PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to start out

RyanDe680
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I have detailed my car before, several times. When I say detail, I usually wash, clay, polish and then wax. Pretty simple process. I lolly-gag a lot, but on average, it has taken me 2-3 hours...

I used to have a BMW, was a blast to detail. The paint was wonderful. Now I have a 2006Lexus that I have not detailed yet, so I am unsure as to how the paint is to work with.

I`ve been a lurker here for almost 3 years. There is so much information on here.

I will be getting a PC 7424 and a Makita 9227CY for my upcoming birthday in June. :dance I`ve used a cheapo rotary before, but am looking forward to "more professional" detailing tools.

I have used Meguiars polish before, but never the extent that you guys go to. I have also used Vanilla Moose polish and it has `done the job` before, but I think I want to try something else.

I love Pinnacle wax on black. It works like a dream. I am definitely open to others.

Basically, where do I start? The more I read, the more I get confused. I know everyone has their own process here, and the acronyms seem numerous, so much so that I had to print them out and reference them when reading posts... :scared:

Opinions? Suggestions?

I`m envious of the guy with the cabinet full of supplies, knowing exactly what to use and when....

wannafbody
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Well there are several options. For OTC there is Mothers Powerpolish and Mother reflections wax or Duragloss 105 and Aquawax. If you want to step up to what many consider to be the best you can order some Zaino. ZPC is a polish, ZAIO is a cleaner sealant, and Z2pro/CS are sealants. Z8 is a spray gloss enhancer. Optimum makes some pretty good compounds that are easy to work with and Menzerna makes a full range of high quality polishes as well.

thesacrifice
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
3 hours? a full on wash clay polish sealant dress takes me atleast 2-3x that.

RyanDe680
02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Well there are several options. For OTC there is Mothers Powerpolish and Mother reflections wax or Duragloss 105 and Aquawax. If you want to step up to what many consider to be the best you can order some Zaino. ZPC is a polish, ZAIO is a cleaner sealant, and Z2pro/CS are sealants. Z8 is a spray gloss enhancer. Optimum makes some pretty good compounds that are easy to work with and Menzerna makes a full range of high quality polishes as well.

Thanks, I will look into those. Everyone here seems to speak highly for the most part about Optimum.

RyanDe680
02-14-2007, 03:09 PM
3 hours? a full on wash clay polish sealant dress takes me atleast 2-3x that.

Well, like I said, just wash, polish and wax... Exterior only. I tend to neglect the interior more often, which is bad.

coupe
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, like I said, just wash, polish and wax... Exterior only. I tend to neglect the interior more often, which is bad.

If your doing it properly it should take you much much much longer than that.

Smashraj84
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Just a proper wash and dry takes me an hour from when I take the buckets out of the garage until my car is completely dry.

If you are really doing a good job in 2-3 hours, a PC should shorten your time even more.

Smashraj84
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Just a proper wash and dry takes me over an hour from when I take the buckets out of the garage until my car is completely dry.

If you are really doing a good job in 2-3 hours, a PC should shorten your time even more.

imported_themightytimmah
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
If your doing it properly it should take you much much much longer than that.

Not for a chemical polish or filler polish - e.g. AIO or Deep Crystal step #2. For paint correction - definetly. I`m pretty good with a rotary and I doubt I could knock out a swirl-free job in less than 4.

RyanDe680
02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, okay.

My questions/concerns aren`t really with time...

More or less with process and product(s)... I have been compiling a list of those products used by members with great results for specific cars...

I just want to be sure I have and am using the "right tools" for the job.

Grimm
02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
If I were you, my first order of business would be to hit the Search button and look for any posts involving a Lexus.