PDA

View Full Version : Megs #7 with finishing pad?

97FLAIRSIDE
05-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Going to polise the jetta tomorrow after work and going to try out the meg`s #7, do I use the finishing pad to apply it? I plan on using PB`s ssr1 aswell, then megs 7, ex(a few coats), then #26(few coats).

joyriide1113
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
do u have 2 finishing pads??? if not u can always use a polishign pad for it.

the reason i think a finshing pad is preferred for glazes and waxes and polishing/cutting pads for polsihes is that the finshing pads are soo soft that they absorbs and just keep releasing product without really working it in, which is somehting that is not needed when it comes to a wax/glaze. all u really want is for it to spread. where as a polish u need it to be worked into the surface well for it to do its job and thats why the polishing pad is much firmer and dense, so it can press and rub the polish into the surface.

hope i was clear.

sorry.

97FLAIRSIDE
05-04-2005, 06:31 AM
1 finishing pad and thats all. I need to get some new pads and stock an extra finishing pad maybe.

Don
05-04-2005, 06:49 AM
I asked Mike Phillips a similar question, and he told me that Megs pure polishes (like #7) don`t need to be worked in, just apply (thinly) and remove.

CharlesW
05-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Going to polise the jetta tomorrow after work and going to try out the meg`s #7, do I use the finishing pad to apply it? I plan on using PB`s ssr1 aswell, then megs 7, ex(a few coats), then #26(few coats).Won`t you be compromising the EX, (a sealant), by using it over the #7, (a glaze with lots of oil content)?
It may look great, but it seems like it would not have the greatest of durability.
Given the products you have, EX after the SSR1 might be a better choice.
:dunno

Charles

97FLAIRSIDE
05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Won`t you be compromising the EX, (a sealant), by using it over the #7, (a glaze with lots of oil content)?
It may look great, but it seems like it would not have the greatest of durability.
Given the products you have, EX after the SSR1 might be a better choice.
:dunno

Charles

I had asked someone else if the lineup i had set for the next cleaning was ok, and was assured it was.

I applied the ssr1 with the polishing pad, then #7 with the finsihing and then EX. I will apply some 26 maybe later today or tomorrow, but i was tired and sore as hell once again.

But the car is amazing, the gloss is unbelievable. I had a few nice stares yesterday.

matthiasj
05-08-2005, 10:51 PM
is #26 a sealant?

Don
05-09-2005, 04:32 AM
is #26 a sealant?

Carnuaba

Debelli
05-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Just when you THINK you have everything...

I`ve never heard of a finishing pad:eek Is there such a thing as a finishing pad bonnet that you can put on a 6" orbital buffer? Wondering what kind of bonnets I should have to use this little guy. Do you need to use ultra soft terry bonnets? Should I toss out the synthetic wool bonnet, or keep it and use it under another bonnet?

As always, help answering what probably appear to be stupid questions are always greatly appreciated! If I ever get BEYOND washing and drying my car, it will be a miracle!

THANKS!

JaredPointer
05-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Should I toss out the synthetic wool bonnet, or keep it and use it under another bonnet?

Yep. IMHO of course. :)

I think the "pad" or bonnet selection you are going to have with your buffer is prety limited. I`d stick with the softest terry ones you can find and the MF ones. Just select them with care. I guess that`s all the advice I can give you on that subject.