PDA

View Full Version : non-aluminum staining engine degreaser?

simracer
03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey all,

Anyone know of an engine degreaser that won`t risk staining aluminum (and might be kind to the paint if there`s accidental overspray). Prefer an OTC solution if there is one. Sounds like Simple Green may be out as well as Castrol Purple.

Would the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner work? I figure it`s probably the same as the P21S Total Auto Wash.

Thanks for your suggestions!

sspeer
03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Orange Blast degreaser`s a big NO NO! made that mistake after a road trip on the bike..

S100 is probably a good choice, but I find it pretty mild.

I`d guess Dawn dilluted a bit would be great for this

imported_rydawg
03-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Pinkstuf is the best I have ever tried.It`s sold at VIP or Carquest. Great on tires and rims too.

BlueLibby04
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I just use Megs APC+. It smells just like the Pink Cleaner I used when I works at a dealer ship. I made sure to keep plenty of water on the paint while I was doing the engine. I then used Megs quik wax just incase.

simracer
03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Pinkstuf is the best I have ever tried.It`s sold at VIP or Carquest. Great on tires and rims too.

Rydawg,

What is VIP? I need to check and see if they have a Carquest in or around Tulsa.

Thanks!

Accumulator
03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Would the S100 Total Cycle Cleaner work? I figure it`s probably the same as the P21S Total Auto Wash...

If they are the same then it`ll be OK if a little mild. I use TAW for this (and oughta point out that people have been all :rolleyes: at the expense involved).

simracer
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
If they are the same then it`ll be OK if a little mild. I use TAW for this (and oughta point out that people have been all :rolleyes: at the expense involved).

Accumulator,

Which people? Other detailers or customers?

I don`t really care much about the expense. I just laid out $20 to have my sister pick up a couple of cans of CD-2 Engine Detailer and don`t mind laying out a little more for a proper cleaning solution before trying out the Engine Detailer.

Besides, most of the S100 products seem less expensive than the comparable P21S products.

imported_rydawg
03-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Rydawg,

What is VIP? I need to check and see if they have a Carquest in or around Tulsa.

Thanks!

Here is the site. There site stinks, but this is what the gallon looks like. Sometimes they are in clear gallons. I have used this stuff for 10 years and it is amazing. You can contact them and see who supplies it in your area.

I just spray under the hood and let sit for 10 min. and just hose off. Very rarely I will ever use a brush under the hood. Too sudsy on interiors and needs to be cut to like 1/50. It is also very slippery stuff.

http://pinkstuf.com

qadsan
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
...Sounds like Simple Green may be out...

Simple Green makes all kinds of products, but if you can find Extreme Simple Green (blue label bottle), then it will work well for cleaning and it won`t stain aluminum like their more commonly found industrial cleaner / degreaser (green label bottle). Here`s a link to it, but it might not be easy to find unless you have an aircraft parts or specialty shop near by. For anyone in SoCal wanting this product, you can get it directly from Aircraft Spruce in Corona CA. They also carry all kinds of clear / polsih / wax products in addition to selling Cyclo polishers and their pads, bonnets, brushes, etc .

Here`s a link to Simple Green for their Extreme Simple Green product...

Extreme Simple GreenĂ‚® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - More Info (http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php)

jimvegas00
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner, but if you have a very dirty motor it may be too mild as others have said. It works great on all my stuff.

Accumulator
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Accumulator,

Which people..[give you grief Re the cost of TAW]? Other detailers or customers.

No customers for me, I`m not a pro ;) I was referring to some friends from here, who were :eek: in a good-natured way about the TAW being too expensive for this. They suggested some other APC (Meguiar`s IIRC) that`s a lot cheaper.

I never did get around to buying any CD-2 but I hear it`s very, very good.

imported_Malachi
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Orange Blast degreaser`s a big NO NO! made that mistake after a road trip on the bike..

S100 is probably a good choice, but I find it pretty mild.

I`d guess Dawn dilluted a bit would be great for this

I have not had any problems with Orange Blast and I like to use it. Anybody else have a prblem with it, don`t want to push my luck....

sspeer
03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I have not had any problems with Orange Blast and I like to use it. Anybody else have a prblem with it, don`t want to push my luck....

For my situation, I sprayed the degreaser version on a warm (ok maybe a little hot) bike and it instantly oxidized any uncoated polished aluminum it touched..I`m sure the heat of the engine sped up the reaction, but it`s definitetly not harmless

What are you degreasing? a car, bike?

imported_Malachi
03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
For my situation, I sprayed the degreaser version on a warm (ok maybe a little hot) bike and it instantly oxidized any uncoated polished aluminum it touched..I`m sure the heat of the engine sped up the reaction, but it`s definitetly not harmless

What are you degreasing? a car, bike?

Engine compartment. I recently bought FK 221 and was not too impressed and thought I would go back to Orange Blast.

Below is a pic of an MDX compartment I did with Orange Blast and maybe a buggy steamer or something like that:

http://www.bmw540ifun.com/photogallery/MiscPics/Stitch%20Acura%20Engine%20Web.jpg

sspeer
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Simple Green makes all kinds of products, but if you can find Extreme Simple Green (blue label bottle), then it will work well for cleaning and it won`t stain aluminum like their more commonly found industrial cleaner / degreaser (green label bottle).

I saw `Simple Green Extreme Clean` at Sam`s Club today. I don`t know if it`s the same thing. I don`t see anything labeled `Extreme Clean` on their website, only Extreme