PDA

View Full Version : How to fix paint issue

lexusgs
03-01-2007, 01:33 AM
I have a few paint issues with my Lexus, the main one that is most noticeable are these spots that to me look like tree sap ate through the clear coat and discolored the paint. I noticed some smaller ones on my dads Acura so I think it is something around here. Is there any way to fix these spots or at least make them much less noticeable without repainting the whole hood. When you rub your hand over them it feels pretty smooth and not any different from the rest of the finish exept maybe a very minor pit or two. Here are some pics of what they are, sorry for the bad quality but the camera was not focusing right on them and there was alot of dust on the hood.

LastDetail
03-01-2007, 01:41 AM
About how big is that? Hard to tell from the pictures. You said that it feels smooth when you rub your hand across it, but can you feel it with your fingernail? It looks like some pretty bad etching. You might be able to fix it without having to go to paint, but we will need better pictures to make a recommendation.

velobard
03-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Hmmmm, I guess to make it less noticeable I might try ScratchX and follow up with some glaze with fillers before waxing. To help minimize future damage the best bet might be a few layers of carnauba wax as a sacraficial layer. Keep a kit in the car to attach fresh sap or bird bombs. In your case, I might include a small wad of clay to take care of the sap, along with a MF and QD.

jimmybuffit
03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
If it is etching, as the pics suggest, then respraying is pretty much the only solution. That sort of etching actually cracks/fractures/shatters the entire film build. A scratch would be of variable depth, this goes through.

In terms of prevention, assuming tree sap, 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol, dwell and massage with fingertip to dissolve.

Jim

lexusgs
03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
About how big is that? Hard to tell from the pictures. You said that it feels smooth when you rub your hand across it, but can you feel it with your fingernail? It looks like some pretty bad etching. You might be able to fix it without having to go to paint, but we will need better pictures to make a recommendation.

The biggest one is about an inch long and high, maybe the size of a quarter, plus the are a few smaller ones. You can barely feel it with your fingernails except maybe just a small part of it, it feels pretty smooth. Here are some more pics but they are pretty bad as the camera has trouble focusing on the spot and there is a limit to what I can post up on this site.