PDA

View Full Version : Boat detailing

Pages : [1] 2

Shades
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok guys, the same guy who owns that Black chrome edition ford asked me to detail his boat. He has like a 21ft bay boat. He basically wants a good protectant on it. I need recommendations from you guys who have done boats on the best products to use on the fiberglass. I`ll pretty much be doing the hull and all gelcoated interior components. What`s hot and what not. I`ll be using a milwaukee rotary on it as well. Thanks!!

-Jeremy

Junebug
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Good luck getting replies here. I found a bunch of advice and products at properboatcare.com

BobD
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I really like Four Star 4-40 for fiberglass and gel-coat work.

GBSLambo
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I like to use Klasse Twins on my boat. Just and added note. I hate detailing the sides on a boat especially when its on the lift.

xtahoex
02-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I`ve never tried them but I hear the meguiars products work pretty well and are available otc. There is also a section on the meguiars forum I believe for boats. Good Luck.

GlossyTundra
02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
I just use whatever I have on hand in my car category. I am doing a boat tomm. that is a 22ft center console and except for the "hull" sealant, I am just planning on using #105 on the whole boat.

shadybreal
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I just use whatever I have on hand in my car category. I am doing a boat tomm. that is a 22ft center console and except for the "hull" sealant, I am just planning on using #105 on the whole boat.

Please take some pics and let me know how it went. I`ve got about 4 or 5 boats I could do when I find the time. I bought the Megs boat detailing kit, but haven`t had a chance to use it yet. Thanks!

jimmie jam
02-20-2007, 03:37 PM
IW 845 is my choise.:secret great shine and durability, if the glass is in really good shape to begin with.

imported_themightytimmah
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I like Collinite. Usually I polish with Meguiars boat products because I don`t need enough to buy in bulk - #67 one-step on a light cut wool pad topped with 845IW via PC and finishing pad.

googledude
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I use alot of meguiars products. I use a good diluted APC to aide in the washing of the outside then like to use meguiars cleaner/polish combo on the exterior of the boat. I usually then follow up with a product called lightning polyseal, but have also used S100 with great results. I forget the name of the meguiars product off the top of my head, but it is a cleaner/polish in one combo, and I think it works great. Used it on almost all of my marina work last summer. See this thread for a few boat shots from me

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/54033-first-boats-marina-56k-good-luck.html

DETAILKING
02-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Don`t be afraid to go aggressive on a gel coat, they are tough and sometimes the oxidation can be a bear to remove!

On an older boat, I like to use a rotary and a good medium cut polish (unless the fiberglass is really faded). then I go over it with an agressive sealant.....nu finish, Liquid Glass,etc. Solvents and abrasives seem to work well on old, faded, neglected fiberglass.

If the boat is newer and the gel coat is in good shape, I would clean it real good and use Zaino or Collinite.

johnson48
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I have used megs boat/rv polish followed by flagship premium wax and was very impressed with the results. However, I was so impressed with zaino on my car that i am going to use some z products this time. I considered aio, jw strong w/aj topper, and the megs products but went with the z line now that they have zaio. here is what im going to do (btw my boat is 1 year old with imron painted hull sides)

- ONR wash (no running water in storage facility)

- ZPC for any scuffs, scratches, rope marks, oxidation w/yellow or orange ccs pad

- ZAIO for whole boat w/green ccs pads

- Several Z3/zfx layers with z6 wipe downs

- 1-2 Z5/zfx coats

- Z8 final wipedown

- CS final coat

i also bought some 4" spot buffs for the hard to reach areas or small areas that a little zpc.

HenrikP
02-21-2007, 10:42 AM
3M and Meguairs have some good boat detailing products in my opinion.

DETAILKING
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
My dads boat Zainoed! Hull becomes very reflective.

http://fototime.com/EB5E32DC4638FD2/standard.jpg

Junebug
02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I ordered the kit from Properboatcare.com, the one with the wool pads. I bought Yacht Brite`s Buff Magic for my compound and Star brite`s Instant Shine w PTEF for the polish-sealer, got these highly recommended by the Sea Ray dealer I bought my last boat at. They had Megs and 3M stuff on the shelf too, but this was what they use in their shop - good enough for me. Now, if the weather would break I could finally do that dude`s boat.