PDA

View Full Version : How to get started in the business?

Pages : [1] 2

cobrar97
03-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Since 16, I`ve always been in love with cars and making them "shine". I one of those people that some think are crazy because I`m obsessed with my vehicle appearance. I`ve detailed cars for family, friends, and a few people that just asked me to.

I`m now interested in going to the next level. I very much enjoy automotive detailing, but don`t know what to do to get started in the business.

What`s the best way to get the ball rolling in the detailing business? What do I need, how do I get customers, and what do I charge to make money doing it? I`m from a sales/marketing backround and deal well with people. I just need infomation on what`s needed to start and how I make it profitable to keep in going...and keep it growing.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

imported_speedingpenguin
03-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Word of mouth I think would probably be your best bet for starting out...

As for what you need, it probably depends on how far into the business you want to get. If you want to offer a basic car wash / detailing service, I`d imagine you could get away with (besides from the obvious car wash soap, wash mitt, microfiber towells, carpet and uphulstry cleaner, etc.) some basic OTC paint cleaners, polishes, waxes, interior dressings, etc. and price your services accordingly. If you want to get further in to the business and offer more professional detailing services, thats when you get into machine polishing and the higher end chemicals. Again, the services you provide will factor in to what you charge. Be fair and reasonable and do a good job and you will probably have people tell their friends and family about you, which is how you can expand your business for cheap.

Of course, this is coming from another person who is just getting in to the independant detailing business himself as well, but from my own limited experience and even just common sense this should be a good BASIC starting point. Good luck man!

jtford95
03-03-2007, 03:50 AM
Go to mobleworks.com. There is alot of info,books, tapes everything from the pros to get you started. Good luck with your venture!! Joe:hifive: :bestwish

cobrar97
03-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Ok thanks. One questions, when starting out, how many details should 1 person be doing a day (on average), and how much money should 1 person generate? This would be per person that would be performing the work. I know that prices are different for different services, but the lower the cost of service, the less time is spent. I`m simply asking for a basic 1 person day expected revenue and average workload to be successful.

themonkeywithin
03-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Depends on you definition of successful. My business is currently successful because I cover overheads, make a profit for myself, get lots of repeat custom and plenty of word of mouth refferals.

If it`s your own business you define how sucessful you are. Work out your overheads and add how much profit you want (up to what the customers are willing to pay and depending on competitors, of course!)

cobrar97
03-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I`m just looking for the industry average new a new, small start-up.

themonkeywithin
03-03-2007, 08:45 AM
How about setting a target for yourself and work towards acheiving that? That way you`ve got an incentive to go out and chase for the work. Relying on an average from someone elses business is not the right way to go - well, maybe it is, but it wasn`t for me.

jimmybuffit
03-03-2007, 08:45 AM
You`ll get different opinions on this topic, but I can only do one complete detail per day. Well, 6 to 8 hours per vehicle. We like to think that we are efficient and very thorough, and our referrals support that. If you can charge $200-250 per vehicle, and you work 6 full days, your gross/total income could be $1350 per week, or $67,500 per year. Lots of expenses have to come out of that number, but you could make a living at that level.

Get a helper ($10/hour), and you really start to generate some cash.

Course, you need the business, and that won`t be there (in volume) in the beginning, so you`ll need some cash/capital to support you and the business in the slow beginning months.

It has been said that one needs to become only a good detailer, but a VERY good businessman. I feel very strongly about that one!

Where are you located?

Good Luck!

imported_WCD
03-03-2007, 09:12 AM
You really need to continue doing your homework and this is one small step. In order for you to understand how much to charge, you need to find out what it costs YOU to detail a car, how profit or amount is required for you to be satisfied, get formal training, takea business course, etc.

Here are a few:

Attention To Details | Aircraft Detailing | Auto Detailing | Specialized Detail Training (http://www.detailingsuccess.com) (business training + technical training) More of a longer term mentorship program- one-one training

Kleen-car- not sure of the site

Auto Detailing Business Opportunity (http://www.detailking.com)

Automotive International - Valugard Product Line (http://www.autoint.com) (I`m going next week)

Resources:

Mobileworks |Auto Detailing Business Resources | Mobile Detailing (http://www.mobileworks.com)

Ask your local distributor if they provide training...if it`s just a guy with a truck selling product, be a little skeptical.

Read: The E-Myth Revisited, The Secrets of Word-To-Word Marketing, Detailing Trade Mags- Mobile Tech, Auto Reconditioning, PC and D.

Tech: Get Quickbooks, MS Publisher, and an account with Constant Contact. Build a website. Create a business plan, or at least write SOMETHING down on paper that helps you stay focused.

Pricing-really research this one. More and more detailers are NOT posting prices. The concept is value. Do NOT discount to get customers- you will lose them the same way.

Join: Chamber of Commerce, or local networking group, Detailer`s Association

Attend: The Detailer`s Conference in a few weeks!!! It`s in Ontario, CA. This would be the best possible conference for a future or current business owner of detailing. Also, Mobile Tech Expo in Florida next year- best networking you will ever get!!!

That`s a start...:) You remind me of myself---I put together a restaurant and had a menu with I was 6 yrs. old. Painted the menu on a piece of wood. Sold shoes at 15 (rated in the top 3 our of 5 combined stores), worked a shrimp boat, managed a fish market, and a few others before high school ended. Keep focused and create a plan.

Rob Regan

cobrar97
03-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Awsome...I`ll read over everything. Also, I live in Marion, OH

imported_WCD
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Not sure how far this is from Dayton, but if you ever want to talk shop over lunch, let me know.

Rob Regan

cobrar97
03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Has anybody participated in the Detail King seminar? Is the company and information they have any good? Auto Detailing Business Opportunity (http://www.detailking.com/)

I see then have a 2-day class coming up. Would it be worth attending?

jimmybuffit
03-04-2007, 02:01 AM
ValuGard in Cincinnati offers a fine 2-3 day "Prep Excellence". I took it five years ago, and am contemplating sending two of my techs this Spring...

Automotive International - Prep Excellence School (http://autoint.com/prep.php)

Here`s a tease: We`ll offer a full day Seminar on the use of the Porter Cable 7424 for Paint Correction On March 24th. Meet Mike Phillips!

Good Luck!

Jim

cobrar97
03-04-2007, 08:27 AM
I went to ValuGard`s website and cannot find anything on the 1-day seminar on the PC. Do you have any info...and what is the cost?

cobrar97
03-04-2007, 08:49 AM
What are the best "Professional Products"? I notice that most places like Detail King and Automotive Internation that offers traing and classes also offers products. Are you guys using those products or something else. Except for cost, are Professional Products better that those talked about in the regular detailing sections: Zaino, CG, Pinnacle, etc?

Basically, what is everybody using and where are you getting it?