PDA

View Full Version : Brace Yourselves - Scratch/swirl Mark Nightmare!

Pages : [1] 2

zimmy0615
03-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Hello all - I`m new to the site and have spent the past few weeks soaking in as much info as I could and i finally registered to post.

Boy do I have a problem....

my vehicle is a Galaxy Black 2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab. Ive had it for about a year and a half now and she`s been through just about everything from being washed in the "insert quarters do it yourself car washes", to using dirty towels, to using the wrong towels, to an attempted wet sanding session, to using caked/soiled rags to wax, basically - just about everything wrong that you can think of. After finding the sight and kicking myself time after time after time when i realized just how wrong ive been going about maintenence of my trucks paint, i decided to own up and find out how to do it the right way, now you may want to take a seat becuase the following pictures are not for the faint at heart -

anyway - i`d love to know the opinions of the experts and aside from the basics ive learned - what can i do to save my baby!?!?!?

from what i understand - wash (the right way), polish w/ ???? using the PC, and then wax?

ugh this is so frustrating, thanks for looking guys!

noooorb
03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
simillar thread:

Black BMW! someone help! - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697006)

Bigpoppa3346
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Wash, clay, heavy compound via machine, polish via machine, seal/wax. And get yourself some microfibers.

velobard
03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
My suggestion in this case is to find a pro (preferably an Autopian) to do the initial correction, watch while he`s working, then maintain it yourself from there. You have a handful for a novice to deal with. If you get someone with some good skill, you`ll be amazed at the difference.

imported_Nimble
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
That`ll buff right out. Just take some Turtle Wax red rubbing compound and a old bath towel...should be good as new. Then maintain with full service automatic cars washes....you know the ones with the hanging brushy things? Yeah those.

mikebai1990
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
That`ll buff right out. Just take some Turtle Wax red rubbing compound and a old bath towel...should be good as new. Then maintain with full service automatic cars washes....you know the ones with the hanging brushy things? Yeah those.

You`re joking, right?

imported_Nimble
03-01-2007, 07:07 PM
You`re joking, right?

:idea :chuckle:

imported_mosborn9
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
velobard, you make a good point. zimmy0615, what state or city do you live in? Finding someone near you that has the skills and would let you assist in the detail the 1st time would be valuable.

If you intend to tackle this yourself it sounds like you are going to need to invest in some tools and products. Starting from scratch, you could easily spend $200 for just the minimal things you will need. In addition, if you go the DA Polisher route, you need to have realistic expectations of how long this is going to take the first time. My guess the compounding and polishing step alone could easily take 5 - 8 hours. My point is plan on at least one full day minimally. Some people have the patience to do this and get great enjoyment from it while others hate it. Personally I love doing this but I can`t stand doing yard work. The good news in all of this is when you get it back shape maintaining it will be a lot easier as long as you use good washing and drying techniques.

imported_themightytimmah
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
You really want to find someone with a rotary - via PC that`s going to take 15+ hours for the whole truck. Even with a rotary, you`re looking at an 8-10 hour day for the exterior.

imported_Puckman
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
What`s your location?

zimmy0615
03-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys

I`m in Houston, Texas.

Yah I was really afraid of the whole $200 plus dollar thing, but you get what you pay for - i guess theres a reason my truck is in the shape its in today.

I wouldnt be opposed to seeking a proffessionals help (pref. autopian) and then just watching his steps. Im sure that from there, investing in a PC and the right polishes/waxes would make my life easier and keep my truck beutiful.

I dont mind a little hard work, but i can`t see myself PC`in it for 15+ hours!!

How much would some of you guys charge for a job like this? Theres bound to be a proff. detailer or 2 in the city of Houston that will take the job...

imported_rydawg
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
That is not bad at all. Find a pro to take care of it and just maintain it form there on. You will learn a lot here on that. Your on the right site anyway. A lot of great people here with a lot of help. Good Luck!

imported_rydawg
03-01-2007, 10:45 PM

:har: That was funny! I thought you were serious too.

:help: this man

:buffing: Is this you with the turtle wax

Woob
03-02-2007, 05:12 AM
:har: That was funny! I thought you were serious too.

:help: this man

:buffing: Is this you with the turtle wax

:har: :goodjob :aww: :furious:

ptaylor_9849
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Find a great professional detailer in your area and let him go at your truck with a rotary. I have seen unbelievable results from some pros on this site that you would swear it would have taken a body man to repair. You know what blows my mind though? We spend countless hours on this site trying to examine, inspect and dissect the perfect way to correct paint issues. In fact, we spend far more time trying to figure out HOW TO fix a problem than it would take a pro to actually fix it. But here`s the part that kills me the most. The paint on this truck could probably be brought back to showroom condition for under two hundred bucks. It`s not like pro detailers are crazy expensive. In short, this poor guy thinks his truck is trashed. But in reality, he`s about two hundred bucks away from it being treasured. He just needs to follow the good advice found here.

Patrick