PDA

View Full Version : Leather seat care.....

satiger
02-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello All,

I am a long time reader of this forum and enjoy the wealth of information posted here. However, I do have a question. I have two vehicles and both have leather seats. Since I live in Texas, I like to protect those leather seats from hot weather. Is there any seat cover or anything of that sort available for protect the seats (especially front seats)?. I do use wind shield cover, but prefer something permanently covers the seat.

Thanks.

BMW335i
02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I personally wouldn`t use a `cover`. Over time it would probably even damage the leather, IMO (alot of rubbing going on). Use a good leather conditioner.

The windshield cover should be fine.

LastDetail
02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
+1 IMHO what is the point of having leather if you are just going to cover it up? When auto manufacturers design the interior they take into account inherent weather conditions and I don`t beleive that temperatures of a hot car in summer will damage a well cared for leather interior.

DirtySouth
02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Exactly...no point in having leather if its going to be covered.

shortspark
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree, no point in having leather if you are going to cover it. I live in Texas as well and the most important thing for us is UV protection. Protectant 303 is the best at this ever made. It is also approved for leather as well as vinyl, dashes and most everything interior. Since most leather in cars today is vinyl coated and not "natural", it is not necessary to "feed" it with leather conditioners such as Lexol or Leatherique. These are great for natural leather as that kind of leather will absorb these products. Leather seats have the coating on them to prevent absorbtion - that is why it is there. UV protection here in Texas is important and 303 can`t be beat for this.

satiger
02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have been using Lexus leather conditioner, Leatherique and today ordered Zaino leather conditioner. Also I will try Aerospace 303 as well.

DETAILKING
02-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I second Zaino leather conditioner. 4-Star ultimate leather conditioner works well too.