PDA

View Full Version : Better cheap rotary, Vector or HF??? Why?

SMRcalidiv
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
...Or are they the same tool with different badges? I have been reading that many people are getting good results with these inexpensive tools and being that I only take care of my own cars I don`t need a pricey rotary. Can you guys help me make up my mind between the two? I appreciate that everyone has their own preference, but please don`t turn this into a "buy a makita/hitachi/_____" thread. Thanks guys!!!

mr.ikon
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
well i cant tell you much besides that the vector is the only one i`ve tried. i`ve gotten great results with the machine, but the weight of it is what gets me at the end of work. never tried the harbor freight one because i couldnt find it at my local store. but in other words, im satisfied with the results it brings.

velobard
02-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I`ve read decent stuff here about the Vector other than it`s on the heavy side. Everytime someone bring up the HF models someone pitches in that they bog down much easier than the amp rating would indicate. I was seriously considering a Vector until I found a deal and came up with some extra money for a Metabo.

GlossyTundra
02-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Vector is really really heavy and has a annoying slow start feature, they bog also. The HF IMHO is much much much better and it will still bog a lil, but it`s lighter and easier to handle. HF has one that is electronically controlled thats a lil better than the normal one.

SMRcalidiv
02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
All of the HF ones list as a 9.8amp motor now, compared to the 11amp motor of the vector. What about the ATD 10511, I have heard its also a decent cheap alternative.

beachcities
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
so what happens when its time to buy wax? will you buy the cheapest one you can get away with then too? why buy a honda when you can just buy a hyundai?

GlossyTundra
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
so what happens when its time to buy wax? will you buy the cheapest one you can get away with then too? why buy a honda when you can just buy a hyundai?

I dont remember seeing in SMRcalidiv`s post where he asked you to be rude:nixweiss If you want to be rude then go to another forum, this is not the place for rudeness.:hm

Eliot Ness
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
All of the HF ones list as a 9.8amp motor now, compared to the 11amp motor of the vector. What about the ATD 10511, I have heard its also a decent cheap alternative.Here is another one for you to consider:

7" Proline Electric Sander Waxer Polisher (http://www.toolprice.com/product/6744L)

11 amps, soft start, 0-3000 rpm, and electronic speed control. Unfortunately I don`t know anyone who has tried it yet. Autopia member qadsan mentioned it in the following post:

http://autopia.org/forum/607747-post6.html

Another member here, justin30513, picked up a $29 Harbor Freight (92623-1VGA (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623)) and seems to like it, but he hasn`t posted a review for it yet. I picked that same HF up on sale a couple of months back for $19.95..... it was so cheap I couldn`t pass it up, but I haven`t tried it out yet. I have one of the older 11 amp HF`s (looks identical to the Vector except in color) and for as little rotary work that I do it has worked out fine.

One thing you`ll want to do if you buy a cheaper rotary is pick up a good backing plate. Keep us posted on what you decide to buy and then give us a review.
so what happens when its time to buy wax? will you buy the cheapest one you can get away with then too? why buy a honda when you can just buy a hyundai?If I used a rotary everyday or even two or three times a week, the HF wouldn`t be my first choice, but all it does is spin a pad, and it doesn`t take a rocket scientist to be proficient with either a cheap one or a name brand rotary. It might not be as convenient to use, but with a little common sense it accomplishes the same task.

velobard
02-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Do a search on Vector, there`s some good threads with info about it. Here`s one as an example.

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/69533-vector-polisher.html?highlight=vector

Look in the Trading forum, there was a guy there trying to sell a Porter Cable 7428 (the rotary model) and said he was willing to look at lowball offers.

jbraswell
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I really like the dewalt, its what I learned on and have always used. I also have an almost brand new porter cable and I honestly like the dewalt much better. The Porter Cable bogs too much for my liking.

SMRcalidiv
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM

There`s always gotta be one of these types of responses...for the record I don`t buy cheap wax, I also have a PC7336, and my car`s paint is not so crappy that I have to use a rotary on it every day of the week. So to buy a cheap rotary makes sense, besides the fact that many people are reporting that they work just fine. Its not like I enjoy wasting money so to pass up a cheap alternative would just be dumb. I`m not going to argue with you over something so stupid, and thanks for sticking up for me guys, so keep the responses coming, thanks.

violentveedub
02-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I have the Vector also, I bought it for rough spots on trashier details. But, after getting better with it and seeing how much a rotary improves my time I`m thinking of going to a Makita or something not so damned heavy!

mr.ikon
02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Do a search on Vector, there`s some good threads with info about it. Here`s one as an example.

http://autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/69533-vector-polisher.html?highlight=vector

Look in the Trading forum, there was a guy there trying to sell a Porter Cable 7428 (the rotary model) and said he was willing to look at lowball offers.

ha. thats the thread i started way back.