PDA

View Full Version : Door Posts

imported_Malachi
02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
For some reason, I have problems with door post in the sense of keeping them looking new.

I am currently trying to figure out what to do with the door posts of a 2001 MDX, do I the same product as on the paint or does it need to be treated as some type of plastic.

i have tried both and it never looks right.

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Are you talking about glossy black plastic? If so, all I`ve ever really had to do was polish them up a bit with something like Vanilla Moose (http://store.danase.com/clvamowaxhag.html) and then applied whatever LSP I was using on the rest of the paint.

imported_Malachi
02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Are you talking about glossy black plastic? If so, all I`ve ever really had to do was polish them up a bit with something like Vanilla Moose (http://store.danase.com/clvamowaxhag.html) and then applied whatever LSP I was using on the rest of the paint.

I think so. I have been using the same thing that is used on paint, but it is not looking too good, so I was looking for some guidance.

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I think so. I have been using the same thing that is used on paint, but it is not looking too good, so I was looking for some guidance.Can you explain what doesn`t look good about them..... are they dull, scratched, faded, etc.? Maybe even some pictures would help.

imported_Malachi
02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Can you explain what doesn`t look good about them..... are they dull, scratched, faded, etc.? Maybe even some pictures would help.

I don`t have the MDX to look at right now, but I think you hit the triple crown. I don`t have pics but will try to get some in the near future.

SVR
02-19-2007, 05:09 AM
I tried to get a close up shot of one but not quite big enough to see.

is it smooth trim with a paint look or rough matte to satin look

if it`s the glossy paint like stuff, a polish like SFX 2 with sonus green pad is fine. I wouldn`t go any stronger than that.`

Top with SFX 3 and Klasse AIO and SG or similar and it should be awesome

Matte to satin trim needs my trim dream stuff and fireglaze

that would make it really black and med gloss

Accumulator
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I generally use the Klasse twins on stuff like that, but I often try whatever I`m using on the paint first to see how that`ll work out. Sounds like it`s not working for you, so I`d try the Klasse.

captkirk2
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Second on the Klasse suggestion. Usually AIO takes care of it.

imported_Malachi
03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I finally got around to trying the KAIO and it did a great job making the door post look better.

Then I thought, let me see if Prime Strong cleans any better, so after doing the best that I could cleaning with KAIO, I followed with Prime Strong.

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! :shocked how much more dirt came off the door post, it was like I had not clean at all! So, I went to the other side and made double sure that I had cleaned with KAIO then followed with Prime Strong. Same results!

I would have bet big money that the results I saw on my MF could not have happened, is Prime Strong safe for paint? :nervous: :bow

Accumulator
03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Malachi- That`s a great comparison you ended up doing between the Prime Strong and the AIO! With the plastic material being almost certainly softer than paint, if it finished out nicely then the Strong will be fine on paint.

But I know what you meant, wondering about it; I tried a sample of ZAIO on some exterior plastic and it scoured it up something awful, took a lot of work to fix...made me wonder how aggressive *that* stuff would be on paint.

imported_Malachi
03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Malachi- That`s a great comparison you ended up doing between the Prime Strong and the AIO! With the plastic material being almost certainly softer than paint, if it finished out nicely then the Strong will be fine on paint.

But I know what you meant, wondering about it; I tried a sample of ZAIO on some exterior plastic and it scoured it up something awful, took a lot of work to fix...made me wonder how aggressive *that* stuff would be on paint.

I was kind of joking about whether I could use it with paint, I was just so shocked by the amount it cleaned up after KAIO ;)

Oh yea, it left the door posts looking great, but I have not seen it in the sunlight so I guess the final verdict is not in, but it looked great last night. No scratching no, no nothing just good looking door posts. I hope to take a look at tomorrow in the sunlight. I am very pleased and may not ever use other products on plastic regardless of cost. I am looking to try it on the ski racks and other plastics to see if the satisfaction continues.