PDA

View Full Version : Time estimate, Rotary vs PC?

Changeling
02-11-2007, 04:58 PM
With a given vehicle in "X condition" that a PC could handle what would a good estimate be for the time it would take to polish it out to through final prep with a PC vs a rotary?

Changeling

imported_DieselMDX
02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
For normal swirls it usually takes me about 5 hrs to polish with PC

with Rotary less than half, tho i have never used one

David Fermani
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I would think that on a light job like minor swirls, it would take atleast 1/2 the amount of time with a rotary in comparison to a PC. With a heavier job like compounding, it would take 3-5 times longer with a PC that with a rotary. That`s if the job could actually be done with a PC. For removing a scratch that can *almost* be felt with a finger nail, it takes me 10 minutes with rotary to wool pad, foam pad and then wax. That identical job would probably take 30-45 minutes with a PC.

Invigor
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I did a full meal deal on a black 2003 Nissan Sentra with my makita rotary and the full line of menzerna power gloss, intensive polish, fpII and FMJ (applied and removed by hand) in about 2.5 hours. I stopped to chat it up with a few people in between. This didn`t include the time it took to wash and dry.

I have never tried a full menu with a PC before...it just doesn`t sound appealing to spend 5 hours (or more!) vibrating my arms out of their sockets. rotaries are sooo smooth to use...and only weighs 6.6lbs. It took me about 2 months before I could do a whole car without my arms tiring out...now I can do a 3 step cut back to back product without tiring out..but it gets me sweatin pretty good.

^&04types
02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I would think that on a light job like minor swirls, it would take atleast 1/2 the amount of time with a rotary in comparison to a PC. With a heavier job like compounding, it would take 3-5 times longer with a PC that with a rotary. That`s if the job could actually be done with a PC. For removing a scratch that can *almost* be felt with a finger nail, it takes me 10 minutes with rotary to wool pad, foam pad and then wax. That identical job would probably take 30-45 minutes with a PC.

and what speeds do u use the rotary at when removin a scratch?

David Fermani
02-12-2007, 06:56 AM
and what speeds do u use the rotary at when removin a scratch?

Anywhere between 1000 and 2000 rpms.

imported_themightytimmah
02-12-2007, 03:24 PM
With a given vehicle in "X condition" that a PC could handle what would a good estimate be for the time it would take to polish it out to through final prep with a PC vs a rotary?

Changeling

It`s not a big time saver on an "almost good" vehicle with soft paint - something that needs a finishing pad and FPII, for example. The worse the condition and harder the paint, the more the time divide. I did a black Audi with key marks, deep swirls, scuffs, etc in 5 hours via rotary. I`ve seen people spend 12+ hours taking out moderate marring (far better than this car) on Audis.

Envious Eric
02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
It`s not a big time saver on an "almost good" vehicle with soft paint - something that needs a finishing pad and FPII, for example. The worse the condition and harder the paint, the more the time divide. I did a black Audi with key marks, deep swirls, scuffs, etc in 5 hours via rotary. I`ve seen people spend 12+ hours taking out moderate marring (far better than this car) on Audis.

agreed!!!!

i have spent 9 hours on a volvo with rock hard clear....brugandy pad and PG took about 3 passes to start to clear up enough to move onto the next step...way too long....I hated that detail! Now, with a rotary, I think it would have been closer to 5 hours

imported_Grouse
02-12-2007, 08:11 PM

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/85158-2004-nogaro-s4-detail-56k-upgrade.html

case in point.

PG with yellow edge pad was about 8 hours give or take 1/2 an hour

IP on green edge pad was about 2.5 hours.

FPII on blue edge 2k pad was about 1 hour or so.

Total time was just shy of 12 hours. to get 70-75% out by porter cable.

Changeling
02-13-2007, 03:48 PM
The answers in this post have taught/shown me more than reading and searching my butt off ! I only wish I had used that lump sitting on my shoulders a long time ago to ask these questions!!

I really appreciate the answers and advise you guys have given, I am sincerely honest in my appreciation and hope someday to repay you in some way.

Changeling

trhland
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
For normal swirls it usually takes me about 5 hrs to polish with PC

with Rotary less than half, tho i have never used one

ive heard a pro on another site that polishing with a rotory will do a great job in less time but not a perfect job there will be some halos in the paint there for needing to follow up with the p/c to make it perfect

imported_themightytimmah
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
ive heard a pro on another site that polishing with a rotory will do a great job in less time but not a perfect job there will be some halos in the paint there for needing to follow up with the p/c to make it perfect

It depends - its a combination of pad, polish, paint and user skill. I can finish out perfect on 90% of the paints out there if I use a finishing pad and FPII. Sometimes I need to break out the PC or cyclo to get them out - mostly on super soft paint or if I`m having a real bad day.

David Fermani
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM

I depends on a couple of things. During times of high humidity, I always finish with a PC to lessen the chance for cloudyness. If I have a car that has a lot of tight spots or trim, I`ll do it by hand to avoid overlap. I really like using paste wax because it`s easy to spread and easy to remove. Also, some finishes are so sensitive to swirls, that a PC lays the wax down really uniform and reduces the chance for smeary, steaky, swirls. Your pre-waxed/LSP finish has alot to do with what I`l reach for to finish with.