PDA

View Full Version : Monster Fluffy or CBT???

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Big Bass
02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
From my hours of searching I think I have finally narrowed it down to these last two for QD`ing and final buffing. Please let inform me of your experiences with these two and which is better. Thanks!

Scottwax
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
I`ve only used the Monster Fluffy and it is my go to towel for softer paints.

Mr Big Bass
02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
anyone with experience with both?

Eliot Ness
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
anyone with experience with both?I have both and they each seem to have a place. The MF is very soft and fluffy (as the name implies) so it is great for QD`s, final buffing, etc.. The CBTs are a natural fiber and the newer ones have a bit more bite (or grip) than the older version of CBTs I got a couple of years ago to better remove waxes and polish.

I tend to only use the Monsters for final buffing and QDs on my street rod........ all the daily drivers get a more standard plush MF like most of the vendors sell. I haven`t washed my new CBTs yet so I can`t really make a fair comparison between the two, but the older style is also very soft.

Accumulator
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Mr Big Bass- I have them both. The Monster Fluffy really is something else, it`s easy to have complete confidence that it won`t mar anything. If you`ve never felt one you can`t imagine.

While I like the way the Monster Fluffy *feels* softer, both pass the CD test so I try to tell myself that any perceived differences are immaterial in the functional sense...but it`s hard to be objective about this stuff ;) and I sure like my older CBTs better than my not-as-soft ones. I just don`t like something feeling like it`s "not as soft as it oughta be" even if that`s a misconception.

Unless I wash them right the CBTs can end up a bit too stiff for my liking. I blame my water, washer, whatever, but it does sometimes happen, whatever the cause. I`ve been able to get them soft again, but this simply doesn`t happen with the Fluffies.

If I`m not mistaken, CBT`s natural fibers actually *absorb* QD whereas the synthetic Fluffy adsorbs it...usually not a significant difference but I kinda prefer the absorption/CBT with QDs that don`t flash off all that quickly. When I rely on adsorption I can get some weird streaking-type effects if I pull the vehicle out into the cold then back into the warm shop- the patterns of the condensation tell me that the QD didn`t end up as uniform as it should have. This is less pronounced with the CBT.

For buffing, sometimes (less often that I might`ve expected) the added bite of the CBT *is* helpful; every now and then the fluffy is almost *too* gentle. But again, this doesn`t happen all that often.

Mr Big Bass
02-28-2007, 12:54 PM
LOL...Thank Accumulator! Always helpful...Sooo... I should just buy both and see which one is better... I was going to try to save myself a buck or two...

Accumulator
02-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Sooo... I should just buy both and see which one is better... I was going to try to save myself a buck or two...

Hah! You can`t expect many of my replies to save anybody any money ;) I bet you`ll find one better for some things and the other better for other things...and you`ll end up buying more of each if you really care all that much. With any luck *won`t* care all that much, you`ll just satisfy your curiosity and not feel the need to have a scad of both.

theamcguy
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
What are the CBTs and who sells them? TIA

Accumulator
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
What are the CBTs and who sells them? TIA

Concours Buffing Towels, I got mine from the Autopia store. AFAIK they`re the same as the natural MF products that DFTowel sells. Sorry, no links to either handy, but they`re easy enough to track down...check the "vendors" icon on the Autopia home page.

BigAl3
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Concours Buffing Towels, I got mine from the Autopia store.

same here. if you notice in the pic in the autopia store now, it`s not the same one pictured... Concours Buffing Towel (http://autopia-carcare.com/mf-cbt.html) :nixweiss

Accumulator
03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
same here. if you notice in the pic in the autopia store now, it`s not the same one pictured...

Ah, that *is* very different from both of the earlier versions that I have. IIRC that makes it V4.0

BigAl3
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Ah, that *is* very different from both of the earlier versions that I have. IIRC that makes it V4.0

i think that picture is a substitute, and it looks like the megs super plush terry towel...

Accumulator
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
i think that picture is a substitute, and it looks like the megs super plush terry towel...

Huh...the plot thickens :D

Eliot Ness
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I just saw where DP has introduced the Monster Fluffy MAX..... it is 25" x 50"!

Detailers Paradise: Premium Car Care Products, Auto Detailing (http://www.detailersparadise.com/View.asp?Id=E170-P069015135196-E457-N20070301164807)

SilverLexus
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Looks like a great towel! Can use for a bath towel I bet...