PDA

View Full Version : Dealer paint protection

Pages : [1] 2 3

m_i_k_i_e
02-09-2007, 02:12 AM
hellos,

I just bought a new honda and got suckered into getting the LIFETIME paint protection package. They did not tell me, and the contract does not state, that I have to come back for reapplications.

So could this be a different kind of protectant then what has been previously mentioned on this forums? I have only read about protectants with 3 or 5 year warranties.

Also, I would like to know how to remove this crap off my car.

thanks.

imported_steveo3002
02-09-2007, 05:39 AM
nah , chances are its just like all those other paint sealer packages you read about

a mild polish should take it off no problems, although i would just go ahead and wax with a quality brand wax until the car actualy needs a polish up

imported_turbomangt
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
welcome to the dealer trap, how much did they charge you for this? I used to do this for a dealer, I charged them $150 they turned around and charged the customer $1100. :confused:

imported_JoshVette
02-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Most I hear about charge between $350-500.

Smashraj84
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I don`t see how anyone can be "suckered" into it. They ask you and all you have to do is firmly say "no." If they didn`t ask you and it`s not in the contract, make sure you`re not paying for it. If you are, then I would bring it up with the manager.

imported_turbomangt
02-09-2007, 09:51 AM
People buy into it for two reasons, they are uneducated and the dealers over sell it. When a dealer says it will last 5/10 /15 years? that s sounds appealing to people. considering most people don`t know that nothing lasts that long, they lay down the cash.

Invigor
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I work at a dealership and we sell a paint sealant for $199, I believe. Nobody seems to really know anything about it, and I think it`s a hoax, and to top it off, it`s a B**** to remove and really gets ya sweating.

Also, we have DiamondKote on our 06 jetta (well, probably not anymore since I`ve buffed the snot outta it with Klasse and FPII). I was never impressed with it...what`s the deal with this stuff and how does it compare with paint sealant autopians use, like menzerna`s FMJ for instance?

They say the sealant at the dealership protects against acid rain, and all that jazz...what`s the deal? Is it as much of a lie as I think it is? It only comes with 3yr warranty.

coupe
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I cant belive dealers havent been sued for this yet.

imported_Astral
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Everybody`s expects to be suckered in at the dealer, maybe that`s why.

imported_JoshVette
02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
My roomate got suckered into this and I tell him all the time about products I use and detailing his car for cheap, but he still bought there $330 package and the dealership told him they`d wash it anytime for the lifetime of it............he`s had it over a month and hasn`t taken it to them to wash or wax one time yet.:dig

mose
02-09-2007, 12:18 PM
A friend of mine bought a Hyundai Azera and got that Xylon protectant all over his paint and interior. It`s got a lifetime warranty against anything supposedly. The car looks nice but not detailed. There are swirls all over it and he wants has taken it back a few times now. They haven`t fixed anything. His girlfriend bought a cheap leather black leather jacket and got black dye all over his tan leather seats......that is supposed to be covered as well. Everythings warrantied/guaranteed but the car doesn`t look as good as it could. Plus it`s not as protected as it could be. But at least he has a guarantee!!

Junebug
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I have a friend that sells Toyota`s. He tells me that there are plenty of back-door gimmicks that dealers do to get extra cash from you. The ToyoGuard for $699 is a prime example - the only thing it does that`s worth a crap is it gives you a loaner car if you have to have work done. The other rip-offs - there`s a dealer that`s advertising life time warranty on your car, bumper to bumper, no milage cap. How does that work? Well, the dealer buys the warranty from a company for 200 bucks - then adds it into your price for $1,700.00 and then there`s the fine print, if you don`t take it back to this dealer for ALL scheduled maintenance per the owners manual, it`s voided. And, those 15K and 30K vistits are several hundred bucks each, even a oil change is 35 dollars. And the Finance boy will try to talk you into extra`s like life insurance, gap insurance etc. Like the old saying, BUYER BEWARE!

David Fermani
02-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Please note that not all paint protection warranties are written the same way. You really need to read and understand the whole contract. Alot of them have hidden areas that require you to reapply the sealant annually or it will void your warranty. These are most likely sold by dealers who self-insure themselves. Most people don`t follow the terms of the contract and think their vehicle doesn`t need to be re-applied and they loose out on the service/benefit of the system. A good system/application center will fully explain the contract and make sure the customer is contacted annually for the reapplication. A friend of mine runs a top of the line application center and does over $million per year in protection services and seems to have it down to a science. This service is not usually embraced by Autopians, but can be help and benefit alot of people.

Junebug
02-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I seem to get cars from people that think that trip through the coin wash once a year is all you need! But, I like challenges and I love the look I get when they see their car after I`m done with it.

imported_Larry A
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
The last time I got a new car was in 2001. My wife insisted that I get the insurance that pays for the car if you are disabled. Well 1yr later I went on disability and they made the payments ever after. I only wish I bought a better car.