PDA

View Full Version : Somebody called the town on me!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

whitejavaS500
02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Well this sucks. So I pull in yesterday, and a gold s10 follows me up my driveway. He tells me that there has been a report of a business being run at my place. Apparently, there are "always different cars coming and going" and "a boy out buffing cars during the day". I also put out a flyer in my neighborhood, which was used against me. The thing is, I`m always careful as to never make noise after 7, and keep to myself. Also keep in mind that Imo 15 years old and this isn`t a full time operation, maybe a car or two a week. Well the guy said that i may have to look into getting a business permit. Man I`m mad!

Sorry, just had to vent :).

LeadingEdgeDetail
02-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry, but you need a business permit if you are charging money for services... That would mean you are running a business, no matter how ghetto or professional.

Kenney
02-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hate municipal regulations like this.

imported_DieselMDX
02-17-2007, 03:10 PM
cut him into the deal?

imported_WCD
02-17-2007, 03:23 PM
"Sorry to hear that. I hate municipal regulations like this."

I am sure you can see why these are in place. Otherwise, any person in your neighborhood could just operate a business in their garage or home. This would affect your entire lifestyle..this is why zoning is in place.

Being angry at a law that protects residential areas doesn`t make sense. Being mad at the EPA Clean Water Act may make some sense in the fact that when it rains far worse occurs in the storm drains than some water based shampoo going into the grass, but it is still the law. Businesses that are successful don`t get by the law, they follow it.

Go to other parts of the World where these laws are not enforced and you will know what I am talking about. It`s not pretty.

My advice is to get a city license and get mobile if you can`t afford a shop space, or find a family friend that owns a business and see if there is space available for you to rent per month.

Rob Regan

whitejavaS500
02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Off topic...

Rob at WCD, I have a ton of your towels, and I love them! Use them for everything, nice and plush, marr free, and a great value!

Anyway, I just picture it like if a little girl is offering a pet sitting service, or some kids set up a lemonade stand do they need a permit?

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Being mad at the EPA Clean Water Act may make some sense in the fact that when it rains far worse occurs in the storm drains than some water based shampoo going into the grass, but it is still the law.

I was just thinking about this kind of stuff, the state or county here just recently has imposed all kinds of regulations to prevent leaves from going into the storm drains (can`t rake them to the curb except for a very short window), for fear of upsetting the ecosystem, but nobody seems worried about the literally tons of salt being flushed into the storm drains and into the rivers when it snows.

imported_WCD
02-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the comments...much appreciated!

I`m sure it gets technical at that point, but I bet there are regulations with different types of jobs and because you do your work in a more noticeable fashion, it gets noticed. Perhaps a neighbor runs a car wash, or just doesn`t like the extra traffic- that`s my bet.

Incidently, my city license was $30 for the year. It is very satisfying when a city employee approaches you and you whip it out.

I am sure the local babysitter by law should have a worker`s permit, but we all know our favorite sitter doesn`t have one.

When I started, I put my money into insurance and licensing. I did not have equipment. I went to the homes and used water and elect. until I purchased my own mobile unit. If you have loyal customers, explain to them the situation. Looking back, I was a technician, not a business person. You should read the E-Myth Revisited. It will get you thinking like a businessman. It`s a great book. I have restructured my own company and feel like I am not working on my business, not IN it.

Thanks again for the kind words on the towels and if I can be of service regarding the business aspects, email me through the site anytime.

Rob

imported_rydawg
02-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I am having a problem in my town also. But if go to get a town license they will say no cause of all the epa laws. Also they shut down a car dealership in town cause they said they need a special permit and there has to be a filtering system on there wash bay to be approved. These towns are just getting tough. I can`t wait till the day they show up at my house.

imported_WCD
02-17-2007, 05:05 PM
It`s the Clean Water Act that is being enforced. It`s been around a long time, but Bud and some others have been preaching that it is now being enforced with more scrutiny. Only four years ago I went to get my license and showed the city employee a flyer of my washing MAT and explained that I was in compliance. She said, "What is that thing?" Four years later...now it`s a misdemeanor if they catch you without one, or a Vacuuboom.

Some of the detail trailer guys are not being upfront with customers. We had a couple at the Expo that might lose their house because they spent all their money on the equipment and training, but did not get the water reclaim. I`m waiting for some of these guys to get sued. I know of one reputable maker that explains the issue well and then has you sign a waiver if you opt OUT of buying a reclaim system.

There`s only ONE detailer I know in my hometown that uses a Vacuuboom. Within a year or so, he might be the only one around- good biz for him!

I understand why, but it gets me when I see cement contractors and painters cleaning their equipment in the gutters!!

Rob

Whitethunder46
02-17-2007, 06:49 PM
If you have get a business license/permit, do you then have to pay bus. taxes and stuff?

Kenney
02-17-2007, 07:21 PM
"Sorry to hear that. I hate municipal regulations like this."

