PDA

View Full Version : Polishing 3M Scotchgard Paint Film

mrduke
02-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I had 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film installed on my new CRV. I would like to know if it is okay to use a polish such as Menzerna FPII or Blackfire Scratch Resistant Clear Coat Polish on this to remove any swirl marks that may appear on it over time?

Thanks,

Duke

a.k.a. Patrick
02-28-2007, 12:48 AM
I wouldnt recommend any abrasives on the PPF. The swirls your seeing may be underneath the actual film.

mrduke
02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reply a.k.a. Patrick.

I too wonder about using anything abrasive on the PPF, even though it does have a clearcoat layer. Right now there are no swirl marks under the film, but I`m sure eventually there will be marks on the film just from regular washings and use.

What to use then?

I have e-mailed 3M about this. I am hoping they will actually reply.

Duke

a.k.a. Patrick
02-28-2007, 11:24 AM
When detailing I usually avoid them, other then applying a protectant. Makes it easier next time. 3M will recommend their Carnauba product, guaranteed.

klnyc
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I have 3M clear on my `07 Subie OB too. Dont use abrasive stuff... Get your self Plexus or AIO, this can work as well. I would stay away from FP2(is good for metal, not for plastic).

Super_Herb
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I use AIO.....and now Prime Strong on mine with a finishing pad to give it a touchup when I polish the car (once or maybe twice a year). It clears up the film pretty well for me. I certainly wouldn`t use anything more abrasive than that......and I go easy on it with the PC when I do it. Then it gets treated just like the paint with a coating of wax or AJT.