PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Gray Clay Bar

Pages : [1] 2

ptim
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
After using it on two different vehicles, I noticed that my Sonus Gray Clay Bar has caused scratches. The first time, I blamed it on improper cleaning. But after the second time, I know what’s causing it. I used it with plenty of Megs QD. I also have some of the Green Ultra fine Clay, I`m not sure if it will cause the same problems. I have never experienced this with any other clay.

coupe
03-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Is this a statement or a question?

57 wax
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Clay Aiken caused your scratches !!!! Sonus clay didn`t !!!!!

`Clay, it`s not for everybody"

BobD
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
It is a medium clay that can scratch some softer paint and will require a polish afterwards.

Accumulator
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
After using it on two different vehicles, I noticed that my Sonus Gray Clay Bar has caused scratches. The first time, I blamed it on improper cleaning. But after the second time, I know what’s causing it. I used it with plenty of Megs QD. I also have some of the Green Ultra fine Clay, I`m not sure if it will cause the same problems. I have never experienced this with any other clay.

Having used earlier versions of Sonus gray, I always thought people who said that were doing something wrong. I even bought all of RAG`s Sonus gray off him as I`d never had a problem with it. But then I used a bar of what RAG sent me and....

Yeah, the current version of Sonus gray (v3.0 IRRC) *can* mar paint, even pretty hard clear...it sure marred up my `97 M3, only time I`ve had marring like this from claying and I`ve been claying since "detailing" clay came out around 1990.

The last reformulation of the Sonus gray changed it to a more aggressive product, so you gotta be careful with it and be prepared to do some polishing. It sure works great for aggressive claying though, cleans up the back sides of wheels very well.

There *are* clays that won`t mar, and I use those for jobs that don`t require the bite of the Sonus gray but do require more aggressiveness than offered by the Sonus green.

The Sonus *green* Ultra-Fine absolutely will not mar automotive paint, even soft lacquer, if it`s used correctly.

ptim
03-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Is this a statement or a question?

It is a statement or a fact.

twitch
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
It caused a great deal of scratching and marring on my gf`s tC. The tC is known however to have very soft paint.

I am particular now when using the Sonus gray clay. ;)

57 wax
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
If you have a problem with the Sonus clay take it up with Davidb this bashing of Sonus is not good at all.. I look for the MODS to delete this thread now !!!!

maesal
03-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I used it twice. The first time, in my black car and it marred the paint, wich is normal hardness. Today I clayed with it a harder paint from a grey Audi A8 and it didn`t marr the paint. I`ll use it just in the case that I polish after claying.

imported_Nimble
03-02-2007, 08:44 PM
If you have a problem with the Sonus clay take it up with Davidb this bashing of Sonus is not good at all.. I look for the MODS to delete this thread now !!!!

It`s a discussion forum, relax guy. So one Sonus product needs a little reworking, big deal. The world will still go on. :idea

twitch
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM

It`s not a secret, it`s been discussed before. IMO there is nothing in this thread that would cause it to be deleted.

And no one is really bashing the clay. Just giving an FYI that it is not a mild clay so use caution on certain finishes.

The beauty of Autopia is we discuss products and their performance openly. When something is noticed with a product it`s mentioned and discussed not hidden away by the mods. :clap:

ptim
03-02-2007, 09:58 PM

It was`nt my intention to bash anything, I was just stating my experience with the product. I learned from these posts that this clay isn`t for me. Just like all polishes and waxes aren`t for me or anybody else.

Accumulator
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I hope my posts about marring with the Sonus gray don`t come across as bashing, as IMO that`s like saying "hey, this H-T EC left micromarring!"...it`s not a bash, just an observation that somebody might benefit from.

I *have* discussed this with DavidB (before I posted anything) as I was so concerned that I wondered if a bad batch of clay had slipped through. Nope, it was a deliberate reformulation designed to make the clay more effective at what it`s made for, it`s fairly aggressive clay.

If *I* commissioned a batch of clay, I`d have it made less aggressive, like the previous version..but I`m not in the detailing products business so I have to have a few different ones on hand to cover all the bases. Nothing inherently *wrong* with any of them, they`re just different.

maesal-That`s interesting about the A8, thanks for posting it! I`ve been leery of using this version of Sonus gray on our Audis for fear of marring. Interesting that it marred up my BMW so badly as I`m finding its clear to be about as hard as the Audis` :nixweiss Maybe small differences in hardness are enough to make *all* the difference.

I agree, it`s best to use this stuff when you`re gonna polish anyhow.

Hondaph00l
03-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Dont pay attention to him, he has done nothing but contribute worthless posts this board and needs to be banned(see his other posts lol). As far as marring, the gray clay is an aggressive clay and all aggressive clay will leave slight marring that needs to be polished out correct? How does this compare to the red clay magic clay? I would imagine they should both be reserved for taking off stuff that the green/blue versions would take forever to remove.

Accumulator
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Hondaph00l- I`ve never used the Claymagic red (or the Meg`s overspray clay), but I`d expect them to be a good bit more aggressive than the Sonus gray. Most people who use Claymagic are very happy with how their regular clay works.