PDA

View Full Version : First Time-Plan Correct?

gojoego
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I have a 2004 F-350 SuperCab truck, silver in color, and I want to detail it this spring. I have always kept it washed and waxed, so there is a good layer of wax on it today. There are very few light swirls and scratches if you look at it in the right light. So I am not sure if I should clay it or not, but I am going to plan on claying. Here is the process and products I plan to use.

1. Good wash job (Two bucket method - TBM)

2. Use 4 Star Ultimate Spray and Clay

3. Wash again (TBM)

4. Polish with Meguiar’s # 83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
Use PC-7424
Apply polish with Sonus DAS Orange Foam Pad,
PC speed setting =3.5
Remove polish with Sonus MF Buffing Bonnet,
PC speed setting = 4

5. Pre-Clean with Klasse AIO
Use PC-7424
Apply pre-cleaner with Sonus DAS Green Foam Pad,
PC speed setting = 3
Remove pre-cleaner with Sonus MF Buffing bonnet,
PC speed setting = 4

6. Protect with 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection
Use PC-7424
Apply Protection with Sonus DAS Blue Foam Pad,
PC speed setting = 3
Remove protection with Sonus MF Buffing bonnet,
PC speed setting = 4

Do I have the products correct? Used in the correct order? The correct Sonus Pad? The correct PC speed setting?

I won’t be able to complete all 6 steps in one day, and the truck stays outside at night. It is too big to fit in the garage. What steps should I complete on day 1 and what steps should I complete on day 2?

I already own the PC-7424 and the Sonus Pads. All other products I will be buying before I start. Please feel free to suggest alternate products, but include info such as Sonus pad to apply and Sonus pad to remove and PC speed setting.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge,

Joe

VroomVroom
04-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Just a couple of thoughts...

1. You might try the DACP first with the green pad. You mentioned that you have light swirls, so I`d start with the least abrasive and move up.

2. I`ve not used Klasse, but since you`re spending money on Four Star products already, you might save a few Samolians by purchasing a detail kit that contains their ultimate paint cleanser (UPC). I`m a big fan of the one-two punch of UPC and UPP. I also really like their clay bars - they`re the ones I use most.

I mention this based on the advice I`ve received, most of which has come from one member here, so I`m sure you`ll get some other advice as well. Good luck with the detail!

Take care,
Jerry

Boss_429
04-30-2005, 07:30 AM
gojoego,

I think you have the steps in pretty good order, but I have some recommended changes with your processes.

First, some suggestions:

DACP can be a little "fussy" to use with a PC if you haven`t used it before. Meguiar`s #80 (Speed Glaze) may be a better choice and less abrasive than the DACP.

Anyhow, if you use the DACP, make note of this:

After you work the DACP over a 2` x 2` area... check closely for remaining swirls.

If they are all "gone" in one pass, you have probably chosen a product/pad combination that is too abrasive. (it has removed the paint below the depth of the swirls - this doesn`t happen often... but occassionally)

Check for remaining swirls CLOSELY!

If they are all "gone", or mostly "gone" after two passes, you probably came pretty close with the product/pad combination. Ideally, "mostly" gone is better, as now you can step down to a slightly less abrasive product/pad combination like #80 to finish off the swirls without removing too much paint.

Check for remaining swirls CLOSELY! :D

If you really want to perfect the finish, after products like #83 and #80, step down to a final polish like Menzerna FP II or similar to "burnish" the paint and finish off any remaining imperfections. This is especially helpful on light colors which need all the "POP" they can get. In your case, the AIO may perform this function fine.

Now, some recommended changes with your process:

Step #1 looks good.

Step #2 looks good.

Step #3 might not be needed. Try a quick wipe down with a product like Spray & Wipe or a good QD. If you have a "lot" of clay residue (you shouldn`t)... go for the wash.

On step #4, I would use the DACP at a speed of about 4.5 to 5. The Sonus orange pad sounds about right.

I would remove the DACP immediately after working a section with an MF towel (by hand). Skip removal with a PC.

On step #5, I would probably remove the AIO by hand with an MF towel after working each section. The green pad sounds about right.

Step #6 looks good. However, clean and dry that orange pad after use. When you go to remove the UPP, use it over top of the firmer orange pad to help with the removal/final buffing.

HondaMan
04-30-2005, 10:44 AM
You don`t need to wash again after the claying -- just towel off with a MF towel and a water spritz spray. Absolutely no need to re-wash after the claying.

gojoego
04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the input so far. It looks like it is going to snow and or rain for the next few days, so now car detailing this weekend.

When I get started, I won`t be able to complete all 6 steps in one day, what would be a good point to quit for the day?

Thanks again,
Joe

HondaMan
04-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input so far. It looks like it is going to snow and or rain for the next few days, so now car detailing this weekend.

Same weather here in NY....I waited for a 45-minute window to wash the car outside and hose it off and dry it. With the weather turning, I am doing all the other steps in my garage. I have heat -- can bring it to 65 degrees or so -- but even without heat in the 40`s, you can detail without worrying about rain. A bit cramped, but something to do in lousy weather -- just have to do Step 1 (the wash) outside, and then you can even dry it inside. All other detailing steps can be done in a garage.

When I get started, I won`t be able to complete all 6 steps in one day, what would be a good point to quit for the day?

Stop after 1 layer of sealant since you want that to bond for 18-24 hours anyway. I let my sealant sit for a few hours anyway, and after I remove it, the clock starts towards the next application.

I take 30-45 minutes to wash and dry the car; claying is time-consuming (60-90 minutes, depending on how throrough I want to be with all the nooks and crannies); I don`t need to use the PC and SSR`s on my 1-year old car (yet) so I go straight to polishing with AIO (30-45 minutes, unless I let it sit and harden which you don`t need to do as it`s WOWO), and finally the sealants like EX-P or Klasse SG which take 15 minutes to apply, but which I might let sit a few hours and then take another 15-20 minutes to wipe off.

Total Time: About 3 hours, exclusive of breaks and letting stuff dry where I go inside and do other things ! :D