PDA

View Full Version : Soft repaint

Marj
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
I had the quarter panel repainted on my G35 coupe. Now we know that the `04 factory black paint is soft to begin with, but working on the repainted panel, I find that every 2 weeks I am having to polish out light scratches. The rest of the car I only polish every 3 months. Is this normal with repaints?

coupe
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
yes, that is normal

BobD
02-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Depends on the clear they used and if you let it cure properly. Did you wax it right after it was painted?

Marj
02-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Depends on the clear they used and if you let it cure properly. Did you wax it right after it was painted?

Not immediately, but sometime after. I did inquire as to when I can wax and they said to wait about a week. I know from Mequiar`s that they say that repaints are not allowed to cure or to bake nowadays because time is money.

BobD
02-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Not immediately, but sometime after. I did inquire as to when I can wax and they said to wait about a week. I know from Mequiar`s that they say that repaints are not allowed to cure or to bake nowadays because time is money.

Yeah, generally never listen to you paint guy on how to take care of your paint. Even the top hot rod builders have horrible paint when you see them at shows. A week is not even close to being enough time. I always recommend 3-6 months. The problem with your paint could be that it just never got the chance to cure properly and it will be like that for the life of the paint now.

itb76
02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
...I did inquire as to when I can wax and they said to wait about a week...

I always heard you should wait 60 - 90 days.

velobard
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Read this post.

http://autopia.org/forum/647893-post19.html