PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Metallic Red Corvette - Advice

ems154
02-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I will be detailing a 2007 Metallic Red Corvette that is filled with holograms. What product + polisher combo would best accomplish the task of REMOVING these defects? I have a full line of Menzerna, Zaino, Meguiars and Optimum products to use. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

imported_themightytimmah
02-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Heh, good luck. I don`t know your level of proficiency with a rotary, but I`d start with a rotary, IP and an orange pad for a test spot. If it doesn`t remove the holograms, go up to Optimum Hyper. If it still doesn`t remove them, go up to a Meguiar`s Burgundy pad and PowerGloss.

Once you get the old marks out, a white polishing pad with PO106FF via rotary should leave you with a perfect gloss. Z5pro x2 by hand or Optimum Poli-Seal via PC.

ems154
02-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I am proficient with rotary. How long do you think it will take me to complete the job?

gmblack3
02-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Corvette clear can be a PITA, but really hard to say how long unless I could see the paint.

Scottwax
02-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Even with a rotary, you are looking at what could be a pretty long day.

This thread might help you out: http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/85528-cant-get-out-scratches.html

imported_rydawg
02-25-2007, 04:05 AM
On 97-04 vettes the clear is a high solid clear and is a real pain to buff out. On the 05`s and newer it is just a tad harder and a real pain in the butt. Atleast it is metallic red and not black. The proper tools would be a rotory, an edge wool cutting pad, finish pad, a pc and a finish pad for a perfect surface. Also the newer OP (gold seal) or Presta ultra cutting light. On a wool pad do not use an aggresive compound. Use a good top grade polish that has a lot of lubrication and let the wool pad do the work in removing and not a product with grit. You want to be safe and you should see a huge increase in gloss and the scratches will be close to gone or completely gone. Go over the area again with a finishing foam pad and just make sure the surface is wool pad/marr free. Then grab a pc and a lc white pad and 106ff or fpII or zpc and finish it out to a deep wet gloss. The pc finess work should be easy now that all the grunt work from the rotory is done.

Then Z5 pro x3