PDA

View Full Version : Why LC White Pads Frustrate Me . . .

Pages : [1] 2

imported_iceberg
03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
. . . Because they seem to love mold. And I didn`t even use this pad!!!

I recently got some 5.5" LC White and Orange pads to use on my RO. What happened was that I had used an orange pad, washed it, let it dry for a day, and then put this white pad on top of it (face-to-face). I put them both in a Ziplock bag, but didn`t close it all the way so that they could still vent.

Well, I guess the orange pad wasn`t completely dry (I swear it was completely dry to the touch) because I come back a few days later and see that my LC White pad now has black mold spots on it. I learned before to always let the white pads dry for a LONG time because I once let one dry for 3 or 4 days, put it in a Ziplock, sealed it, and then it basically turned grey with mold after a few weeks. So I know they like water and mold. But this is crazy.

I`ve already tried to wash it with some bleach, but didn`t help. Oh well. Word to the wise, make sure you really, really, really keep your LC white pads dry. :cry:

Setec Astronomy
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I find that the thick backing (velcro) on some of the LC pads really holds the water. I let them dry for a long time (frequently on a laundry room drying rack, so the air can get to both sides), then I store them in a plastic tub, so they can breathe a bit in there.

BigJimZ28
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
what does this have to do with LC pads?

why are do they frustrate you?

you put any wet pad in a plastic bag and this will happen!

SVR
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
That`s why I don`t put them in bags. I let them dry outside but in the shade with the polishing side up and before putting them in my big plastic tubs, they each get to go for a spin on the rotary at 2500 rpm for 5 seconds

That will make sure they are dry.

imported_iceberg
03-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I`m definitely going to move away from putting them in bags, but I`ve *never* had a problem with any pad but the white ones.

mr.ikon
03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
man that sucks. yup a sew seconds on the rotary is what i do before i let them air dry.

Scottwax
03-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I put mine in bags but I don`t seal them.

wannafbody
03-02-2007, 12:00 AM
i had mold develope on a Megs finishing pad - single pad per bag and don`t seal them

Envious Eric
03-02-2007, 12:36 AM
i dont bag mine, nothing wrong....just spin dry on the PC, and le them sit in the sun to dry if I cleaned them....

again, nothing wrong with my megs pads, excel pads, or LC pads

imported_Nimble
03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
Kind of seems like user error to me. Face to face after washing; then placed in a plastic bag? What did you think was going to happen? I leave mine in a pastic bag fully unzipped, one to a bag, no problems.

BigAl3
03-02-2007, 01:38 AM
there`s nothing wrong with putting them in a ziploc sealed, you just need to make sure they`re full dried. when i get done using my pads, i sling out the excess water and let them dry on the grit guard for a day or two. haven`t had any problems...

imported_iceberg
03-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Let`s try this again.

ORANGE pad was washed. Spun dry on my rotary at 3000 RPM. Then air dried for a over a day. Felt completely dry to the touch.

THEN, I put it face to face onto the brand new, unused WHITE pad for temporary storage. A few days later, I see that it had developed spots.

I`ve done this a few times with orange and black LC pads or Megs 8006 and 9006 pads and it *never* happens.

BigAl3
03-02-2007, 02:22 AM
try using this stuff, it can be found at wal-mart for around $3...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0006M50RK.01-

ZaneO
03-02-2007, 02:22 AM
Never ever had this happen with any pad.

BigAl3
03-02-2007, 02:27 AM
try this stuff (worth a try and if it doesn`t work, you`ll eventually use it on something else), it can be found at your local wal-mart for around $3. here`s a thread about it... http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83734-dawn-power-dissolver.html?highlight=dawn+power+dissolver eliot ness has had good luck with it...

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-1188660reg.jpg