PDA

View Full Version : Are the 6" Edge 2k pads any good?

Pages : [1] 2

Rover06
02-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Hello,

Very close to purchasing PC, pads and product. Was sold on the 6" Edge Pads because of them being double sided, easy off/on, no backing plate and all the great reviews (people replacing their LC pads with Edge pads)

But I found a thread where 5 people claim they don`t spin at all once pressure is put on them. Is this true? I don`t think they will be very affective if they don`t spin or can`t put pressure on them.

here`s some of their comments.

Edge pads, unless on speed 6, do not spin much and pretty much don`t spin at all with pressure.

It wasn`t until my Edge connector broke,

that I used the 5" backing plate and 6.5" pads and

discovered that they spin with a ton of pressure on them whereas

with the Edge pads I was wore out from trying to keep pressure OFF of them so they would spin.

Whitethunder46
02-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello,

Very close to purchasing PC, pads and product. Was sold on the 6" Edge Pads because of them being double sided, easy off/on, no backing plate and all the great reviews (people replacing their LC pads with Edge pads)

But I found a thread where 5 people claim they don`t spin at all once pressure is put on them. Is this true? I don`t think they will be very affective if they don`t spin or can`t put pressure on them.

here`s some of their comments.

Edge pads, unless on speed 6, do not spin much and pretty much don`t spin at all with pressure.

It wasn`t until my Edge connector broke,

that I used the 5" backing plate and 6.5" pads and

discovered that they spin with a ton of pressure on them whereas

with the Edge pads I was wore out from trying to keep pressure OFF of them so they would spin.

I do find that unless it`s not on speed 6, they don`t spend as easily.

However, the foam that Edge uses, doesn`t need very much pressure at all. I`ve never used any other pads to compare, but Edge Inc. recommends polishing on speed 5. They say not to polish on speed 6, and that very little pressure is required. It seems weird and strange at first, but it works very very well. I actually just finished up my Stang using Edge yellow pad and OC on speed 5 and sometimes speed 5.5. It worked very well.

Mikeyc
02-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Whether your using Edge pads or LC pads when you apply pressure to the PC the pad stops spinning. This is because the machine`s motor does not spin it the pad it only jiggles it. It`s really the jiggling that does the work. The brand of pad you are using has absolutely nothing to do with whether the pad spins or not when you apply pressure.

I also would like to point out it`s very difficult to tell when the pad is spinning. When the pad is on the machine it`s moving way to fast for your eyes to see exactly what is happening. The only way I`ve ever really been able to tell whether the pad is spinning or not is to use a marker and draw a line on the back of the pad. My eyes are able to follow this mark. The Edge pads are totally blank on the back unlike most backing plates or LC pads which have some markings your eye can focus on. This likely contributes to people thinking that Edge pads don`t spin as much. However, it`s totally untrue that Edge pads cause the PC to operate any differently than any brand of velcro backed pads.

The only differences in operation between Edge pads and velcro ones are the quick change ability and the automatic centering (makes the machine vibrate MUCH less).

Rover06
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
I`m slight confused.

You first say. Whether your using Edge pads or LC pads when you apply pressure to the PC the pad stops spinning.

Ok. now the pad is no longer spinning, but you further say.

I also would like to point out it`s very difficult to tell when the pad is spinning.

When the pad is on the machine it`s moving way to fast for your eyes to see exactly what is happening.

Ok. so here you are saying it is spinning.

I looked at the specs. No Load (var speed 2500-6000 RPM) , with Load (var speed 2500-6000 OPM). My undestanding of the specs is with no load it rotates just like a rotary, but when a load (pressure) is placed on it is spins along with another movement. That`s why its called Dual Action.

I guess the bottom line for me is. Has someone used both sets of pads. Is one more effective at polishing then the other?

rollman
02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
A PC moves in two different directions ( Random-Orbit Polisher) you can bog the machine down by applying to much pressure to the pad suface. Try it out for yourself . You won`t have any problems using Edge pads with the PC , well at least with Edge pads you can be sure the pads are on center unlike velcro pads.

:buffing:

Mikeyc
02-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I`m slight confused.

You first say. Whether your using Edge pads or LC pads when you apply pressure to the PC the pad stops spinning.

Ok. now the pad is no longer spinning, but you further say.

I also would like to point out it`s very difficult to tell when the pad is spinning.

