PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Help

Mugen_Tech
02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Well today, I had to get my windshield replaced on my RSX for a rattle issue.

When I got the car back, I was shocked to find many little scratches around the edges and on the trim and little etch marks in the glass!

How would I go about getting these imperfections out? Is there some sort of polish someone could recommend to me or something? I`d prefer it to be something I could just pick up at a local auto care store.

~Thanks

BMW335i
02-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Well today, I had to get my windshield replaced on my RSX for a rattle issue.

When I got the car back, I was shocked to find many little scratches around the edges and on the trim and little etch marks in the glass!

How would I go about getting these imperfections out? Is there some sort of polish someone could recommend to me or something? I`d prefer it to be something I could just pick up at a local auto care store.

~Thanks

If the scratch is significant no amount of polishing would remove it. Especially nothing OTC.

Mugen_Tech
02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
They are "minor" scratches as least as far as I can tell. It`s not really noticable unless you`re looking for it.

Eliot Ness
02-23-2007, 07:57 AM
They are "minor" scratches as least as far as I can tell. It`s not really noticable unless you`re looking for it.If it is a new windshield I would take it back because scratches are pretty hard to polish out on glass. I`ve never seen anything OTC that you could use, but Eastwood (and a few others) sell a kit you could try:

Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT)

joshtpa
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
I agree about taking it back. You can try an OTC like glass scrub and see what happens.

audicoupej
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT)

I have both Eastwood kits. The polish (very light scratch removal) and the deep scratch removal. They are very difficult to use. The polish works mostly for water spots but not acid rain etching. Even wiper haze is hard to get out. The deep scratch removal will distort your glass if you don`t know what you are using. You just have to be very careful and take your time.