PDA

View Full Version : Yet another entrepreneur here with questions

oekundar
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
First I would like to thank PaintPolisher for recommending this website to me. Secondly I would like to thank you all for the countless threads helping others as well as myself. Now to the issue/topic at hand.

I am looking to start a mobile car wash business, hopefully to be able to add full detailing to our list of offerings within the near future. We (wife and I) currently have 3 vehicles (1 toyota corolla S (her car), my BMW 528iT, and my maxima). My maxima is my commuter car as I have racked up 250k miles and going. I am explaining all this because in researching this business, there are several options for a vehicle for transporting gear.

1) Buy a 4th vehicle, a van suitable for carrying the necessary equipment for a mobile car wash service.

2) Purchase a tow hitch for the maxima as well as a trailer which will house the equipment.

I am leaning towards the van and possibly getting rid of the maxima...haven`t made up my mind as to that yet.

Would you folks please share your experiences and or opinions as to which way would be best to go.

ALSO:

What should I be looking for in a compressor/tank/actual equipment?

I have been on several sites and seen some of the offerings and wondering why I couldn`t put my own `kit` together.

Many thanks!

-=Ola=-

BobD
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Personally I would prefer a van dedicated just for the business. However, a trailer can be stored and put out of the way and disconnected easy and will be cheaper than another vehicle.

MikeN
03-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Trailer is just more convenient for me... Don`t have the big expense of keeping up with another vehicle, insurance, etc. You can get away with a fairly small trailer too if you want to.

As for supplies... basics as you know would be: gas generator ($200-2K), elec or gas pressure washer ($100-1K), water tank ($100-300, hose reel ($100-250), and misc. supplies.

Other items to include could be your wet/dry vac, air compressor, extractor (carpet), gray water tank, etc. This just depends on your budget, needs, space, etc. Of course, think these items through. If you decide to add them later, you may have wanted to have a bigger generator/pressure washer/tank, etc.

If you look at it on the low side... you can get a brand new open trailer for ~$750, wet/dry vac & attachments for $100, 150+ gal tank for ~$175, 3000w generator for ~$500, 1600+ PSI elec. pressure washer for ~$175, hose reel and hose for ~$100.

You are only at ~$1800 at that point, and are in business. If you go enclosed, and beef up some of your equipment... you are looking more at around the $4K range.

MikeN
03-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Not that you are asking.. but here are a few items that would work well in the little better setup:

New 5x8 enclosed trailer (numerous found in the $1300-1500 price range)), Hose Reel (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200322959_200322959), Onan Generator (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331562_200331562), 125 gal tank (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200114574_200114574?cm_sp=Customer%20 driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Search%20Page), 2700 psi gas pressure washer (Honda motor) (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200241324_200241324), PC 4gal, 3hp elec compressor (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200197074_200197074), and you could go on :)

oekundar
03-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Mike!

imported_WCD
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Insurance, license with the city, marketing, water containment, networking groups, chamber of commerce, training, etc.

It`s not just about the equipment, but usually that is the most exciting purchase.

Rob Regan

oekundar
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Insurance, license with the city, marketing, water containment, networking groups, chamber of commerce, training, etc.

It`s not just about the equipment, but usually that is the most exciting purchase.

Rob Regan

Rob,

I have seen many products specifically dealing with the water containment. Are there specifict rules/regulations regarding that?

I plan on doing all necessary licensing, any specifics you can give related to the insurance aspect of the business?

imported_WCD
03-05-2007, 03:38 PM
You will need to check with your city gov. and look into how they are or are not enforcing the law--Clean Water Act. It`s a federal situation, but you dont` want to be caught as it can be very costly. My city sends a patrol car that issues you a misdemeanor. Some are fined up to $7500 that day!

Other places are not quite there and the city employees will look like you are from outer space when you show them your containment set-up. Some detailers, more than those who use containment, balk at the enforcement and state, "My customers are in high income homes and I don`t detail on city property." I guess that will work for not getting caught, but it doesn`t excuse the law- no matter how outta wack it seems to be as you see painters cleaning their equipment in gutters all the time and concrete workers doing the same. When it rains, where does all the oil go? However, you just want to make sure you are on the side of the city. It can be quite lucrative. If you are the ONLY one in town doing this, sell it to the city and get an account doing the city vehicles. Work on city property- golf courses, parking lots, etc. Talk with commerical building owners and sell them on the added value to their clients (the ones renting their buildings). Wear the suit and tie and put a presentation together. I`ve seen guys work these lots and then the property manager comes along one day and kicks them off. Doesn`t matter if someone wants you there, the prop. manager is responsible for the care and liability of the prop. If you get in with some of these guys, you can really work it.

Schools-PTA`s need monies to run programs. Attend a meeting and give them a presentation of what you do. Explain that you will work with an ongoing fundraiser where you give a percentage back to the PTA- up your prices so you are not losing money. This could generate long-term clients and helps you gain trust within your community. There are restaurants around Dayton that do not advertise in anything except local school newspapers, or community papers- nothing big. They are packed all the time..they support little league teams and things like that. They make themselves a part of the community. Guess what happens when newcomers ask a realtor for a good place to eat? Yes, they all push that "community" business over the big boxes.

Hope that helps, Rob

Hammar
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Rob,

Very well said. I feel that everyone who is mobile should do their part in saving the environment. I use the vacu-berm system and love it.

Dave