PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for touching up Ivory Pearl?

drtech
02-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Got some rock chips on my newly painted front bumper, sigh... I`m new to touching up but after reading Picus`s article on touching up, want to give it a try. Bought touch up paint from paintscratch.com, unigrit 3000 and Menzerna IP. I`m going to polish by hand as I don`t have a PC. Anyone who`s good at touch up please give me some tips, especially those who have experience with Ivory Pearl color. I would like to try my best to match the color. Also, if my front bumper is newly painted, how long do I have to wait before I touch up and polish?

Thanks.

drtech
02-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Please help...

imported_themightytimmah
02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Pearl can be tough - I`ve touched it up before, and never gotten it quite right. Is the touchup a 1-step (single stage), 2-step (BC/CC) or 3-step (BC/Pearl/CC) combination?

You are probably not going to get a perfect color match, but do your best and try to leave a very slight "bump" - the touchup higher than existing paint. Do it with a toothpick. Let it cure for 24 hours, then sand until it is even. Hand polishing is a pain - use a cotton (terry) towel folded in 4 and work the scratch out. Use a MF and finer polish if you`ve got it.

La Porta
02-15-2007, 01:55 AM
It sounds like you are in a place where that can happen frequently. Once you get it all fixed, why not hit up a bra?

drtech
02-15-2007, 04:25 AM
It`s a 3-stage paint...I have had a clear bra before the accident, it`s really nice...but as I am keeping my car for one year more, a clear bra doesn`t seem worth it...