PDA

View Full Version : Polishes and Waxes with the 7424

Pages : [1] 2

Kriminal
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Finally the sun`s starting to come out again in the UK, so it`s gonna be serious detailing time..

As per my Avatar, I`ve got an Audi TT which unfortunately has some serious cobwebbing and scratches :down

Anyway, I bought the magical PC 7424 about a month ago but haven`t had much time to play with it due to the damn weather.

I was looking for advice and recommendations on what polish & wax to use. I currently have Meguiar`s Scratch-X, Meguiar`s Color-X, and Zymol for polishes, and Meguiar`s NXT wax.

Do you think any of the above would be any good for removing the cobwebbing and scratches with the PC, or are there others you`d recommend ? I keep reading the words Optimum and Menzerna everywhere, but which specific brand would you buy if these were the ones ?

All advice appreciated :xyxthumbs

imported_Yal
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Get Optimum.

DM101
02-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Go to pakshak.com and get some Menzerna polishes. Pick out the right pads for your PC. Get some Clearcoat Red Moose Glaze, and Pinnacle Souveran Wax and you`ll have a great looking car. If durability is a issue get Klasse AIO in place of RMG and PS.

Accumulator
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
OCP via PC is pretty mild for an Audi, even when used with 4" pads (which I strongly recommend over larger ones when doing correction on these cars). The last time I did any correction on an Audi via PC I use a 4" orange pad with some H-T EC (their Heavy Cut didn`t cut it, sorry for the pun :o ) and then used OCP/4" white to remove the micromarring. Followed up with a quick pass of 1Z Pro MP and that left things ready-to-wax. Note that this was a smallish spot-repair and it took quite a while, doing the whole car would be quite an undertaking so I`d do it in sections, one after each wash.

If you`re gonna use a wax as opposed to a sealant, I`d use 1z brand polishes, which have also worked well on Audis for me.

Not sure which of the above are available across the pond though...

Kriminal
02-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the replies Guys......looks like I`ll head for the Optimum Compound Polish then (fortunately we can get this over here). I have read about it before, but the word Compound sends a bit off a shiver down my spine, as I`m a bit concerned about making things worse. But hey, if you say it`s okay then it must be :up

Accumulator : unfortunately you`re right about what we can and can`t get over here - I tend to do most off my detailing product shopping when I`m on holiday over there :D I think Customs realise I have an OCD as well :grinno:

I have no idea what the 1z polishes are either - I guess this is something you guys can get your hands on, but we can`t :nixweiss

imported_Yal
02-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Actually 1z is probably something you can get easier than we can. Its a German wax and its really good on German hard clear. The company that makes it is called Einszett.

http://www.einszett.co.uk

Einszett Paint Polish (http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=9935)

The Glanz wax looks almost like turpentine but it works really well. I got a sample of it and the metal polish from the distributer here in the USA. See if you can get a sample from the UK office.

maxi
02-27-2007, 08:46 AM
best compund, polish ,glaze for many years Automotive Polish Finishing - Farecla (http://www.farecla.com/automotive.asp?id=66&stage=Automotive&set=1)

finaly iuse zymol concourse or distny ...best clartiy

chutney
02-27-2007, 09:12 AM
You can buy the Menzerna (as good as Optimum) polishes cheaper in the UK.

Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Polish (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/polish.html)

The Werkstatt range is excellent.

Kriminal
02-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Actually 1z is probably something you can get easier than we can. Its a German wax and its really good on German hard clear. The company that makes it is called Einszett.

einszett Car Care Products (http://www.einszett.co.uk)

Einszett Paint Polish (http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=9935)

The Glanz wax looks almost like turpentine but it works really well. I got a sample of it and the metal polish from the distributer here in the USA. See if you can get a sample from the UK office.

Wow...thanks for the links. I`ve never heard off that stuff before - looks like they got some special offers on as well which includes both the polish AND wax.....real cheap as well compared to other brands.

I`ll have a better look again later when I get home. :D

RyanDe680
02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I second the use of Menzera. You`ll obtain a great shine and rid of some of the lighter scratches and cobwebbing.

Accumulator
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Kriminal- I`ve heard reports that the solvents in Glanz strip the fillers/waxes/etc. that the polishes leave behind. For this reason I`ve never used Glanz (so no first-hand experience) but rather top my 1z polishes with carnaubas.

Do not underestimate the difficulty of correcting Audi clear with the PC ;)

porta
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
You can buy the Menzerna (as good as Optimum) polishes cheaper in the UK.

Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Polish (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/polish.html)

The Werkstatt range is excellent.

I second this

Kriminal
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Kriminal- I`ve heard reports that the solvents in Glanz strip the fillers/waxes/etc. that the polishes leave behind. For this reason I`ve never used Glanz (so no first-hand experience) but rather top my 1z polishes with carnaubas.

Do not underestimate the difficulty of correcting Audi clear with the PC ;)

<Eeeeeeek!> :nervous2: That sounds like a BIG "steer clear" statement on the Glanz products then.

Hmmm.....I`ve been having a look around on the web at the Menzerna products. Would you recommend the Final Finish polish, or the Intensive polish, or should I be going back to Optimum again ?!? :confused:

I`m starting to lose the plot with all these products out there.....my local car body shop only supplies stuff like Meg`s or Simoniz !! :lol

Accumulator
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
<Eeeeeeek!> :nervous2: That sounds like a BIG "steer clear" statement on the Glanz products then.

Hmmm.....I`ve been having a look around on the web at the Menzerna products. Would you recommend the Final Finish polish, or the Intensive polish, or should I be going back to Optimum again ?!? :confused:

I`m starting to lose the plot with all these products out there.....my local car body shop only supplies stuff like Meg`s or Simoniz !! :lol

I don`t have enough experience with the Menzerna to whole-heartedly recommend it in your case and that goes for the optimum too. Not that there`s anything wrong with them, that`s for sure.

I`m assuming you`re using a PC and not a rotary.

The Menzerna Final Polish was *way* too mild to do correction on my Audis, so I`d at least lean towards their Intensive if you go that route. Note that Menzerna doesn`t fill, so your final results will be dependent on how good you actually get the finish (insert recommendation to go the 1Z route instead ;) ). If you`re considering their final polish for scratch-resistant clear it oughta be better than their FP, but I have yet to try mine so I can`t say from first-hand experience.

Optimum worked OK the last time I used it on the S8, but I had to use a much more aggressive product to do the real correction (and it was *minor* correction IMO at that). I followed it with a milder product, so the Optimum was the middle step of three.

All these product lines are good, and so is Meguiar`s. It`s just a matter of deciding what`s best for what you want to accomplish on your particular car.

porta
02-28-2007, 01:57 PM
PO106FF on a cutting pad can do some serious correction, but try it first on a polishing pad.

The RD3.02 IE Intensive polish is the next step up.

I would buy them from a UK seller.