PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Blower, a little off topic.

Changeling
02-17-2007, 06:37 PM
OK, a lot off topic! Has anyone ever tried to blow snow off a driveway with a 220 mph leaf blower ? Did it work?

Changeling

PS. My whole place is in cased in 6" of solid ice, it just happens to look like snow!! Hell, I`m cooking up cornmeal and water to make a `Mush", cooling it down into cakes and throwing it out into the back yard so animals and birds can get something to eat. They are starting to starve!!!! Really getting bad!

Changeling
02-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry about the double post, I really don`t know how it happened.

Change

BMW335i
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Doubt the blower idea would work, it wouldn`t budge the more densely packed snow on the bottom.

My drivway is 100% covered in 3 inch thick ice. I took my car out of the garage and it just started sliding off the driveway into the street, literally.

BigJimZ28
02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
the snow would have to be light power for it to work

not going to do anything to your ice

Changeling
02-18-2007, 01:18 PM
I didn`t expect it to do ice by any stretch of the imagination! People around here are using picks, grubbing hoes, and digging bars! Any kind of a shovel is just a joke.

I`m just talking about the light stuff that is still in the fluff stage.

Changeling

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
...... I`m just talking about the light stuff that is still in the fluff stage.......I used a gas powered leaf blower one year to blow off the light stuff, and it worked OK, but it was pretty slow going and I never bothered to use it again. One of the cars was parked out on the street and a couple of the kids were standing on the other side when I blew the snow off..... that was worth a few laughs :grinno: .

The gas blower has since bit the dust and I use an electric for yard duties, so I don`t really feel like messing around with an extension cord in the snow. Speaking of snow, as much as I hate the thought, I`m gonna have to go out and shovel some this afternoon :mad: .

Changeling
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I used a gas powered leaf blower one year to blow off the light stuff, and it worked OK, but it was pretty slow going and I never bothered to use it again. One of the cars was parked out on the street and a couple of the kids were standing on the other side when I blew the snow off..... that was worth a few laughs :grinno: .

The gas blower has since bit the dust and I use an electric for yard duties, so I don`t really feel like messing around with an extension cord in the snow. Speaking of snow, as much as I hate the thought, I`m gonna have to go out and shovel some this afternoon :mad: .

John, thanks for the reply, that tells me what I want to know! As for shoveling, feel lucky, a shovel is totally useless in Maryland right now!!

I went by a house today with a guy using a "Pick" like you would dig earth or rock with. He was using it to dig out his car!! I would hate to think what that is going to cost him this summer to fix, but what the hell he as to be able to drive?

I went to Southern States (feed store for farmers) and bought 100 lbs of chicken feed for the birds.

The animals tonight are getting "Suit, melted in a dainty fat sauce with bacon fat and cornmeal", along with all the scraps I have! It might not be "Julia Child`s" type cuisine but it will hopefully keep them alive!!!!!!!!!!! I call it Changeling Biscuits! It`s really that bad here!!!!!

Try to imaging digging through 6 inches of snow/ice with your hands!!!!!!!!!!!! And then finding nothing!!

Take care, Changeling.

Changeling
02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
John, sorry to go off on a tangent about the animals but it has just got me upset, and needs to be on everyones mind NOW.

Take care, Changeling

Eliot Ness
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
John, sorry to go off on a tangent about the animals but it has just got me upset, and needs to be on everyones mind NOW.

Take care, ChangelingHey no problem here, I find your compassion towards our animal friends quite commendable. We don`t cook them up a gourmet meal like you do, but they get plenty of bread from our pantry.

itb76
02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Works well for fresh light powder on the front porch, back deck, and my car (wife`s stays in the garage). In fact that`s what I did last weekend--fluffy lake effect snow. I think it would cost you time to do a driveway with it though.

medic159
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I`ve used the blower many times on snow. Here`s the trick though... when it starts to snow I spread salt on the walkways. This prevents the snow from sticking. Then when`t the snow is about 1/2 inch I use the blower and it usually does a decent job.

Of course, wet mushy snow won`t budge, you need dry fluufy snow.

You know, between car drying, snow blowing, gutter cleaning, etc. I think I use my leaf blower the least amount on leaves! :)

Changeling
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, I think I better park this idea for awhile. I`m getting a "jackhammer" with a carbide bit, LOL.

"Hey no problem here, I find your compassion towards our animal friends quite commendable. We don`t cook them up a gourmet meal like you do, but they get plenty of bread from our pantry."

Recipe for gourmet meal (Changeling Biscuits): I save all the cooking grease, and scrap meat in a "tin" in the fridge for the recipe.

10 or 15 cups of cornmeal, bread scraps of any kind, stale cake, Etc,.

Saved meat scraps.

Put in a "BIG" pot on the stove and heat up some water till boiling, add cornmeal and bread scraps, stir till it starts getting a little thick, add the meat scraps and fat and mix up and add cornmeal till it is slightly stiff, take off stove spoon out on a cookie sheet or anything in mounds the size of a big biscuit. When it starts getting a little cool (enough to handle just form into biscuits and let cool all the way. I then store them in a big plastic bag like a WM plastic shopping bag. I throw about 4 or so out back as soon as it gets dark.

Sounds like a lot of work but really it only takes about 5 min or so, the rest is cooking.

Don`t use chicken bones they can break into sharp pieces and lodge in an animals throat or whatever.

Changeling

mose
02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
So happy I live in California where the worst thing that can happen is some heavy rain!!

medic159
02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
So happy I live in California where the worst thing that can happen is some heavy rain!!

Typical Californian! :LOLOL Neglecting to mention that the worst thing to happen could be the Earth opening up and swallowing your freshly detailed ride!

Changeling
02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Typical Californian! :LOLOL Neglecting to mention that the worst thing to happen could be the Earth opening up and swallowing your freshly detailed ride!

Ahhh Mose, dude you walked into that big time:chuckle:

Changeling