PDA

View Full Version : How to correctly wash a salted car?

mikebai1990
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Do you guys have any tips to wash a car that is loaded with salt? I`m using a conventional wash with Meguiars GC (no foam gun, unfortunately), 2 Ultra Plush Wash Mitt, and Northeast weather :)

I`m currently working with 1x3 ft areas, but I`m still very afraid that I am causing marring when I go over the salted areas with my wash mitt. Do you guys have any tips?

holland_patrick
02-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I`l take Poorboys Bg Squash 1 to 2-3 parts water in a sprayer and presoak the heavy salt and the underside.

then wash and rinse as normal

HenrikP
02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Definately try get most of it off with your pre-soak/rinse.

imported_SHICKS
02-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I`m using ONR on salted cars without marring. Seems to work well.

mikebai1990
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I try to rinse of as much as possible, but every time I go over it with the mitt, I can hear the salt being collected by the wash mitt. In these cases, I`m always worried that there will be marring.

AL-53
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I go to the pay and spray wash at night....I bring my own bucket with soap and water mixed already with a lid on the bucket.....I mix a spray bottle up with some car soap& water...spray the truck with it...use the rinse water to spray the truck to get all the salt and grit off..then I use a mitt and my wash to wash the truck and rinse again....

Al

mikebai1990
02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Do you guys think that spraying the car with some QD before washing will help with the lubrication? I`ll try the soap+water tip next time before I wash.

David Fermani
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Salt is actually really easy to rinse off with just water. It`s the oil from the road that stays on after that needs most of the attention to remove properly.

itb76
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Do you guys think that spraying the car with some QD before washing will help with the lubrication? I`ll try the soap+water tip next time before I wash.

I`ve been doing ONR car washes for several weeks now, and I`m crazy about it. The QD mixture recommended in the directions makes the dirt and salt melt away before you start your wash. Costs more than soap but I`ve had very good luck so far.

imported_Picus
02-11-2007, 10:53 PM
I pre-soak cars with a lot of salt on them. Usually a qd diluted ONR or a really highly diluted APC like PB`s apc or hi-temp extra.