When the pad is on the machine it`s moving way to fast for your eyes to see exactly what is happening.

Ok. so here you are saying it is spinning.

It`s not really pretty simple. You don`t push down on the machine or put the pad against a surface (a/k/a no load) and it will spin. Push down on the machine (a/k/a load) and it won`t spin it will jiggle. So, if you load the machine and it doesn`t spin then do you think the motor is putting significant power into the spin motion if any at all? I wouldn`t say so. The best way to observe the lack of spin is to put a mark on the back of your pad so that your eye has something to focus on.

Also, I have used both types of pads. They both get the job done. The difference with the Edge system is all about convenience. There are the 2-sided pads, quick change ability, and reduced vibration due to automatic pad centering.

wannafbody
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
most manufacturers don`t recomend using speed 6 because it is hard on pads

Rover06
02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I just pulled this out of the detail manual.

Rotary buffers have a straight drive to the polishing head, whereas dual-action polishers have special drive head that causes the polish disk to run in an orbital pattern while also rotating.

Push down on the machine (a/k/a load) and it won`t spin it will jiggle.

I hope the jiggle is still rotating the pad!

This could be a mute point. I just picked up a PC and I`m going with the edge pads.

antiprnt
02-26-2007, 03:18 AM
sorry for going off topic but...has anyone used the blue edge pad for defect removal? The description says it removes minor defects..but I gave it a try with poli-seal and didnt remove the minor marring that i had. Should i move up in pad aggressiveness?

holland_patrick
02-26-2007, 08:19 AM
It might be too much for the product .. i`m not sure how bad your car is or how much poly seal can take out.. you need to give more info and maybe some pictures.

Rover06
02-27-2007, 01:31 AM
MikeyC,

Alright maybe I being a smart ***, but I can`t resist.

The following is your quotes.

This is because the machine`s motor does not spin it the pad it only jiggles it. It`s really the jiggling that does the work

Your signature as the following reference.

Check out my detailing guide . . . The Detailing Hand Book

Here`s my ?. Do you read your own Detailing Hand Book. The quote below is staight out of the book.

Some people have defined the PC 7424`s tool action as "jiggling", but this is not the case.The head freely rotates on the bearing and orbits around the centerline driveshaft.

Mikeyc
02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
MikeyC,

Alright maybe I being a smart ***, but I can`t resist.

The following is your quotes.

This is because the machine`s motor does not spin it the pad it only jiggles it. It`s really the jiggling that does the work

Your signature as the following reference.

Check out my detailing guide . . . The Detailing Hand Book

Here`s my ?. Do you read your own Detailing Hand Book. The quote below is staight out of the book.

Some people have defined the PC 7424`s tool action as "jiggling", but this is not the case.The head freely rotates on the bearing and orbits around the centerline driveshaft.

I don`t see where I`ve contradicted myself. All along I`ve said that the pad will jiggle and rotate while not under load. Under load it will only jiggle. When I polish I do not load the machine enough to prevent the rotation of the pad. I only polish with slightly more downward pressure than the weight of the machine.

I`ve also consistently said that the motor does not significantly motivate the pad to rotate as evidenced by the fact that downward pressure will stop the rotation but not the jiggling.

I`ve also always said that the jiggling motion is what does the work. There`s plenty of evidence of this as there are many, many people on this very board who lean into their machine (which stops rotation) when they are polishing. Yet they still get great results.

If you want to try to be a wise guy by twisting my words when I haven`t expounded on my meaning or tried to simplify things to make them easier to understand then go ahead. I don`t really know what your issue is. You have about 9 posts on this board and half of them are criticisms of me. I also find it interesting that you haven`t even used the machine yet and you`re criticising me. I`ve used the machine countless times and I`m just trying to help you out.

imported_Nimble
02-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Go with Lake Country ccs pads, they`re better.

Mikeyc
02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Go with Lake Country ccs pads, they`re better.

Better in what way?

holland_patrick
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes do tell I have used both and I`ve found that the Edge bule and white foam is hands down better.. the fact that I can have three machines (Rotary,Cyclo,PC) and switch pads between all of then is a big plus.. also my machines pack easier with out the backing plate bulk.

How long does it take for you to switch from your 6 inch pad to a 4 inch spot buffing pad?

it takes me 5 seconds.