PDA

View Full Version : Need the right wheel cleaner for my situation...please help

foxbody
02-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I`m washing cars and doing mainly single step details (corrective detailing booked for later dates) on Saturdays at a nearby countryclub. This will be my second year and went quite well the first. My problem is is that ocasionally I`ll get a new customer roll in with a 7 series bmw and the wheels are totally black. Normally when this happens all they want is a wash and I simply can`t spend two hours on the wheels. I`m not a fan of aggressive wheel cleaners, but perhaps the first time to get the really heavy stuff off? Most of my new customers become regulars, so I can maintain them afterwards with mild cleaners. Would Wheel Brite be a good solution? I`ve read of some pro`s and con`s, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jamie B

sixty7mustang22
02-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Eagle F1 has a really nice wheel and tire cleaner that is VERY tough on brake dust, but is also VERY safe.

Or, this is what I do, After you rub your wash mitt over the wheel an get some suds on it, spray some diluted Simple Green on the wheels and scrub it with a Boars Hair Brush.

OR, you can get the P21s gel and spray it on the wheels while you wash and the brake dust should wipe right off. It is also very safe.

You have plenty of options.;)

BigJimZ28
02-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I would use a Magic Eraser

it works very well on wheels

and will save you some time

give it a try I think you will like it!

imported_themightytimmah
02-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Wheel Brightener is the only way to go on the new beamers IMHO. If I`m im doubt about whether its clearcoated or not, I`ll use S100 Gel.

jtford95
02-23-2007, 10:33 PM
BigJimZ28, Where do you get the magic eraser at? Does it really work that good?Joe.

BigJimZ28
02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
BigJimZ28, Where do you get the magic eraser at? Does it really work that good?Joe.

anywhere!

Walmart, Target, any food strore

Kmart had them on clearance in the automotive section

not to long ago for 75% off, I would start there:spot

if you can`t find them just look in the regular cleaning section

I think they are a great detailing tool

they are great on glass, leather, wheels, shoe scuff, ect.............

Bioman
02-23-2007, 11:01 PM
+1 for Wheel Brightener. The brake dust literally melts off of clear coated wheels. Another way would be to use a high pressure washer.

jtford95
02-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks BigJim, I`ll be on the hunt tomorrow. Joe

imported_Grouse
02-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I start with soaking the rim in onr or car soap.

I then soak the MF.

I then clean the bead of the rim where it touches the tire.

I then clean the lip.

Rinse & resoap mf

I then clean the face of the rim.

Rinse & resoap mf

From the face i clean the sides of the spokes

Rinse & resoap mf

I then clean the foot of the spokes

Rinse & resoap mf

I then clean the back of the spokes by hand.

Rinse & resoap mf

I then wrap the MF around a paint stirring stick. Being sure to fold the end over on its self to ensure no wood will poke through.

Soap down the stick.

I thean clean about 1/4 of the inner wheel.

I flip the stick over and clean the next 1/4

I rinse and soap down the stick again.

I clean the two remaining 1/4`s the same way.

Rinse & resoap mf

I then clean the tire facia with the MF.

Rinse & resoap mf

i then clean the fender well with the mf

I rinse the whole set up. I then set that MF asside and grab a new one for the next wheel.

Why do i do this? Because it works for me. It is the same process, same steps with highest care for the rim. It ensures that even a 3k rim does not get damaged, and that a 50 dollar steel rim neglected for 17 years comes clean. Is it fast? Not really a set of rims can take me 45 min to 2 hours depending on the rim and soiling. My customers appriciate the care and quality i take/give regardless of the car and rim.

foxbody
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I`ll order the wheel brightener, just for the seriuosly dirty wheels that don`t seem to want to come off.