PDA

View Full Version : Best genuine sheepskin mitts?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MattN03
02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
What is everyones favorite or what they consider the best sheepskin wash mitt?

chutney
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
I`ve been very happy with my Eurow sheepskin mitt

LastDetail
02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I HATE my Meguiars sheepskin. However this may be user error. I will take a MF or cheneille wash mitt over my Megs any day.

imported_Grouse
02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
excel detail sperates the mitts by weight. give him a call

Grimm
02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I`ve only used it so far for about a dozen washes, but I`ve been happy with my cheap Walmart sheepskin. Some are softer than others though, so go through them all.

twitch
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I HATE my Meguiars sheepskin. However this may be user error. I will take a MF or cheneille wash mitt over my Megs any day.

Is this a real sheepskin mitt OR synthetic? There is a huge difference and I dislike the synthetic mitts for numerous reasons.

The sheepskins I bought from Pat at Excel were very nice mitts. I bought the medium or heavy (I don`t recall which).

BMW335i
02-21-2007, 02:36 PM
The Wal-Mart sheepskins ARE the Eurow sheepskins. They vary largely by weight/plushness so pick it like fruit :xyxthumbs

BigAl3
02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
been using these for years with no problems and they`re my wash mitt of choice (sm arnold), and it doesn`t have the thumb on it which i also like...

http://www.diycleaning.com/media/85-340(150x214).jpg

gmblack3
02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a few of the heavy mits from Patrick at Excel detail. They are very nice.

Spilchy
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
They`re basically all the same. I have Viking, Turtle Wax, Baja Sol, SM Arnold, Costco, Vroom, Eurow and ones I bought from Autogeek and CMA and they are the same down to the stitching pattern on the cuff.

None of these major companies make them, rather they import them from a vendor (in China) and simply slap on their marketing material.

With that said, each mitt is an individual even from the same company. It all depends on sheepskin batch at the time the mitts were made. Since they are not synthetic and not all sheep are the same, the yields vary at any given time.

BillD, an old Autopian who doesn`t post anymore once said that you have to "pick them like fruit in the market." Look through the batch on the rack and pluck the good ones. I have gone through a dozen Eurows at WalMart or Vroom at Target and leave with only one.

Just my opinion.

Setec Astronomy
02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
BillD, an old Autopian who doesn`t post anymore...

I`m waiting for the "Where Are They Now?" thread to find out what happened to Bill...

Actually Spilchy, he posted a number of times in August last year, and once in November...so he hasn`t really been gone that long...

AL-53
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
They`re basically all the same. I have Viking, Turtle Wax, Baja Sol, SM Arnold, Costco, Vroom, Eurow and ones I bought from Autogeek and CMA and they are the same down to the stitching pattern on the cuff.

None of these major companies make them, rather they import them from a vendor (in China) and simply slap on their marketing material.

With that said, each mitt is an individual even from the same company. It all depends on sheepskin batch at the time the mitts were made. Since they are not synthetic and not all sheep are the same, the yields vary at any given time.

BillD, an old Autopian who doesn`t post anymore once said that you have to "pick them like fruit in the market." Look through the batch on the rack and pluck the good ones. I have gone through a dozen Eurows at WalMart or Vroom at Target and leave with only one.

Just my opinion.

I agree 100% with Seth...I have 5 different Mfgs. mitts and they are the same..right down to the cuff design and colors..they all look like the Euros cuffs ..I cut my cuffs off....

but as said they come in all weights ..I bought some last year at wal mart when they were blowing them out at 1.99 each...I went thru a case with over 30 in them and grabbed 12...the clerk was pretty cool to bring out the case for me....some were nice and thick..some had short nap..some looked like they were going bald...you just pick thru them and get the best ones.....

I like the SM Arnold with out the Thumb...wish I could find them local....

Al

ZaneO
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
I`ve been happy with Eurow mitts for several years now. Like Seth recommended, check all of them and select carefully.

velobard
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Like a couple of folks have already posted, I also prefer ones without the thumb. A lot of the time I buy mine at Walgreens. First place you think of when you`re looking for detailing supplies, huh?

Auto Expressions Lambs Wool Mitt | Detailer`s Choice | Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100768&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod378427)

http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/96412.gif

Each store usually only has a couple in stock at most, but the plushness is fairly consistent and I haven`t had trouble finding one I like.

I`d also like to try a simple wool pad, one I`d hold in my hand that was closed all the way around with no cuff. Has anyone ever seen one like this?

twitch
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I`d also like to try a simple wool pad, one I`d hold in my hand that was closed all the way around with no cuff. Has anyone ever seen one like this?

That would be NICE. I never put my hand in the mitt anyway and always fold the cuff into it so it doesn`t touch the surface.