PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Z2 out of ZFX bottles...

Ryan314
02-23-2007, 05:39 PM
I don`t know about you guys, but I can NEVER clean out all of the Z2 Pro out of my ZFX bottles... I can only use the bottles 2-3 times then I have to throw them out because they get caked with Z2 Pro... I`ve tried everything, dish soap, rubbing alchohol, nothing seems to work 100%. I wish it cleaned out as easily as Z5 :(.

Help! :help:

imported_memnuts
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Ryan, seems as though you have tried all methods. One technique I use when my dawn dwell and shaking doesn`t work is stick/stuff a towel in the bottle and twist. This not only cleans any residue but also dry the bottle. Give this a try. :wavey

gben
02-23-2007, 06:57 PM
When finished I put some hot water in the bottle along with a few drops of dawn,let sit awhile,shake vigorously then use an old toothbrush to get the sides of the bottle and the threads of the cap, follow up with a very thin cloth twisted inside and you`re good to go for the next time!

Sergei
02-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I let the bottle soak for a good 24 hours in a bucket with Dawn soap.

But I stopped using the Zaino bottles. They are wasteful, hard to use and hard to get those thin coats you need when using Zaino or other sealants. I can get about 3 coats from about 15cc`s in a 30cc syringe. I use a 30 cc medical syringe that looks like this:

http://www.futuregraphicsllc.com/img/products/IJSYR30_150.jpg.

I pour the Z2p or Z5p into the top of the syringe. I make sure the end is plugged with a small nail. I mix with ZFX if I need it. Squirt a couple shots of Z8. I then mix it all up and reinsert the plunger. The syringe method is much better for applying those thin layers of product onto a terry cloth applicator pad. Right from the syringe I squirt a very thin line the shape of a "M". With practice you can get about 5cc`s per coat.

You waste very little product that way vs. the Zaino plastic bottle method. You might waste 1 little drop with the syringe.

Cleaning is a lot easier. I let the syringe and plunger soak in a bucket with Dawn. I draw in the sudsy solution back and forth with the syringe and plunger. It`s completely clean after about a 4 hour soak. Plus you can get these 30cc syringes from many sources.

**1 oz. is approximately 29 cc`s.

Ryan314
02-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I let the bottle soak for a good 24 hours in a bucket with Dawn soap.

But I stopped using the Zaino bottles. They are wasteful, hard to use and hard to get those thin coats you need when using Zaino or other sealants. I can get about 3 coats from about 15cc`s in a 30cc syringe. I use a 30 cc medical syringe that looks like this:

http://www.futuregraphicsllc.com/img/products/IJSYR30_150.jpg.

I pour the Z2p or Z5p into the top of the syringe. I make sure the end is plugged with a small nail. I mix with ZFX if I need it. Squirt a couple shots of Z8. I then mix it all up and reinsert the plunger. The syringe method is much better for applying those thin layers of product onto a terry cloth applicator pad. Right from the syringe I squirt a very thin line the shape of a "M". With practice you can get about 5cc`s per coat.

You waste very little product that way vs. the Zaino plastic bottle method. You might waste 1 little drop with the syringe.

Cleaning is a lot easier. I let the syringe and plunger soak in a bucket with Dawn. I draw in the sudsy solution back and forth with the syringe and plunger. It`s completely clean after about a 4 hour soak. Plus you can get these 30cc syringes from many sources.

**1 oz. is approximately 29 cc`s.

Wow that`s a fantastic idea! I may try that! Just need to find somewhere local I can get those things...:idea

imported_memnuts
02-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow that`s a fantastic idea! I may try that! Just need to find somewhere local I can get those things...:idea

Yes. This method has been used for years.

Here a thread from 2002 with instructions and sources for syringes.

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/8437-zaino-syringe-tip.html?highlight=SYRINGES

:xyxthumbs

Sergei
02-24-2007, 01:23 AM
I didn`t know the tip has been around that long. I stumbled into it. My wife is a staff pharmacist at a hospital where they compound a lot. I happened to see a few laying around at home that we used to give medicine to our sick pets.

If you happen to know anyone in the medical field the 30 cc and 60 cc syringes (no needle) are very common. Otherwise, you can find them online or on on ebay. Getting syringes with a stopper on the end is a big plus, but I just use a small nail to plug it up until I am ready to mix it. Using 5cc`s per coat has been my goal for thin to win. I make sure, 1 drop of ZFX - if using more than one coat. I tend to use more than one coat, just to make sure I have 100% coverage of the product. I also give a shot of Z8 in the syringe with the ZFX and Z2p or Z5p.

imported_memnuts
02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Even though the syringe method has been around, it was a good point to revisit.:goodjob

I normally get my syringes from my hospital but I never thought about using a nail as a cap.

I believe using one is a great idea. It is very easy to loss the syringe cap during the battle of detailing. :xyxthumbs

wannafbody
02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
you can get syringes at a grocery store or pet store

Pats300zx
02-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I picked up one at Walmart for like $1.00. They have them for injecting marinades etc. I am looking forward to trying this method in the spring when I apply Zaino.

stilez
02-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Sal recommends using IPA directly after use.

I usually grab the 70% and fill half way, shake vigorously, then empty...Repeat this three times, leave the cap off to dry, and reuse next time. It has worked well for me in the past.

JJUACC
02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I don`t know about you guys, but I can NEVER clean out all of the Z2 Pro out of my ZFX bottles... I can only use the bottles 2-3 times then I have to throw them out because they get caked with Z2 Pro... I`ve tried everything, dish soap, rubbing alchohol, nothing seems to work 100%. I wish it cleaned out as easily as Z5 :(.

Help! :help:

Try Electric dish washing liguid like Electrasol. Just a few drops mixed with water. Place cap on mixing bottle and shake well.

sbkang
02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Castrol Super Clean and other similar "purple cleaners" work well to clean up wet Zaino. Undiluted, though, it can eat into your skin after a few minutes` contact; use with care.

Sergei
02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I wouldn`t recommend using IPA to clean syringes for those that use them. The plunger is rubber and alcohol is bad for rubber. The Castrol Super Clean or SG would be better.