PDA

View Full Version : How to get wheels clean.

B@tm@n
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
The biggest cleaning test for me are the wheels. How can I get them perfect. Here in Iceland is everything in salt and tar. That makes the wheels a living hell. Help me out.

duffman
02-26-2007, 03:12 PM
everyone sounds like the have good luck with megs "hot rims"

imported_JoshVette
02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
No offense, but that`s waaaaaaayyyyyy to general of a wheel question.

First of you have painted, painted/clearcoated, polished, polished/clearcoated, chrome rims out there and different cleaners will be more or less effective on them depending on what the cleaner`s designed to do and for what type of surface it`s made to clean.

But also to make things easier on the next cleaning, you can always wax the rims after cleaned and it should make them easier to clean.

imported_themightytimmah
02-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/themightytimmah/WB1.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

mikebai1990
02-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Wheel cleaner, brushes, soap, degreaser. Anything of the such will help.

imported_JoshVette
02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Wheel cleaner, brushes, soap, degreaser. Anything of the such will help.

I agree.

After that you can use a paint cleaner for painted rims, or Mother`s or Adam`s aluminum polish is good for polished non clearcoated rims, for chrome I personally love Dirtex tile/metal/chrome cleaner (at Lowes only)

jdlierle
02-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Careful with the Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener, it is acid based, and it can damage certain types of wheels, like polished wheels, anodized wheels and other type of wheels. It is intended mostly for factory clear coated wheels and chrome wheels. I have heard of a few horror stories of detailers having to replace wheels to customers cars (even though they thought they were factory clear) at a great expense and have since gone away using this product on most wheels.

I have this product also, and it works great, but I am weary of using this product any more. On most wheels, I would use a more gentle product and just use elbow grease IE the proper brushes and/or steam cleaner to get the wheels cleans. Better safe than be sorry.

I have used the Duragloss ALL Wheel cleaner and it seemed just as effective as the Meguiars WHeel Brightner. I do not believe it is a acid based cleaner, but do not quote me on this. If you like Meguiar Products, their APC (All Purpose Cleaner) would also be a good cleaner for both wheels and tires, and is economical when diluted correctly. However, just plain car wash soap (sometimes is good enough) for routine cleaning with the proper brushes.

In the worst case scenario, be very careful with acid based wheel cleaners and make damn sure you know what type of wheels you are cleaning with them.

PS. Many people also use their clay bar to clean their wheels after their wheels cleaners, and after that they might use a polish and a wax to maintain their wheels. Their are dedicated wheel waxes or protectants on the markets, check out autopia store or any other of the top notch detailing stores and they can help you.

Setec Astronomy
02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Iceland? You might be our first member from there...unless of course you`re joking.

Zet
02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Besides the risk of damaging the wheels, Wheel Brightener also poses a serious health risk. Read this thread for more info: Be careful with wheel cleaners (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/82849-careful-wheel-cleaners.html)

gbackus
02-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Besides the risk of damaging the wheels, Wheel Brightener also poses a serious health risk. Read this thread for more info: Be careful with wheel cleaners (http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/82849-careful-wheel-cleaners.html)

As do most other chemicals used in detailing, look up "Butyl Cellosolve", "Sodium Metasilicate", "Glycol Ether", "Sodium Triphosphate", "crystalline silica", etc., the list goes on. The key is to understanding how to properly read the MSDS, and to take the proper precuations when using said chemical. If a chemical company won`t provide an MSDS, don`t buy from them(not to mention it`s illegal for them to refuse an MSDS).

deathlok
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I recommend this. Is not acid based, very cheap (here in Greece) and very effective.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/filippoud/DSC02724.jpg

My second choice is autoglym wheel clean (also not acid based) but a little pricy.

And I do not know if you can find sonax wheel cleaner but I suggest to avoid it as it is very mild (even the extreme solution)

B@tm@n
02-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I used to use sonax but it suckes ***.

imported_CkretAjint
02-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I just clay, PB SSR 1 (or 2), polish my rims once a year. I wash the car, and wheels, about once a week, and wax every 2 weeks to once a month. The waxing of them really helps!!

Wes Man
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
i always say that im gonna be the first to die from bleche white poisoning! just a little side note*