PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s #80

Major
02-12-2007, 09:33 PM
I have used this once and really like the way it looks, just curious how often can this product be applied, without damaging the clear-kote?

Thanks

Major

Mr.H
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Just use it to remove swirls. Dont think you would want to use it on a monthly basis. If your paint has been polsihed and there is nothing to remove, like swirls or scratches, use #7 instead.

imported_TheFiveO
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I would say every 2-3 months you`d be safe. More important though is that if you are having problems with swirls, you need to adjust your washing and drying habits. At Gritguard there is/was an excellent video by Mike Phillips on proper washing and drying to maintain a show car finish

How to Wash Your Car (Showcar style!) - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&q=showcargarage.com)

Envious Eric
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
you can effectively use 83 twice a year for 10+ years on most cars and be fine...thats 20 polishing sessions....

with just 80, I am sure that number must be around 50+....its relatively safe, non abrasive.....

BlueLibby04
02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I use #80 once a year. Usually every spring since I cannot wash it like I would like in the winter. Thats when the swirls are put into the paint.. At least it is with me. :wall

Major
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Just use it to remove swirls. Dont think you would want to use it on a monthly basis. If your paint has been polsihed and there is nothing to remove, like swirls or scratches, use #7 instead.

Its a "silver" and fairly new paint, so swirls at least at this point is not a problem. What about Klasse AIO as a cleaner then use Meg`s #7, which I really like as well, topped with Meg`s #26?

I was thinking that Meg`s #80 would be a great cleaner but was worried it might be too abrasive for repititive use!

Thanks

Major

Mr.H
02-12-2007, 10:32 PM
When you say you liked the appearance after using m80, was this on the car you just described or a darker color? The reason I say #7, is because m80 has some of the same oils as 7. If the paint is relatively swirl and scratch free, I see no reason to use a paint cleaner. Just wash properly and be careful not to instill scratches doing so. I`ve always read that 7 is most noticeable on darker colors. However, I sure like the gloss m80 leaves on white.

Major
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
When you say you liked the appearance after using m80, was this on the car you just described or a darker color? The reason I say #7, is because m80 has some of the same oils as 7. If the paint is relatively swirl and scratch free, I see no reason to use a paint cleaner. Just wash properly and be careful not to instill scratches doing so. I`ve always read that 7 is most noticeable on darker colors. However, I sure like the gloss m80 leaves on white.

Yes, on the car I just described. I use the "two bucket method" and I try to be careful when washing. I use detailing as therapy, and recently started moving away from synthetics and moving back to carnauba products. I know it is not as durable but the end result is so much better plus it is a garage queen. I have learned so much from this forum but sometimes simpler is better! Sort of like golf, getting so wrapped up in the mechanics that I was not enjoying the game!

Major

Accumulator
02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
..with just 80, I am sure that number must be around 50+....its relatively safe, non abrasive.....

I don`t intend to be :argue and I might be misreading the above, but while #80 is pretty mild, it`s not *non* abrasive. I`ve had paints (2-3 week old RM b/c repaint) for which it was *too* abrasive, left some not-so-micro marring from its initial cut. But yeah, that`s rare and with a mild pad, the PC, and no pressure #80 is mild enough to use fairly often. Still, it`s quite a bit more abrasive than some other paint cleaners, including AIO. More abrasive than Meg`s #9 too, let alond the Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner.

And yeah, other than any cleaning/correction that the abrasives in #80 provide, the look it imparts comes from the "trade secret oils", which are in a lot of Meguiar`s products, including the (truly) nonabrasive "pure poishes" #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2 Polish.

Scottwax
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
You normally shouldn`t have to deep polish more than a couple times a year, and for that, #80 is perfectly safe for the long term life of your clear coat.

BigAl3
02-13-2007, 01:26 PM
You normally shouldn`t have to deep polish more than a couple times a year, and for that, #80 is perfectly safe for the long term life of your clear coat.

agreed. i usually polish 2-3 times a year and doing it more than that shouldn`t be necessary (depending on how your wash & dry technique)...