PDA

View Full Version : Ugly crack marks/scar, anyone can help?

lifanus
02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
hi all, my 04 honda accord`s front hood starts to develop those ugly scars/crack marks starting last Oct when I purchased it used. before there is only one of them, now there are 4 of them and i`m afraid new one is developing. 2 of them are under the clear coat, and 2 of them are on top of clear coat, their pattern all looks the same.

I keep my car clean of bird poops and wash it whenever it gets dirty(with simple green bio-degradeable cleaner). and wax it with turtle premium wax.

please help me, i`m going :getdown :aww:

picture of crack marks

http://www.liography.com/nr/scar.jpg

:thx

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry, but that is your clear coat failing. About all you can do is keep it waxed or sealed to try and prevent it from spreading or get a repaint.

You shouldn`t wash with Simple Green...... that stuff is pretty harsh and will strip off any wax you have on your car.... pick up some good car wash instead.

I`d also start using a wax or sealer with more durability than TW. A good durable wax would be Collinite 476 or 845:

Collinite waxes from MacTec | car waxes, boat wax, and detailing supplies (http://www.mactecllc.com/collinite.asp)

thesacrifice
02-18-2007, 04:34 PM
In regards to simple green.

In october I polished and waxed multiple cars using a PC. I put the PC in a bucket after washing the pads and spun dry the pads in the bucket, resulting in polish and wax all over the sides of the bucket.

Yesterday, yes 4 months later I filled that bucket with 3 gallons of water and a capful or two of Simple Green. Five minutes later, all the wax and polish was gone from the bucket....STRONG STUFF, don`t use it on your paint!!

There are so many better waxes out there as well!

Setec Astronomy
02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I personally think that is a bird poop etch (I guess from before you owned the car).

lifanus
02-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Sorry, but that is your clear coat failing. About all you can do is keep it waxed or sealed to try and prevent it from spreading or get a repaint.

You shouldn`t wash with Simple Green...... that stuff is pretty harsh and will strip off any wax you have on your car.... pick up some good car wash instead.

Thank you guys for your suggestions, I`m a poor college kid so repaint is probably not an option, is there a way to polish it off and re-coat the glossy coat? :bolt

I`ve never polished a car before, but I did jewelry metal work before and polished whole bunch of different metals, does metal polishing technique applies to clear coat?

:soscared:

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Thank you guys for your suggestions, I`m a poor college kid so repaint is probably not an option, is there a way to polish it off and re-coat the glossy coat?.....You would just about have to sand the damaged area (clear coat) and hope you didn`t remove too much of the base (color) coat. Then doing a clear touch-up yourself might look worse than coating it with a good heavy wax.

A body shop might be willing to touch those spots up and do a blend, but if it is the CC failing, and not just damage from bird etchings, then there is no guarantee they won`t start popping up in other areas of your paint. You did mention there are now four of them and a new one possibly developing.

Sorry, but I just don`t have any quick-fix advice for areas that are crazing/cracking like that. All I can say is use a good wax/sealer on your finish to protect it from UV damage which will accelerate the problem into larger areas. Maybe someone who has dealt more with this problem will chime in with some better advice.

blkSRT
02-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Take the car to a honda dealer.They should fix a 04