PDA

View Full Version : Should pads be dampened with water?

johny
02-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I was wondering if it is better to apply some water to a foam pad when handwaxing. I have tried it both ways (dry pad and damp). I haven`t noticed a difference in the final results, but a pre-dampened (is that even a word?) pad seems to spread the wax better. Thanks for any info.

BobD
02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
I never do but I know a lot of people do and they don`t seem to have a problem with it. If you do do this I recommend using distilled water.

Ern
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I spray the pad sometimes with a quick detailer 1 or 2 good sprays. Sometimes I dont.

Dan
02-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I find I waste less product in the pad if I do spray, especially with really hard waxes. Also if using a QD it seems like the pad is easier to wash. Some companies like Meguiars specifically recommend against it though.

3Dog
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I will "mist" a pad with XMT Pad Conditioner. Works well for me.

imported_smprince1
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
For hard paste waxes like Megs #16 I do slightly dampen the applicator.... seems to help spread and doesn`t seem to have any negative effects.

Invigor
02-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I`ve never done it hand polishing, but always always always do it while compounding and polishing...makes it a little messy, but that doesn`t bother me as the polish just glides on like butter and helps get 100% coverage...I just use water, I don`t waste the q.d. on that.

I`ll have to give it a whirl with hand polishing.

Accumulator
02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I too do it both ways, not that I notice any huge functional differnce. Some waxes recommend a damp applicator (e.g., 476S). I usually apply `em by machine and I never dampen the pads lest it sling the dampening agent everywhere.

For hard paste waxes like Megs #16 I do slightly dampen the applicator....

That`s intersting as #16 is one where I *don`t* moisten it. What I do is move the applicator quickly over the top of the wax (in the can) until the wax turns liquid and distributes itself on the applicator. Your method probably uses a little less wax though.

tom p.
02-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I usually dampen the pad or applicator. As noted, many products recommend it AND it prevent the pad from absorbing so much of the product.

I keep two very small spray bottles I found at CVS for $0.99 each. One is filled with dist water, the other with a 50/50 mix of IPA and dist water. They come in very handy for many tasks. FWIW, quite a few laptop mfrs recommend the 50/50 blend for screen cleaning.

johny
02-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I appreciate everybody`s input. I think Nu-Finish directs you to dampen your pad (that was the first sealant that I ever used) and I guess the habit pretty much stuck with me for several years. I currently use NXT Tech Wax ... the bottle doesn`t say anything about using water on the pad, so that is why I was curious.

HenrikP
02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Moistening your applicator pad is going to allow to do a couple things that will benefit you and the paint. One, you will save a lot of product. Two, the product will be easier to apply. And three, the product will be applied more evenly. It is a good idea to do two thin coats of wax using this method because you`re applying a thinner coat of product than you are w/o water and two thin coats is better than one thick coat.

imported_Nimble
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Moistening your applicator pad is going to allow to do a couple things that will benefit you and the paint. One, you will save a lot of product. Two, the product will be easier to apply. And three, the product will be applied more evenly. It is a good idea to do two thin coats of wax using this method because you`re applying a thinner coat of product than you are w/o water and two thin coats is better than one thick coat.

Would a product like 4 stars clay lube or pb`s quick detailer spray work for this too?

Spilchy
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I too moisten my applicator pads for wax applications. Helps for thin, even coats.

I like to match the manufacturer of the wax with the QD.

For example:

#16 gets #34 misting

Natty`s and Natty`s Blue get PB S&G misting

Pink Wax gets #425 misting

Souveran and Signature get CM misting

CK Carnauba Moose gets QS misting (even though it is a liquid wax)

Some don`t have QD`s (that I own) so for Collinite 476s, 3M PI-III Show Car, Blitz and P21s gets Eagle One Wipe n` Shine misting.

Those are the waxes I use.

I also like to mist the panel with the matching QD to help remove the hazed wax and add some extra pop.

sspeer
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I tried a few spritz of the distilled H2O last polish with FPII and it worked well...so I`m going to continue with it

SVR
02-11-2007, 11:28 PM
XMT for me also. Also do it when hand polishing and the panel gets sprayed with quik shine as well.

Some polishes work better by hand on a wet panel