I could help. :bigups

SA Detailer
05-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Even $40 is cheap, we average about $65 an hour.

Jngrbrdman
05-04-2005, 09:45 AM
If I had more overhead like rent or insurance or something like that then I would probably charge more too. I think its also relative to what the market can bear. For what I do the price I charge is competitive in the area. People around here just don`t pay more than that for a detail. The people with the high end cars might, but there are more Civics in town than Enzos, so I focus on the majority.

Secret Chimp
05-05-2005, 01:33 AM
Even $40 is cheap, we average about $65 an hour.

I bill at appx $65-75 an hour. I won`t touch an SUV (MB G55, Escalade) for less than $180. Most average $200. There are a lot of other detailers in my area who charge a lot more. Detailing is a profession. Don`t sell yourselves short guys!

But most certainly it also depends on what prices the neighborhood will support. Southern Fla has a cost of living that is one of the cheapest in the country. Southern CA has one of the highest.

LastDetail
05-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Hey we are both in the OC!
I think that means we are competitors. Hahahaha.
But seriously people will pay extraordinary amounts of money for their cars. I mean I know I have a sickness but some of these people are downright ridiculous. It`s great though, keeps us all in business.

Jngrbrdman
05-05-2005, 10:54 AM
$40 bucks an hour isn`t selling myself short. Its what the market will bear in my area for a mobile detailer who works out of his client`s garages. Like I said, with more overhead I would probably charge more, but I would also probably have to start focusing on a different income level. If 75% of my wage is going to get ate up with taxes and overhead then I`d have to stop working on low dollar jobs.

Hawaiianelement
05-06-2005, 11:47 PM
$40 bucks an hour isn`t selling myself short. Its what the market will bear in my area for a mobile detailer who works out of his client`s garages. Like I said, with more overhead I would probably charge more, but I would also probably have to start focusing on a different income level. If 75% of my wage is going to get ate up with taxes and overhead then I`d have to stop working on low dollar jobs.

No doubt J man !

I charge 150 for cars , 175 for trucks and 200 for full size anything..Its about average in Hawaii for Mobile . Using their power and water. It would be a little low for a storefront op though. Being mobile is very low overhead. I highly recommend it .

audiboy
05-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Don`t sell yourselves short guys!

$25 an hour is about the most expensive that I can charge and still get customers. Showering hasn`t caught on in Arkansas yet, so you can only imagine where detailed automobiles is on their priority list.

Disclaimer: I am not from Arkansas. I got stationed here as part of what I like to think was a sick joke.

pt91
05-07-2005, 12:15 PM
$25 an hour is about the most expensive that I can charge and still get customers. Showering hasn`t caught on in Arkansas yet, so you can only imagine where detailed automobiles is on their priority list.

Disclaimer: I am not from Arkansas. I got stationed here as part of what I like to think was a sick joke.

Not everyone in AR keeps a dirty car or won`t pay for a quality detail. The closer you get to Little Rock, the better chance I think you would have of charging more.
There are even a few exotic cars around.
How are you finding clients?

I was not born here either but find it a nice place to live.

audiboy
05-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Not everyone in AR keeps a dirty car or won`t pay for a quality detail. The closer you get to Little Rock, the better chance I think you would have of charging more.
There are even a few exotic cars around.
How are you finding clients?

I was not born here either but find it a nice place to live.

All of our clients are either from the base, Jacksonville, or Cabot. Yes, I too have seen the few exotic cars but they are few and far between.

PlatinumEdition
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Remember this keep your quality high and begin to work your prices up and always when you do a menu always put what you want to charge say 50 per hour then put what you are charging now so they feel they are getting a good deal and it is not what you will be charging later on.Hope this helps.You would be surprised who has money sitting in the bank.