PDA

View Full Version : Questions about rinse-less washing a dirty vehicle

Autoeng
02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Anxiously awaiting Justin`s You Tube post as I have never seen a rinse-less car wash done. Perhaps this has been posted before so maybe there is a thread that I can be directed to about the questions I have about rinse-less washing.

I use a traditional 2 bucket / hose wash and it takes me forever. I`m not a pro and don`t do it for a living and enjoy the process of hands on the paint but I need to speed things up. I can spend 4 hours on a wash, interior clean, engine wipedown and QD my SUV. A lot of that time is just because I`m anal but I spend too much time washing the car. Keeping it wet so that it won`t water spot takes up the majority of this time and it is usually pretty dirty by the time I can devote 4 hours to the process (typically once per week). Even if it is relatively clean I can only cut out about an hour. This is one of the reasons I`ve tried to hook up with Scottwax when he is in northern Kentucky. I learn through seeing.

A rinse-less wash sounds like the thing I need to move to but I am concerned with the amount of dirt that I am dealing with. I live in a rural community so there is a lot of time spent on gravel drive ways and farm equipment leaves dirt on the blacktop roads.

From my understanding I need to pressure wash off the majority of dirt before doing a rinse-less wash, correct? Any other hints about rinse-less washing dirty cars?

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
You might want to check this thread from the Hall of Fame: http://autopia.org/forum/hall-fame/32078-qew-tutorial-not-56k-friendly-part-1-a.html

Autoeng
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Great! Reading all of the recently posted "How I Wash" and Mosca`s article I have 3 questions.

1) Does it matter what the water temp is?

2) From both Scottwax and Mosca`s article neither address the dirt in the QEW / ONR bucket. Both are one bucket washes with Scott using one Chenille sponge and Mosca using 2 mitts. When going back to the bucket I assume that you dunk and get the dirt collected out of the mitt / chenille sponge but doesn`t it pick it back up when reloading?

3) Is there a point where you would say "This car is TOO dirty for a QEW / ONR wash. Time for the soap and water."? Would you risk pressure washing off the majority of dirt so that you could QEW / ONR?

I`m really liking the process the more I learn about it and with answers to these I`ll switch over. I hope to cut the time required in half by reducing all of the re-wetting I do to prevent water spots, eliminating the chamois drying step, changing mitts for different areas of the vehicle and clean up. And not using so many gallons of water will be a plus too.

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Many people use a two-bucket method with rinseless washes. Someone just posted where they used half the amount (of concentrate) in the rinse bucket that they used in the wash bucket. If you`re concerned about the grit when using a one bucket method, you can always use a grit guard type of device.

When you talk about not changing mitts for different areas of the vehicle...the rinseless washes seem to make the wash media hold dirt, so you still will want to have plenty of mitts/pads. If it`s cold out, you`ll want warm water--beyond that I don`t think it matters.

As far as "too dirty"...lots of people pressure wash first to remove gross dirt (frequently at a local wash bay). I find the problem is when there is a lot of salt on the car, the wash mixture gets "salty" pretty fast, and then that re-streaks on the car, requiring you to change your drying media often, and there`s all those nooks and crannies (panel lines, etc.) that can still be salty after.

Take everything I`m telling you with a grain of salt, last winter was so warm I never resorted to a rinseless...I am far from the guru on this.

Cassman
02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=I find the problem is when there is a lot of salt on the car, the wash mixture gets "salty" pretty fast, and then that re-streaks on the car, requiring you to change your drying media often, and there`s all those nooks and crannies (panel lines, etc.) that can still be salty after.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the salt problem. I have a black car and when it is VERY salty, I need to go over the car twice. I don`t think that people with lighter cars would have that problem. At least it wouldn`t be noticeable.

Autoeng
02-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Thank you.

gav'spurplez
02-26-2007, 03:44 PM
i have been washing my black wrangler with ONR this winter, ( chicago )

and it has come out very nice.

no apparent swirls,

i usually use lambswool / sheepskin mitts to wash with, but for the ONR i have been using a chenelle mitt from target. it has alot of pelt, so it kind of traps the dirt.

i use the 2 bucket method and have my MFWW drying towel in another bucket of clean water.

i use the ONR mixture for clay lubricant to pre-treat extra soiled areas.

the only thing i would not recommend, is washing a dusty car. since my car cover is sub-par, i have left my camaro un-covered, but clean. washed it with ONR but the car was pretty dusty, and i have now seen some swirls and marring, :hmph:

nothing alittle polish won`t fix, but upsetting either way,

i`d like to use the ONR on the camaro in the summer, but i will rinse the car first