PDA

View Full Version : Strange electrical prob - any ideas?

CamV6
02-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Strange stuff on my TT

First the drivers side vanity light goes, then a week or so later, the passenger side goes too.

So, I presumed the bulb had blown and took the opportunity to order some interior xenons from Audi TT Stuff-Audi TT Performance Parts and Audi TT Accessories (http://www.ttstuff.com)

Went to fit them today and the original bulbs are fine, not blown, and it appears there`s no power going to the fitting because the new bulb wont work either

I cant get my head round this. Surely, if it was a fuse then the reading/map lights in the middle wouldnt work either?

I`ve just been out and checked the fuses. They all seem ok, so I`m at a total loss now.

Can you think of anything at all?

Regards, Cam

Setec Astronomy
02-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Couldn`t it just be as simple as the wire feeding power to those two lamps is broken/disconnected? If the car is new, talk to the dealer, they may know where the wires are routed and if it`s a common problem. Or if there is a specific forum for TT`s and it`s common I`m sure someone there will know how to fix it.

Do those vanity lights have a dimmer? It`s also possible there are some local electronics associated with that that are faulty and have burned out, preventing them from lighting while the fuses and wiring are intact.

sspeer
02-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Ahh..the joys of VW/Audi electrical systems.

I wonder where the wires for the vanity mirrors meet..I would doubt that it`s 1 common wire..so perhaps they meet at a wiring harness ..or heaven forbid a control module.

Have you tried any boards such as vwvortex?

EOppie
03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
If you have a multi/volt meter you could check the contacts on the bulbs for voltage. It would also be a good chance to check for a contact to ground via a continuity setting. If you don`t have one of these tools, swing by a pep-boys or advance auto parts. Usually they will let you borrow tools for a bit, and this will only take a few seconds to check in the parking lot.