I am sure you can see why these are in place. Otherwise, any person in your neighborhood could just operate a business in their garage or home. This would affect your entire lifestyle..this is why zoning is in place.

Being angry at a law that protects residential areas doesn`t make sense. Being mad at the EPA Clean Water Act may make some sense in the fact that when it rains far worse occurs in the storm drains than some water based shampoo going into the grass, but it is still the law. Businesses that are successful don`t get by the law, they follow it.

Go to other parts of the World where these laws are not enforced and you will know what I am talking about. It`s not pretty.

My advice is to get a city license and get mobile if you can`t afford a shop space, or find a family friend that owns a business and see if there is space available for you to rent per month.

Rob Reagan

Rob

First, let me retract my first statement and replace it with

"I dislike municipal regulations like this."

The OP does not detail that many cars a week, 1 to 2. If he is telling the truth, what kind of person would take the time to take note on how many cars goes through the OP`s drive way? 1-2 cars a week, from my point of view, is not enough to break a zoning law. I guess I assumed that houses are not too close together with ample space in-between so the noise is not that apparent when the OP is working during the day. If people complained about the noise, ya, I would stop detailing.

If anything, the OP is providing a nice, convenient service for his fellow neighbors as well as learning the basics of running a business at a young age. If I was his neighbor, I would love to see a young person learning how to make a buck by starting his own business.

I could never envision a place that without zoning laws, renegade 15-year olds would cause havoc and destruction with noise created by buffers, working only during the day, and only 1-2 cars a week. But I guess you have seen areas of the world where this has happened, so I will flip you a fish and take your word for it.

BTW- I love the EPA clean water act.

Thanks!

Kenney

imported_WCD
02-17-2007, 07:43 PM
K,

I agree with the point about...here we have a kid doing something constructive and something that requires a work ethic. I could not agree more. There must be a neighbor with too much time on his/her hands to make such a complaint. I did yard work when I was that age and no one said that I needed a city license, or went to the trouble to report such a crime!

There is definitely something missing when we our system is punitive towards younger people using their time wisely and productively. Maybe there should be a municial code for kids who smoke cigarettes and hang out on corners? (there probably is, but I think you get the point we are making).

I also see the issue where if you had four or five houses all running a variety of "shops" it could get crazy. There are areas where kids are selling drugs from their driveways, but no one complains. I guess the OP should be agreeable to the fact that he probably has decent neighbors to a degree.

As an educator, there are many "rules" that do not make sense within our education system today- too much test taking practice and less teaching for one. The Feds are using laws to interfere with State School Systems, which is a vilolation of law. Anyway, my point is like yours too, we tend to apply general rules to every aspect of our population. I am sure the local munic. laws are meant for adults running oil changing shops and the like from their homes.

For now, the OP might work part time for a detail shop (experience), attend business classes (knowledge) and in time, open his own business, should he agree that it is a good thing to do. After looking at numbers this year, I turned down an 85k building that had a

20k per day traffic count. It was a green banana, but looked ripe at the beginning. A green banana is a good business prospect that will simply take too long to mature.

I know of a few detailers that after being in business for 10+ yrs. will testify that it takes at least 50k to really start a mobile biz and 100 to start a shop. There are so many factors that I was ignorant about when I began. 37 yrs. old, I am much better positioned to make sound judgements about business decisions.

I hope the OP continues with his drive and ambition and if he does, he should be a success.

Rob

Junebug
02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Like John Denver said, Thank God I`m a country boy" I live out in boonies on 23 acres of farm land. It`s not too far to town and people are moving in all around me but still nobody telling me what I can or can`t do on my own land. My friends that have the big houses with the .3 acre lot and neighborhood nazi`s telling them what color they can paint their trim all get the green with envy look when I mention the freedoms I enjoy. But, rules are rules and if you`re in town, well, either get the laws changed so kids can wash a car or mow a lawn and nobody freaks out about it. There`re people that think America is great because of the government, I think they`re full of SH@T! America is great because of the people, the power of the individual.

Scottwax
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
In Texas, all I needed was a DBA (doing business as) permit. I believe it was around $10 for the permit. Not that the state required me to have one but banks do for you to deposit a business check in your account.

I am mobile so I don`t have to worry about the zoning issues and using Optimum No Rinse has me in full compliance with the clean water act.

I can see the point about not wanting cars going in and out of a single home all day if someone is running a business there. My brother has a computer business and when it was just him, it was fine because very few of his customers would come to his house to pick up their equipment since he goes to them. Anyway, now that he has 5 employees, he just can`t have all their cars parked at his house and now he also has people dropping off equipment to his house and picking it up. His new office opens on Monday...it isn`t just detailers who run into this problem.

Ben-I think what you need to do is go to your city courthouse and find out what you need to do to be in compliance. At this point, you really have no choice.