PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Polishing

Below Reality
05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Decided to upgrade my current exhaust on my show car to a Custom/Magnaflow setup.

The whole exhaust is the standard Aluminized Steel.

The car is not driven in winter, rarely see`s much rain or other bad weather, and is not a daily driver.

It does however, travel quite a bit during the show season.

Being a show car, I want to keep the new exhaust just as clean (and protected)as the rest of the car.

Since this is a high heat area, and one that is exposed to the road, how can I go about keeping the new exhaust looking great?

JaredPointer
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
With all the rave about Poorboy`s Wheel Sealant and the extremes it is standing up to on everyone`s wheels, that might be an option. I have not tried it, so you might want to ask Steve if that would be an "accepted" use and all that jazz.

VroomVroom
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Speaking only to the tips...

I`ve tried the following steps with good success.

1. Car wash shampoo (I wash the tips after doing the wheels and before I do the wheel wells).

2. Four Star ultimate wheel cleaner gel. Let it sit for 30 seconds and then agitate with a wheels brush.

3. Four Star ultimate paint cleanser. Does a good job of removing some of the fine remaining grit.

4. Clay bar. I`ve had mixed results - on one tip it picked up a few pieces, on another it didn`t seem to have an effect.

5. Master Formula metal polish. I interchange this with Adam`s #1 & #2 depending on the quality of the finish.

6. Poorboys wheel sealant (or Wheel Wax).

I can only guess at the pipes themselves - I`ll be honest and say that I pretty much ignore mine. I imagine a simple degreaser and a stiff brush would be fairly successful.

Take care,
Jerry

Below Reality
05-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I`ve got both the Adams 1&2 Metal Polish, but I think that with frequent use, it is going to be cost prohibitive on a complete custom dual 2.5" exhaust.

I`ll give it a whirl anyhow!

I have the UPC, but will also look into the Ultimate Wheel Cleaner Gel and Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I`ll offer a little more clarification, the exhaust is brand new and is not even installed yet, so everything is easy to reach at the moment.

I am wanting to keep every inch of the exhaust front to rear clean and rust free. It`s a demanding chore, but one that`s necessary in my mind.

VroomVroom
05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
The "clean" part sounds hard, but the "rust free" shouldn`t be too bad, at least from what I`ve heard about aluminized pipe. I can tell you that I`ve been running it for quite a while with no issues, and the environment around my office is pretty inviting for rust.

Obviously I can`t speak to Iowa winters, particularly if the road crews use salt to clear/prevent ice. In any case, I can`t imagine polishing exhaust pipes - are you sure that`s something you want to do? I`ve known folks who have used product to keep polished stainless mufflers looking good, but never the pipe. Best of luck, though.

Take care,
Jerry

Below Reality
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
The "clean" part sounds hard, but the "rust free" shouldn`t be too bad, at least from what I`ve heard about aluminized pipe. I can tell you that I`ve been running it for quite a while with no issues, and the environment around my office is pretty inviting for rust.

Obviously I can`t speak to Iowa winters, particularly if the road crews use salt to clear/prevent ice. In any case, I can`t imagine polishing exhaust pipes - are you sure that`s something you want to do? I`ve known folks who have used product to keep polished stainless mufflers looking good, but never the pipe. Best of luck, though.

Take care,
Jerry

Yep. I`m going freakishly extreme! :)

It`s a show car, what can I say?

No winters for this car. Nearly no rain either.

Always looking for that edge. :shift

Thanks!