PDA

View Full Version : Heavy or medium polish??? (pics)

Pages : [1] 2

BONE
02-09-2007, 12:06 AM
I bought this for a daily driver maybe 2 months ago. Havent had time to detail it til yesterday. Once I got it washed and clayed and out in the sun to examine it she was worse than I thought, up close. :eek:

This is how it looks like from a far and washed. Not too bad. About avg for 4 year paint, (considering the avg person who doesnt know a thing about caring for vehicles).....

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/864/bonesstuff385zw4.jpg

Then put it under some light and a close up at angles and........blam. What a disaster!!!

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1011/bonesstuff363pl3.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5568/bonesstuff336su8.jpg

I immediately thought I didnt have aggressive enough polish to work these scratches out. But I had already had everything prepped so I thought I would see how well it works.

Products used:

Porter Cable 7424

Orange LC foam pad

XMT #2 Fine Swirl Remover(This was the most aggressive polish I had)

After 3 passes on this door this is the best I could do....

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1492/bonesstuff352ct6.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9299/bonesstuff350qb0.jpg

.....I gave up after this knowing that I wasnt going to be satisfied. You can still see quite a bit of light swirls and scratches in the paint.

So after I cleaned up I went around looking at some local auto parts/paint stores to find a more aggressive polish. All they carry is light swirl removers to finishing polishes.

Now in XMT product line they have 3 steps for their polishes. I look at it like 2 cutting polishes and 1 finishing polish. Yet they call their XMT #1 Ultra Fine a cutting polish. To me thats like a finishing polish and very light swirl remover in one. So by me using XMT #2 I consider it a light polish not a medium.

For the experts in here, what do I need to remove these scratches, swirls, and imperfections? Do I need a medium or heavy polish? Yellow or orange pad? And what kind of products other than XMT? Id like to try some different brands. Ive never tried Poorboys, Zaino, Optimum, Sonus, Klasse or any others. Im interested in seeing how these work.

Sorry its long, but Id appreciate anything youd recommend.

ron231
02-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Optimum compound w/ orange followed by xmt1 or any other finishing polish

velobard
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
My first impression is that you`ve already done admirably well for paint correction with a PC. It really takes a rotary to tackle that sort of thing and even then the paint probably wouldn`t achieve perfection.

mblgjr
02-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Glad to see you`re already here as well!

:hifive:

BONE
02-09-2007, 01:53 AM
My first impression is that you`ve already done admirably well for paint correction with a PC. It really takes a rotary to tackle that sort of thing and even then the paint probably wouldn`t achieve perfection.

Thanks. I believe even though Im a rookie, I can do better than that with just a PC and a more aggressive polish. I will post pics of the end result!

BoxsterCharlie
02-09-2007, 02:43 AM
One option is to leave it be, too. You can polish a few times a year and it will just get better and better. This will leave maximum clearcoat if you are are planning to keep the vehicle for a long time. In any case just don`t go overboard with the polishing because it isn`t "free" forever. You can do it dozens of times safely but be careful with the stonger polishes!

imported_themightytimmah
02-09-2007, 02:57 AM
If you are gonna work it with a pc, it`s hard to get more cut than Menzerna PowerGloss mixed with a little bit of RMG or Optimum Polish (to reduce dusting, slinging and gumming).

Short of that (or an equivalent heavy cut compound), nothing`s going to fix that marring in one pass via PC. Optimum Compound or Hyper will do it, but be prepared to make multiple passes - you might remove a hair less clear that way, but I`d rather lose a fraction (and it is small) more clear then spend 6 more hours.

Plan on following the PG with a medium to mild polish - Optimum Polish or P0106FF come to mind.

BONE
02-09-2007, 03:08 AM
By looking at those first 2 pics you think Optimum Compound will take those scratches out in one pass or will I need the Hyper Compound?

Cause I was thinking of using:

Optimum Compound w/LC orange

Optimum Polish w/LC white

I dont want to have to do 2 or 3 passes with the compound just to get the scratches out. Ill have 14 or more hours invested from wash to wax.

jtford95
02-09-2007, 04:51 AM
I would use a light compound first.:buffing:

BONE
02-09-2007, 05:42 AM
I would use a light compound first.:buffing:

:think: Were are you at with us on this thread partner?¿?¿:lol

That seems to be pretty much what were talking about. A heavy polish and light compound pretty much overlap when it comes to a level of abrasiveness. At least while were talking about Optimum manufactures and how they describe their products.:2thumbs:

velobard
02-09-2007, 08:13 AM
His whole point was to follow the rule of starting with the least aggressive product first, then only get as aggressive as necessary. So, try the OC before moving on to OHC.

BONE
02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
His whole point was to follow the rule of starting with the least aggressive product first, then only get as aggressive as necessary. So, try the OC before moving on to OHC.

I guess I jumped the gun a bit. My apologies jtford95.

Evenflow
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I wouldn`t worry to much about the clearcoat. If your not busting the swirls, your not taking out the clearcoat.

Try some OHC/OC. Those swirls dont look like anything the PC and a compound cant work out.

coupe
02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I can tell by your after pics that you arent breaking the polish down completely, the micro marring is painfully obvious.

Not to toot my own horn, but i could easily remove all those swirls with nothing more than megs #83 and #80 and a PC.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree with Orange and OC. One pass isnt going to do it, but looking at the pics after the Xm stuff, multiple passes are obvious. You definetly left some marring for not allowing the polish to completely break down. Pick one panel and perfect your technique. Get to know pad and product, as well as speeds. I prefer 6 with the pc for bustin swirls.

OC allows for quite a bit of time for buffing, it snt going to dry up on you at all, so use it to your advantage. I would defiently say a minimum of three passes with OC, then follow up with a white pad and a finishing polish. One stepping on black with a compound is pretty difficult for a beginner.

Those will come out with a PC, just takes a little time and know-how.