PDA

View Full Version : DW443 + LC Polishing pad + megs #80/83 = disaster

archerwin
02-14-2007, 05:46 PM
just got through a 3hr polishing session for my car... no... the car looked great after the detailing session... it was my 8" LC pad that had the problem... The foam pad delaminated from the velcro backing plate... was this expected if you continuously (well, not really continuous since i have to take 5 min break bet. panels) use the LC pad with a DW443.. i was not using it at speed#5 all the time... per panel, i think i dwell on the #5 setting for about 5mins per panel...

i complained to the local distributor here and he said to take some photos and he`ll try to send it to the US, but it was a "long-shot".

for delaminated pads... can we glue back the velcro to the foam pad? if yes, what kind of glue can I use... thanks!

BigJimZ28
02-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I haven`t really had a problem with that myself, but TOL sells a Polisher Pad Adhesive (http://www.topoftheline.com/foamfabad.html). I think other members have also had good luck using Gorilla Glue they bought locally.

found this it should help

velobard
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I don`t believe I`ve heard of anyone else using a pad as large as 8" with a RO buffer. Glad to hear you got good results.

archerwin
02-15-2007, 08:54 AM
this is the photo btw

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/archerwin/foam.jpg

wannafbody
02-15-2007, 11:02 AM
I`d stick with smaller pads. You can email Eric Dunn. eric@lakecountrymfg.com

archerwin
02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I`d stick with smaller pads. You can email Eric Dunn. eric@lakecountrymfg.com

thanks! I sent him an email. 6.5" foam is too small for my 6" DW443. No 7 or 7.5 pads are available here either.

archerwin
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok. Eric Dunn from LC replied to my email. We exhanged emails and it seems that the white velcro backing is not suited for ROs. Unfortunately, the guy who sold me the pad did not know that.

as they say... charge to experience...

thanks to Eric for the prompt response to my emails. Great customer service. I just hope the local distributors can be educated as well as they are mostly the 1st point of contact for the customers.

Envious Eric
02-15-2007, 05:55 PM
you need smaller pads....8" are for rotary use...

also, on a side note, dont use those pads with holes in the middle of the velcro with a PC, at least that is why I have attributed to my pads tearing at the velcro backing....I think that the "jiggling" the PC (or the like) does helps it tear away, where the smooth orbits of the rotary dont have that problem...

again that is just my experience...plus some pads use crappy glue

wannafbody
02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
LC uses different glue and velcro for the PC pads (IIRC)

braindead
02-16-2007, 03:12 AM
:think2

mate, I use the dw443 too... some larger pads of 7 1/2 to 8 inches will delaminate as u use the higher speeds on the machine. it may be the power of this machine, I dunno

if u can get ahold of Meguiars 6 1/2 inch pads, try those. I have never had one of these delaminate...

a little hint put some tape about 1/2 an inch wide along the edge of the backing plate so that it doesn`t dig & cut into the foam while u use it.

you`ll also find the machine vibrates less and focus`s pressure in a smaller area...

:tumblewee

archerwin
02-16-2007, 08:05 AM
yup. thanks! i learned this the hard way... the local distributor recommended the 8" pad for the 6" backing plate of the DW443. They said that the 6.5" is too small for the 6" backing plate... well being a newbie, I trusted their recommendation...

it just goes to show that not all distributors know their products well. :(

wannafbody
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
many use a 6.5inch pad with a 6 inch backing plate