PDA

View Full Version : First Try with Zaino Clear Seal Not Good

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Tachyon
02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Edit: See post #56 (http://autopia.org/forum/867066-post56.html)for the happy ending.

From afar it looks OK, but up close I can see the swipe marks all over the car.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/jcconklin/ZainoCS001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/jcconklin/ZainoCS002.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/jcconklin/ZainoCS006.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/jcconklin/ZainoCS012.jpg

Process:

Zaino Z7 wash

Z6 spritz

Z5 + ZFX coat

Z6 spritz

Zaino Clear Seal

I used a new Zaino applicator pad and applied as per instructions. It went on smoothly but not evenly. I had a hard time trying to apply just a little amount evenly over a section at a time - it wouldn`t spread all that far from the spot I sprayed. I used between 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. total on the car.

Even though my garage is heated, it also took some time to `dry`. I looked at it after an hour, and again another hour later, and I could still see where it went on. After drying overnight it was clear and looked good ... until I looked at it in the sunshine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

imported_DieselMDX
02-20-2007, 03:14 PM
wow waiting for this answer

imported_doctordon
02-20-2007, 03:37 PM
How long in heated garage? ...what temp? ...how high was the the thermometer placed? (there are thermoclines like in a lake..) Aren`t most of these chem effected by temps? I have a bottle waiting to use. Sorry to hear of your expirence.

DM101
02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Me too. My car has PO85RD, RMG, XMT final, #81, #5, #81, Then polycharged Pin Souveran X 2 24 apart. So It was time for a QEW. Afterwards applied polycharged Pin Crystal Mist. Then applied the CS left and it left streaks all over. I waited 12 hours for it all to clear up but it did not. So I QD the car and it looks awesome! I think the Crystal mix (has wax in it) right before the CS had something to do with the streaking. The wax in the CM did not have time to cure. Just my guess.

BigJimZ28
02-20-2007, 03:55 PM
do you let everything under the CS cure first as per the dirctions?

mikebai1990
02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I have to say that the first picture is absolutely ASTOUNDING. The depth and wetness is insane... But for your streaking issues, I`m afraid I don`t have an answer.

imported_rydawg
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
when I applied it thick it did the same. When I applied it very thin it worked great.

lambostealth
02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I JUST got off of the phone with Sal Zaino, I told him your problem, and he said that might happen if you used a little too much, and that a QD will knock all of the excess off.

Try using some Z6 or Z8 over it, I think it will clear it up.

It looks OUTSTANDING in your first two pics.

imported_GregCavi
02-20-2007, 04:07 PM
A couple questions so we can see what went wrong.

What was the current humidity?

Was the applicator brand new, never washed? Did the applicator get any water drips on it?

1 spritz per panel, worked in?

- As per how to get rid of the streaks, just a simple z6 and your good to go. Judging by how much product was used, my guess would be to much product was used, or potentially, the prior layer were not fully cured.

Greg

imported_DieselMDX
02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
interesting, looks like you HAVE to apply CS thin or it will not work properly

I would use Z6 it has cleaning properties in it

Tachyon
02-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I JUST got off of the phone with Sal Zaino, I told him your problem, and he said that might happen if you used a little too much, and that a QD will knock all of the excess off.

Try using some Z6 or Z8 over it, I think it will clear it up.

It looks OUTSTANDING in your first two pics.OK, Thanks! I thought I was putting it on very thin. But I will try some Z8 to smooth it over.

imported_memnuts
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Your BMW looks great aside from those areas of residual CS. I feel your pain. One of the problems that I encountered when beta-testing CS was using too much product. This is quite easy because CS only leaves a prismatic effect upon application that can be difficult to see sometimes. From the pattern on your hood I would say this is residual CS that would eventually dry but a Z6 wipe will remove quite easily.

Because there is a slight learning curve on how much to use Sal posted in the FAQ section the remedy for this type of residual

From Zaino site CS-FAQ

I applied Z-CS on my black Corvette and it took a long time to dry. When I thought Z-CS finally dried, it still looked hazy. Does this mean I applied too much? Or am I just being impatient?

Yes. You probably applied WAY WAY too much Z-CS which can take much longer to dry. Remember to always use Z-CS very sparingly. We can apply Z-CS to your entire Corvette in about 10 sprays.

Please wipe down the EXCESS Z-CS with Z-6 and the shine will come through.

Also to reduce the amount of CS used per application, spritz applicator once to prime and then proceed with direct spritzes to each panel. Do not be afraid to work CS into the finish. It will not remove cured Zaino or carnauba

Hope this helps and don’t hesitate to call or email Sal with any questions or problems. He is very cool about discussing his products.

Post your results after trying again and a Z6 wipedown:heelclick

gmblack3
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
OK, Thanks! I thought I was putting it on very thin. But I will try some Z8 to smooth it over.

Use Z6 to try and clean it up, not Z8.

Applying CS:

1. Use the new zaino cotton app. that comes with your order.

2. spritz the app with CS lightly.

3. Small spritz in the center of the panel you are working.

4 Work CS into the panel using back and forth motions, go over the area approx 3-4 times.

5. Use light pressure and just glide the app over the panel you are working.

imported_memnuts
02-20-2007, 04:21 PM
interesting, looks like you HAVE to apply CS thin or it will not work properly

I would use Z6 it has cleaning properties in it

During testing I applied CS heavily to see if it would eventually dry (disappear). It did but it took several hours and the garage was warm. The thicker the application the longer the period required to dissipate CS. Either case CS worked.:cool:

lambostealth
02-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Use Z6 instead of Z8 first as you could possibly make more of a mess if you don`t know what thin is (not trying to insult you).

I`m not saying Z8 is hard to use, it`s not, and the outcome is unbelievable. I use approximately 2 sprays of Z8 for a hood, 3 sprays if it`s a huge hood.

However if you laid on the CS too thick, use some Z6 first to get the excess off. I GAURANTEE that you will be blown away with the outcome.

Now if you REALLY want to blow your mind, use that Z8 SPARINGLY, over the CS. Then post some pics.......