PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into high-end detailing for myself

Invigor
02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Detailing has always been a passion of mine; I worked at a privately owned for a small bit, then took a few years off and now work at a stealership in the detail department. As the stereotype goes, yes we are pushed hard to get work in and out as quick as possible while maintaining OK quality.

I`d say I`m about 80% satisfied with the quality we can accomplish, but I want to raise the bar and get myself to 100% on my own as a "summer" job on the side. Of course at the dealership we get product in large quantities, usually cheap quality products (car brite for the most part)

The problem I`m stuck with now is how much I should charge people to do their cars privately on my own time? Overhead is seriously low, it`s basically electricity and supplies that`s the only overhead...I`d like to put a bit in my pocket, and use the rest to increase my supply base.

At work, I can usually whiz through a car in about 3 hours, that`s shampooing the carpets, seats, mats, blow out the vents, nooks/crannies, clean all the vinyl surfaces, dress vinyl, inside/outside windows, and a quick AIO polish just to shine the outside up a little. Of course I can do a full blown 6 hour cut polish jobber for a cost, but I doubt many will be interested.

I`m not the best businessman as I hate asking people for money. Most of my future customers will be family, friends, and co-workers, so I`m afraid to give them a figure incase it scares them away. Should I just bite the bullet and give them a price, and explain why it is what it is? I don`t want to screw them, and certainly don`t want to screw myself, but I want to offer something that makes us both happy.

I`m very confident in myself that I can achieve 100% satisfaction with my own work due to the fact I`ll be able to give the car the attention it deserves because I`m not working for anyone but ME. I think I`m on the right track and just need to get the prices out there, and eventually people will come around and after 1 or 2 people bite on the service and word of mouth starts to flow because of the darn good job I did

It`ll probably be easier to get all this done once spring rolls around...it`s hard to polish cars when it`s -20 out :|

Thanks in advance for the advice!

imported_JoshVette
02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
If you do great work, word will spread and you`ll get the interest, trust me.

For me, once you`ve done a couple and realize how long it takes per type of vehicle and what type of process is needed, then you can determine what you`d like to charge per hour and take that to base a "step 1" "step 2" "step 3" type of process and what it`s worth to you.

for example......

wash car.......1 hour $35

claybar (alone)...1 1/2-2 hours $50-70

wax...1/2 hour $20

Total time for all together 3 1/2 hours total X`s $$ = ??

So, a "step 1" job being a wash/clay/wax job would cost roughly $125 add $40 for large truck/suv`s.

BTW, you won`t have to ask them for money, they will gladly give it after they see what you`ve done with there car.:bigups

I usually get much more then I charge cause they are just that happy with the end results.......remember, always "underpromise and overdeliver".

don`t know if this helps you or not.

Josh