PDA

View Full Version : How can i smooth out `orange skin` lacquer?

keysersoze81
03-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a couple of paint chips on my wheel arches so i decided to sand down to the bare metal to get rid of any rust. I then built up the layers using primer and sprayed on some body colour paint. The final stage was spraying on a layer of clear lacquer. The problem i have now is that the lacquer doesn`t blend in with the rest of the bodywork. The colour matches fine but the lacquer spreads out onto the shiny clearcoat and just gives the appearance of hazy orange skin.

Is it possible to polish down to a smooth finish on this lacquer? If i have to sand down again to remove the orange skin effect, how do i apply more lacquer and blend it with the existing clearcoat? It seems an impossible task to me?! Any help would be much appreciated.

imported_Bence
03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
You don`t have to add more clear, just do a careful, fine wetsanding with 3000-4000 grit (you can use 2000 initially) and then bring back the gloss with proper polishing. It isn`t impossible but the process needs expertise and the utmost care.

imported_steveo3002
03-03-2007, 05:23 AM
chances are you will pick up the edge where new meets old

a paint shop would have faded out the clear a little further for each coat so it steps down , and then disolve/blend in the last coat with slow thinner....carefull polishing can then make it blend in nicley , but if your a regular buffer then clear coat the whole panel so you dont pick up the edge