PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions..

Authrom
02-20-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a Black Acura Integra that has some slight marring but I dont think it is TOO bad but anyways so far I have Meguiars Scratch X and Meguiars Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner. I am not sure if this is considered Meguiars #1 or what because I didnt see this on the list >_>. This is a paint cleaner if I am correct so, than I would need some kind of polish and this is where I am lost.

Should I just get step 2 out of the 3 step which is supposed to be a polish or is there a lot better stuff out there? Also I dont have a PC so im going to have to try and apply all of this by hand so..I would perfer something that gives decent results with handwork I am also using Meguiars NXT wax, currently I am happy with it but..it just doesnt look as wet some others that are using NXT so maybe its just because I am trying to do it with hand?

I know to apply thin layers but maybe I am just still applying to much..either way some help steering me in the right direction would be apperciated.

Thanks

imported_steveo3002
02-21-2007, 05:41 AM
the scratch x is a mild polish ....stick with that and do small scetions at a time

the dc 1 is a chemical cleaner, dc2 is whats often called a glaze on here

the depth of shine will improve whent the paint is polished up better

Authrom
02-21-2007, 07:39 AM
So..which polish is good to apply by hand? Because I have read that some are a lot better than others and I might have to do it by hand for a while..

chutney
02-21-2007, 07:52 AM
For me the Poorboy`s range would be good to apply by hand.

However, be prepared to have enough elbow grease in stock.:D

joshtpa
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
For apply by hand, definately check out Vanilla Moose by Clearkote. It is made for by hand applications and is phenomenal.

Accumulator
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
So..which polish is good to apply by hand? Because I have read that some are a lot better than others and I might have to do it by hand for a while..

Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, you can do better than the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal system. For working by hand, I always recommend 1Z brand polishes (I`d order from Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing Supplies & Accessories (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ). Their Paint Polish will remove light/medium marring and it`s *VERY* user-friendly by hand. Their Metallic PolishWax is milder, not sure which one you`d need but I`d bet on the Paint Polish. Then I`d top with something like maybe Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (also from Pakshak) as I`d wonder about the NXT`s very mild cleaners messing with what the 1Z polish leaves behind (that might be an unfounded concern, dunno for sure).

I like VM but I`d reach for my 1Z stuff long before I`d reach for the VM (and they`re on the same shelf ;) ). The 1Z Paint Polish can do a lot more serious correction than the VM can.

With the right products you can do good work by hand and it doesn`t have to be a huge PIA. Does take a bit of time though...

the other pc
02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
......so far I have Meguiars Scratch X and Meguiars Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner. I am not sure if this is considered Meguiars #1 or what...To answer your question, Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (part# A3016) is considered step 1 of their consumer line three step set, the other two being Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) and Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax (step 3).

Meguiar’s professional line products have names too but we tend to abbreviate them and just call them by their part numbers, Meguiar’ #1 Medium Cut Cleaner (part# M0116), #80 Speed Glaze (part# M8032) or #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish (part# M8332) for example.

As steveo3002 points out Deep Crystal Polish (step 2) is a glaze, a porduct that enhances appearance but does not remove defects.

Meguiar’s has their own way of naming products. They use the word cleaner to describe products that remove defects. So Meguiar’s cleaners (like ScratchX), cleaner/polishes and cleaner/waxes can remove defects. Most other companies would call a product like ScratchX a polish.

If you use ScratchX you won`t need to use Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (step 1).

Working by hand it’s tough to beat ScratchX for removing defects while still leaving a good finish. If you need more aggressive defect removal you really should get a machine.

Deep Crystal Polish is a good glaze and is very easy to use. Glazes are optional, for appearance only, so you can skip it if you like. On light colored cars they’re not usually worth the trouble. Since your car is black a glaze is worth considering.

99% of making the car look "wet" is in the prep. If you`re not getting the look you want with NXT it`s probably because you need to do more surface prep. Have you clayed? If not you probably should. Then comes the ScratchX (with a whole bunch of elbow grease), then the glaze. The paint should awfully darn good before you put on the wax.

Nothing wrong with sticking with NXT Wax but if you want to play around, the many fine products that are popular around here (Poorboy’s, Chemical Guys, Zaino, Klasse, Pinnacle, etc, etc,...) are readily available.

PC.

joshtpa
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I think the Vanilla Moose from clearkote is the most amazing thing for by hand fillers. And dont feel bad with NXT. For almost a year, I used nothing but NXT topped with Megs #26. I thought it gave the best shine.

Authrom
02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I think im going to try the 1Z stuff and the reason I dont think I am getting the results I want is because I have never polished the car ever since I had it and I doubt it was polished by the last owner. So im thinking some polish could really help get the results I want.

