PDA

View Full Version : How to safely wash sand off paint...

BMW335i
02-20-2007, 08:44 PM
My school uses a ridiculous amount of sand to reduce the chance of people falling. Should I just treat the areas with heavy salt/sand with ONR at QD? Should I pressure wash it?

I am curious because sand is very abrasive and I am wondering the best way to go about washing it without dragging sand across the paint...

My car just has little splatters of sand droplets here and there from the wheels kicking it up onto the paint...nothing too heavy..

imported_GregCavi
02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I usually pressure wash it or coin-op pressure wash it. I have not found any ill effects from doing so.

Greg

BlueLibby04
02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Ha! Sand! My school drives dump trucks around and dumps DIRT on the roads! Its insane! The snow turns black. Gets everyone dirty and I dont even look at my Vehicle. :(

imported_paradigm
02-20-2007, 11:41 PM
ditto on the coin-op wash bay...spray off the heavy stuff and then ONR at home.

mikebai1990
02-21-2007, 09:55 AM
The best choice to spray off the sand/salt with pressurized water. It will help a lot.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-21-2007, 10:14 AM
PRE SOAK for several minutes with a high lubricity auto wash......This is where a foam gun or Hudson Sprayer would be handy.

If all else fails, I would gently toss some soapy water on the surface.

ZaneO
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Flush away as much as you can before ever touching the surface. Flood each area with a medium pressure stream, and then pre-soak for several minutes.

Make sure to use two buckets and two mitts when washing.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Zane, I think if he pre soaked first, it would help break the bond allowing for easier removal.

Pre Soak

Flush

Wash

What are your thoughts?

BobD
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
For your situation I would recommend a foam gun for your prewash.

BMW335i
02-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Well, the sand really isn`t that bad, I also don`t have a foam-gun. How do I pre-soak without a foam gun? I thought I could have still used ONR...

a.k.a. Patrick
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I think its important you get that sand off first, no matter how little exists. My thoughts are if you presoak first, you can break the bond easier, allowing for a more thorough removal with pressure. It will also allow the particles to glide over as opposed to rolling off the paint.

If your only means are with a bucket of soapy water and a sheepskin, then so be it, just dont "wash" as you normally would right off the bat. Just toss the soapy water on there as best you can. And let it dwell for a short period, maybe 5 minutes.

I think what your goal here is, is to get as much lube on the surface, to get the sand off safely before your typical wash technique.

BMW335i
02-21-2007, 11:31 AM
I think its important you get that sand off first, no matter how little exists. My thoughts are if you presoak first, you can break the bond easier, allowing for a more thorough removal with pressure. It will also allow the particles to glide over as opposed to rolling off the paint.

If your only means are with a bucket of soapy water and a sheepskin, then so be it, just dont "wash" as you normally would right off the bat. Just toss the soapy water on there as best you can. And let it dwell for a short period, maybe 5 minutes.

I think what your goal here is, is to get as much lube on the surface, to get the sand off safely before your typical wash technique.

Thanks Patrick..I am going to try and invest in a foam gun although they are somewhat expensive.

Anyhow, some great tips! :2thumbs:

Accumulator
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
BMW335i- I have a spray bottle of slightly-stronger-than-normal wash solution that I use for the wheels, I bet that`d work fine for the pre-soak. Just get some cheapie spray bottle, most anything oughta work.

Then tossing a bucket of wash solution on it oughta get a lot of it off, let it dwell for a while, rinse with a hose and see what you have at that point.

When you`re ready to take the mitt to it, I`d fill the mitt with wash solution (hold it, cuff-up, underwater in your wash bucket), hold the cuff shut, and let the solution seep out of the mitt while you gently whisk it across the surface with minimal pressure.

Check that you don`t get sand stuck in the mitt (this is one of those jobs where I`d use a BHB because of the way they rinse clean).

And get that foamgun ;) It really is money well-spent.

ZaneO
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Zane, I think if he pre soaked first, it would help break the bond allowing for easier removal.

Pre Soak

Flush

Wash

What are your thoughts?

In situations like this, I prefer:

-flush away all loose particles

-pre-soak stuck on dirt, salt, etc.

-flush again

-wash with two buckets and two mitts

Not a big difference, but makes me feel better :)