PDA

View Full Version : Z8 vs. AJT as topper?

Pages : [1] 2

danforz
02-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey guys, Z8 is really expensive! And from what I hear its a acrylic. So, can we just replace it with AJT, which is a lot cheaper? Bonding problems? Thoughts?

PS this of course would be topping layers of ZFXed Z5pro.

firegate
02-22-2007, 04:50 AM
DG Aquawax works very nicely as a Z8 replacement. I prefer the look over Z8, actually.

With that said, keep in mind that you can dilute Z8 1:1 and it looks the same (but goes on easier).

docker
02-22-2007, 06:06 AM
DG Aquawax works very nicely as a Z8 replacement. I prefer the look over Z8, actually.

With that said, keep in mind that you can dilute Z8 1:1 and it looks the same (but goes on easier).

Really? Dilute Z8 that much without effecting it`s durability? With distilled water, right?

imported_memnuts
02-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey guys, Z8 is really expensive! And from what I hear its a acrylic. So, can we just replace it with AJT, which is a lot cheaper? Bonding problems? Thoughts?

PS this of course would be topping layers of ZFXed Z5pro.

Z8 is not an acrylic product, but AJT can be substituted.

An acrylic product that is extremely good is Sonus Acrylic Spritz at a better price.

OTC you always have DG (also not an acrylic) that can be used.

Milestones
02-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Duragloss AW gives the best bang for the buck as an easy spray on topper with looks, gloss, and durability on par with Z8 (which look one ultimately prefers is entirely subjective of course) at a fraction of the price.

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Z8 is not an acrylic product, but AJT can be substituted.

An acrylic product that is extremely good is Sonus Acrylic Spritz at a better price.

OTC you always have DG (also not an acrylic) that can be used.

:think: Sonus Acrylic Spritz is not a product I would compare with Z8 or AW, since it`s a QD rather than a "spray wax". The more appropriate comparison from the Sonus line would be Acrylic Glanz, which, at least in the version I have, is more difficult to apply than Z8 or AW.

TigerMike
02-22-2007, 08:19 AM
AW all the way....easily compares to Z8 or others at a fraction of the cost. Offers a great look, slickness, durability (for a spray!), and it`s pretty inexpensive. How can you beat it? :)

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Duragloss AW gives the best bang for the buck as an easy spray on topper with looks, gloss, and durability on par with Z8 (which look one ultimately prefers is entirely subjective of course) at a fraction of the price.

I only use Z8 over Zaino, and I only use AW over non-Zaino, and with that caveat, I give the edge to Z8, although AW is close, and I agree that best bang-for-buck is with AW.

To the OP, it looks like about $5 difference between Z8 and AJT...I think for that difference I would go for the Z8 (you use very little), although the AJT might give you some more flexibility, as a full-flegded sealant, in use on other vehicles. If you are just looking for something to give your Z an after-wash pop, I would go for the Z8 or AW.

However, I have never used AJT, and perhaps it really is as easy as Z8 or AW, and in fact, might be more durable (although that would be an interesting test on top of Zaino, Z8 vs. AJT).

imported_memnuts
02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I only use Z8 over Zaino, and I only use AW over non-Zaino, and with that caveat, I give the edge to Z8, although AW is close, and I agree that best bang-for-buck is with AW.

To the OP, it looks like about $5 difference between Z8 and AJT...I think for that difference I would go for the Z8 (you use very little), although the AJT might give you some more flexibility, as a full-flegded sealant, in use on other vehicles. If you are just looking for something to give your Z an after-wash pop, I would go for the Z8 or AW.

However, I have never used AJT, and perhaps it really is as easy as Z8 or AW, and in fact, might be more durable (although that would be an interesting test on top of Zaino, Z8 vs. AJT).

Correct but Acrylic Spritz has some properties to extend durability. Not on the same scale as Z8 or AJT.

From Autopia Store

Sonus Acrylic Spritz is a quick detailing spray that maintains your car`s "just-waxed" sparkle and shine between washes. Formulated to work with Klasse, CarLack and other German acrylic sealants, Sonus Acrylic Spritz works great with all wax products, producing a shine other detail sprays can`t touch.

When used with a quality microfiber buffing towel, Sonus Acrylic Spritz safely removes light dust, water spots and finger prints, leaving a slick, high gloss finish.

The exclusive Sonus formula contains SONACRYLIXâ„¢, the same acrylic formula used in German high gloss sealants. Regular use extends the period between waxing and maintains healthy, oxidation-free paint. Sonus Acrylic Spritz is safe for all paint finishes, including clear coats.

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, Spritz is to Glanz as Z6 is to Z8, and I think you meant to quote my other post.

thesacrifice
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I don`t know that AJT is in the same category as AW and Z8, while all three CAN be used as a single "sealant" I think AJT is the only one that is specifically meant for that purpose.

wannafbody
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Z8 can be used as a stand alone and you can add 1 drop of ZFX per ounce of Z8 to maximize durability(in a seperate bottle of course). AW works great over any product and it`s a great bang for the buck product but I don`t think it`s as durable as Z8.

imported_DieselMDX
02-22-2007, 11:05 AM
i would use AW it is a better alternative.

TigerMike
02-22-2007, 11:12 AM
AW works great over any product and it`s a great bang for the buck product but I don`t think it`s as durable as Z8.

Curious of your estimate of Z8 durability on its own? AW is going right at 2.5 to 3 months for me. So Z8 is a 3-4 month product, by itself?

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
AW is going right at 2.5 to 3 months for me.

That`s on top of bare paint? I`ve never used AW that way, but I wouldn`t say I get that long with AW on top of something else (before the beading changes). Similarly, I`ve never used Z8 on top of anything but Zaino, so I have no idea how long it "lasts" since it`s on top of a long-lasting product.