PDA

View Full Version : Gas on paint...

imported_Devilsown
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Well long story short at the gas pumps when the auto-shut off thing decied not to work. :goodjob ..got 93 octane down the side of my just polished and FMJ`d paint.:shocked :wall ... F*^&$%!

I stoped the flow as soon as I noticed and grabed the first thing I could think of... the window washer water (just water with dead bugs in it) poured that down the side of my car, had some quick detail in my car, spayed that on it, and wiped down with micro fiber, went in the convenicae store and got a gallon of distilled water poured that all over the spill site on my car... and quick detailed it again and wiped... tied up the gas smelling microfiber and came to the site.

I plan on going home and washing that panal, proboly the whole car, and re- FMJin that panal

Anyone know if gas can hurt paint and or the FMJ job, or would I be ok to leave it?

Thanks in my time of need and stress...

BobD
02-22-2007, 08:24 AM
The gas will for sure strip wax or sealant as far as I have seen. It won`t hurt the paint unless you do it all of the time and don`t wash your car. OR if you just had a repaint or something.

Smashraj84
02-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I had the same thing happen on my week old car and was pissed, but from what I`ve read on here, gasoline used to be used by some people to clean cars or something along those lines. As long as it isn`t left on there for a long time, you`ll be fine. On top of that, it didn`t spill onto unprotected paint. I`d just wash that panel and protect it.

BlueLibby04
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
This has been happening to me alot lately also. I always pull the handle up one more time after it kicks off the first time just to make sure its full. For some reason, they have not been kicking off when I pull the handle back up. Ive been doing this since I got my license 4 years ago and Ive never had this problem.

I keep some MF`s and QD in my Jeep now. I had to use the old paper towels they have at the station the first time it happened. Im sure I swirled the heck out of it.. I went home, QD`ed it, and then used some cleaner wax on the area. It also took all of the protectant off my mud flap.. It turned it white. :mad:

paul34
02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
don`t worry about it, just wash it and re seal/wax the area.

In the future, when you take the nozzle off intially, slant it straight down at the concrete and shake it, to make sure there isn`t any fuel.

Then, when it clicks off, start taking it out, but angle it so that it points straight down into your tank, shake a little. Then, take it out, but make sure you angle it up pretty quickly. Basically, it should be pointing straight up by the time its out of the fill hole.

This should essentially eliminate any drip problems.

sspeer
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I had this happen when I was refilling while sitting on my bike...

Not a pleasant ride home as soon as it soaked through my underwear and the ethanol reacted to certain sensitve areas..

I dont` remember how the wax or sealant held up..I usually use my bike as a product tester and nothing stays on it for more than a few weeks.

sspeer
02-22-2007, 02:24 PM
In the future, when you take the nozzle off intially, slant it straight down at the concrete and shake it, to make sure there isn`t any fuel.

Then, when it clicks off, start taking it out, but angle it so that it points straight down into your tank, shake a little. Then, take it out, but make sure you angle it up pretty quickly. Basically, it should be pointing straight up by the time its out of the fill hole.

This should essentially eliminate any drip problems.

also works while at the urinal LOL

Accumulator
02-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I had the shutoff fail in a big way when gassing up the MPV (the last time I`ll use the hold-open in this lifetime,or at least the last time I`ll walk away with it on). I took it home and washed it, and the KSG didn`t seem to have suffered from it. I did put on another coat though. Not sure how the FMJ would hold up, not as well as KSG I suspect.

imported_jgv
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Same happened to my Z5 protected surface and it didn`t suffer anything, after washing it was normal...