PDA

View Full Version : LC pads vs. Megs Pads

Pages : [1] 2

mose
02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I was picking up some Megs products from a local dealer here and noticed that they had two yellow pads on the wall. I knew that I needed a couple more but really wanted to stay with my LC pads. I bought one of them and used it first thing on the Tahoe I just did.

It didn`t seem to cut as well as the LC pads do. Anyone else notice this big of a difference?

wannafbody
02-13-2007, 09:16 PM
the Megs yellow are pretty soft- they are polishing pads not cutting pads. I`d rate them more as a finishing pad, they do work fairly well with a rotary.

Setec Astronomy
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah, if you thought yellow = cutting with the Meg`s pads, it doesn`t. The burgundy Meg`s pad is the cutting, the yellow is polishing, and the tan is finishing. One potential downside to the Meg`s pads is they recommend you don`t wash them.

justin30513
02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
One potential downside to the Meg`s pads is they recommend you don`t wash them.

If they can ever get their glue right, they would have an awesome pad.

Envious Eric
02-13-2007, 11:04 PM
^^^^^agreed...the glue on the back sucks...I would almost rather have them sent to me separated and I would glue them myself! especially the burgandy ones

I love the LC pads because you have a full line of pads to choose from - sealant pad, to light polish, to heavy polish, to light cut, to heavy cut... plus the backing has never fallen off one for me

mose
02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Well that explains everything!! I guess I will have to get some burgundy pads then. My yellow pads are getting close to being worn out and I have ANOTHER Tahoe this weekend. Thanks for the help!!

Eliot Ness
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Supposedly Meg`s changed the glue on their pads sometime back....... but I can`t really remember where or when I read that. I have had a couple of the yellow and tan pads for at least a couple of years and haven`t had any problems with the glue (yet). I do wash them with a pad cleaner, but those pads I have never tried to clean in a washer.

Mike (Setec Astronomy) is right though, Meg`s does not recommend washing them. I think they say to store them in a plastic bag (not sealed) and to brush them off before using.

mose
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
So just let the product dry in them and then crush tme out before the next use?

Eliot Ness
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
So just let the product dry in them and then brush tme out before the next use?Yeah, something like that (according to Meg`s), below is a link where Mike Phillips from Meg`s talks about pad cleaning:

How to clean Meguiar`s foam buffing pads - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3598)

Like I mentioned, I have washed my pads w/o any problems, and in post # 8 of the above thread Mike talks about the upgraded adhesive. I`m not saying that some aren`t still having problems with the Velcro coming off, but it isn`t something I have had a problem with on the few Meg`s pads that I use...... but I don`t use them everyday (or as often) as a pro might.

mose
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I picked up two of the maroon/purple pads last night....amazing what happens when you get the right equipment!! :wall

Thanks for the help guys!!:2thumbs:

wannafbody
02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I`ve noticed that the Megs pads lose their roundness after washing

mose
02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
According to Megs yer not supposed to wash them.....so that would fix that problem!:wall

I can`t see not washing them though. I understand the product specific thought process and for the most part that works.....but I would thing that the pads would fill up with product eventually no matter how many times you brushed them out.

Envious Eric
02-15-2007, 05:59 PM
wash them all you want...get a bucket with some APC, and a bucket with clean water...let the pad soak in the APC for a while, then rinse out with the clean water....that is how I do all my pads, no matter the make, and I have yet to have the backing fall off a new pad...1 - washing in the washer and 2 - using pads on a PC (with too small a backing plate) with a hole in the velcro for centering are what cause my pads to fail....

I switched to a 6" backing plate with a 6.5-6.75" pad and the PC works a lot better and smoother...going from a 5" megs backing plate on the same pads....

BlackElantraGT
02-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I`m never buying any more Meg`s pad. Like someone said, at some point there was a change in the manufacturing of the Meg`s pads. I bought some older, used Meg`s pads from a member on here and his pads are holding up WAY better than any of the newer Meg`s pads I purchased from ADS and Super Autobacs. I`m assuming mine are newer since my purchases were more recent, but for all I know the purchases I made could have been from older stock.

All of mine are either out of shape (not circle any more) and/or the velco backing is starting to come loose because of the glue. All of his (which have all seen more use than any of my newer pads) are still in shape and the velcro backing is like new and his have been washed in the washer at the same time as mine.

imported_fishbonezken
02-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I have two meg`s polishing(yellow) pads and one finishing(tan) pad.

All of them have torn around the velcro line, which is not the cookie cutter effect caused by a larger backing plate.

I had to glue one of them back with Epoxy...

Wish i could purchase LC pads in my country :(