Accumulator
02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I think im going to try the 1Z stuff and the reason I dont think I am getting the results I want is because I have never polished the car ever since I had it and I doubt it was polished by the last owner. So im thinking some polish could really help get the results I want.

I`d *really* like some feedback regarding how the 1Z stuff works for you (though I fully anticipate satisfaction ;) ). From what I can guess from your posts, you sound like the perfect candidate for this approach, so your results would be informative.

You work the 1Z polishes pretty long, not much worry about *over* working them as the abrasives break down and the stuff sorta turns into cleaner-wax. They do have a long work time too.

If you have any really nasty scratches, I`d use their 1Z Ultra (or maybe they now call it "Extra") polish first and then the Paint Polish. The Extra is about as aggressive as stuff gets that you can use by hand or PC. Pretty incredible how well it breaks down because when you start with it, it feels like liquid sandpaper!

Just remember that the 1z stuff *does* do a little concealing/filling as well as the mechanical/abrasive correction, so pick a wax that won`t mess with that. Besides the Collinite 845, I oughta mention the Collinite 476S paste wax, which is what I usually use over 1Z.

Authrom
02-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I`d *really* like some feedback regarding how the 1Z stuff works for you (though I fully anticipate satisfaction ;) ). From what I can guess from your posts, you sound like the perfect candidate for this approach, so your results would be informative.

You work the 1Z polishes pretty long, not much worry about *over* working them as the abrasives break down and the stuff sorta turns into cleaner-wax. They do have a long work time too.

If you have any really nasty scratches, I`d use their 1Z Ultra (or maybe they now call it "Extra") polish first and then the Paint Polish. The Extra is about as aggressive as stuff gets that you can use by hand or PC. Pretty incredible how well it breaks down because when you start with it, it feels like liquid sandpaper!

Just remember that the 1z stuff *does* do a little concealing/filling as well as the mechanical/abrasive correction, so pick a wax that won`t mess with that. Besides the Collinite 845, I oughta mention the Collinite 476S paste wax, which is what I usually use over 1Z.

I was looking at the 1z Extra and it said on the page not suggested for cars with clearcoat, I know my car has a clear so would it still be ok to get it? I know for sure I am going to try and get the regular 1z polish but I hope maybe these polishes can get rid of some of the scratches b/c I tried the scratch X and it covered them up a lot better but it didn`t get rid of them completely.

I wasn`t sure if I should let it sit or not but I just put it on a MF and worked it in pretty much until it was gone and it didnt take care of it. Am I using it right or might I have to tackle those scratches with a machine or do you think the 1z polishes might be able to get them out?

Sorry for all the questions I tried to search on scratch X but there wasn`t many topics and none of the ones that came up talked much about how to apply it..

Accumulator
02-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Authrom- It sounds like you were using the Scratch-X correctly, I`d guess that it`s just too mild. You might check out Meguiar`s online at Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar`s the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901 (http://www.meguiars.com/) as the forums there are all about how to use Meguiar`s products.

While a machine would make things easier, I don`t know if you`d find it worth the money or not. I have to read between the lines on topics like that, and I get the feeling that you don`t want to make this stuff a huge part of your life; you just want to do better than you have been heretofore. I`d try the 1z stuff by hand, you can always get a PC/etc. later if you find you need/want one badly enough to justify the expense. FWIW, the PC isn`t a miracle-worker anyhow, it can still take a lot of work depending on what you`re dealing with.

FWIW#2, I`ve removed scratches on our Audis (very hard clear) that were behind the door handles, where I had to work by hand. The Extra got `em out, but it *did* take a lot of time and effort.

I`ve used the Extra on clearcoats many, many times, it works fine. IMO they just say that as a disclaimer so nobody blames them for some weird bad result. Just follow up with the regular Paint Polish to remove the light micromarring that the Extra usually leaves behind.

Concourswanna b
02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
1Z by hand then Col.476! Yet another combo I`ll probably try somewhere down the road. Man I love this site!

Accumulator
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
1Z by hand then Col.476! Yet another combo I`ll probably try somewhere down the road. Man I love this site!

Just don`t expect miracles from the 1Z by hand part ;)

And these days, instead of 1Z Ultra/Extra, I`d *strongly* encourage people to buy Meg`s UC or M105. Or maybe the new consumer-line compound they`ve been advertising lately.

But the 1Z Paint Polish is still an OK way to go by hand, even if it won`t quite yield the "Autopian" results that some people insist on. Think of it as one and a half steps up from using a cleaner-wax or AIO.