PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Detergent

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

snowskate
02-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Do any of you ever recommend using Dawn Detergent?

I live in Boston and usually break it out for the first full detail day of the spring season. I figure it strips down the car and lets me build up an good coat of wax evenly throughout the year. But I notice that the first 2 waxing sessions or so are `labor intensive`, probably because the wax doesn`t want to come off such a wax starved surface.

Is this a good idea? Or is there no reason to use Dawn detergent?

tom p.
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
there are much more effective de-waxers. The Dawn thing is bordering on myth.

(it`s difficult for me to understand the need to start another thread when there are already 100+ identical threads...)

mikebai1990
02-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Instead of using Dawn detergent, I would rather do a good claying and polishing. This will prep the surface and strip the wax better than Dawn would.

P-nut
02-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I think the whole Dawn thing got started because Zaino recommends that the prep work begin with a Dawn washing. It`s on their website.

carpetyd
02-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I have been using Dawn since the early 70`s, during warmer weather I wash my cars at least once a week. I have tried them all & always go back to Dawn. I also have been using Zaino since 2000 & find that Dawn has no effect on Zaino. Dawn is not meant to replace claying or polishing, it is only used as a great car wash.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Carpet, you need to do a little research on Dawn as a wash soap......Its not a widely (Autopian) accepted product for regular car care maintanence......

mikebai1990
02-10-2007, 01:42 PM
But it just seems like a detergent designed for removing oil/grease is not the best wash shampoo for a car. I still think that car wash soap is a better choice, simply because it is designed for lubrication and removal of dirty particles.

carpetyd
02-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Carpet, you need to do a little research on Dawn as a wash soap......Its not a widely (Autopian) accepted product for regular car care maintanence......

I do not require any research, nor do I have to use accepted products. I have, as a few winners of concours events have, used the product for many years. We use products that we find successful. As I said I have been using it over 30 years & I am very pleased.

Conrad

Whitethunder46
02-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I do not require any research, nor do I have to use accepted products. I have, as a few winners of concours events have, used the product for many years. We use products that we find successful. As I said I have been using it over 30 years & I am very pleased.

Conrad

You got to learn to ignore half the stuff on this forum. Half of it is all attacking words because it`s not the "norm" that "autopian`s" use.

If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont find a lot of value in a product when its manufacturer recommends it not be used in automobile cleaning.....Of course theres bound to be a product in my arsenal that doesnt list a particular use for an item I have, and use it for.

As for Whitethunder, the other 1/2 of those responses/replies come from very knowlegable and experienced detailers.......Dont be so pessimistic.....

I dont recall ever seeing Dawn available at any detailing e-commerce sites, maybe theres a reason? Or even in a auto stores detailing section, makes me wonder a little....:work:

pogo123
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
there are much more effective de-waxers. The Dawn thing is bordering on myth.

(it`s difficult for me to understand the need to start another thread when there are already 100+ identical threads...)

Well stated advice that is about to be totally ignored. We`re off and running, AGAIN!:laugh:

tom p.
02-10-2007, 05:33 PM
We`re off and running, AGAIN!:laugh:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/hide.gif

Agreed. Why can`t common sense prevail on this kind of material? The mfr says it`s not suitable for use on vehicles. How much more do we "need" to know??

carpetyd
02-10-2007, 05:58 PM
I dont find a lot of value in a product when its manufacturer recommends it not be used in automobile cleaning.....Of course theres bound to be a product in my arsenal that doesnt list a particular use for an item I have, and use it for.

As for Whitethunder, the other 1/2 of those responses/replies come from very knowlegable and experienced detailers.......Dont be so pessimistic.....

I dont recall ever seeing Dawn available at any detailing e-commerce sites, maybe theres a reason? Or even in a auto stores detailing section, makes me wonder a little....:work:

No, you don`t see Dawn on any auto detailing shelves, but at the same time you don`t see many PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS WINNERS purchasing their products from these shelves.

Wonder why?

There are many items used by detailers that are not found in auto stores, but does that make them not safe or not suitable for car use. Most, NOT ALL, manufactures of detailing products want to market only their products, if they recommended other items they would not be selling theirs.

justin30513
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I`m hearing that car show guys are now using Woolite on their cars.

Who knows.

Then again, terry towels and diapers were the rave for 20+ years until MicroFiber appeared. To each their own. If it works for you, you shouldn`t should not be shunned upon for it.

I love NXT but damn near got murdered here because of it!

LOL!

carpetyd
02-10-2007, 06:58 PM
I`m hearing that car show guys are now using Woolite on their cars.

Who knows.

Then again, terry towels and diapers were the rave for 20+ years until MicroFiber appeared. To each their own. If it works for you, you shouldn`t should not be shunned upon for it.

I love NXT but damn near got murdered here because of it!

LOL!

Woolite, Windex, lacquer thinner, wd-40, olive oil, .............

Thanks